The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tilt adapter

V

Vivek

Finally, curiosity won me over and I bought an E to OM tilt adapter (the cheapest- they are all the same sold by different vendors ~$35/shipped). It needs to be held in place with one hand, even the light weight OM lenses make it droop but it works amazingly well. When I recall how only one company supplied such ball and socket tilt adapters (prices >$500!) until few years ago, this is a very luxurious position to be in. :thumbs:

OM 50/1.2 and OM 85/2 are even more delicious with the added tilt (A7R). :)

scho

Finally, curiosity won me over and I bought an E to OM tilt adapter (the cheapest- they are all the same sold by different vendors ~$35/shipped). It needs to be held in place with one hand, even the light weight OM lenses make it droop but it works amazingly well. When I recall how only one company supplied such ball and socket tilt adapters (prices >$500!) until few years ago, this is a very luxurious position to be in. :thumbs:

OM 50/1.2 and OM 85/2 are even more delicious with the added tilt (A7R). :)
:worthless:
:D

Seriously ,looking forward to results from this combo.

V

Vivek

Here, Carl and K-H. Just horsing around with a new toy. :)

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
Sony A7R, Olympus OM 85/2, f/4, ISO2000, 1/20s, free hand, 8 deg tilt

It is dinner time and a small portion of lightly steamed broccoli (sorry could not do any mouth watering deserts).

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
Sony A7R, Olympus Zuiko Macro 50/3.5, f/11, ISO100, 2s, Digilux table pod, 8 deg tilt, remote shutter release

The "ker ching" shutter of the A7R did not disturb any of the subjects! :)

With the focus peaking feature on, it is so easy to find the plane of focus as the tilt is adjusted and/or the adapter rotated. :)

algrove

Vivek

The broccoli has a 3 D look to me. Well done. Still do not get why we should get one, but I will study the for sale items.

scho

Is it good enough for extending DOF for landscape shooting? Normally, this only requires about 1 degree of downward tilt with a dedicated TS lens like the Canon 24mm TSE.

V

Vivek

You nailed, Carl. One of the things I am interested in checking out. :)

V

Vivek

Vivek

The broccoli has a 3 D look to me. Well done. Still do not get why we should get one, but I will study the for sale items.
The post is not to urge anyone to buy such things, Lou. Just pointing out one more possibility with the A7/7R. The tilt/shift stuff is often frustrating and only the patient are rewarded.

I am sorry about the kitchen lighting. It should look better with proper/ deliberate lighting.

Ron Pfister

Thanks, Vivek! Has anyone tried the Kipon tilt-shift adapter? Looks interesting, too, but costs quite a bit more. Can be found on fleabay.

V

Vivek

Ron, I think shifting (of 35mm SLR lenses) would create major problems with vignetting dark frames, color issues, etc. Tilt is less of a problem. I would like tilt and shift in the same axis and not perpendicular to each other. This is impossible with the Kipon or the Mirex (of which the Kipon is a knock off) adapters since there isn't much room.

Ron Pfister

Thanks, Vivek! Yes, I'm aware of that. But the shift looks like it would be worthwhile for use on my NEXes. I was considering the Mirex for my D800E for a while, but after conversing with folks familiar with the MTF characteristics of readily available used MF lenses, I decided against it. The Kipon for E-mount is a different kettle of fish altogether, because I wouldn't have to buy any new lenses to use it with. Tempting...

mbroomfield

I've had one of those (tilt only) for both E and m4/3 (OM) for a while although mine is the one that rotates to tilt it (so it semi-locks in position). I had a ball and socket type but it wouldn't lock so I returned it.

Kipon now make a T/S adapter for Nikon to E mount that is a Mirex knockoff. I use one with the 25/2.8 and 18/4 distagons to Nex (ZF.1, and C/Y with Leitax respectively). I don't know if the opening is large enough for the A7's (with a medium format lens)

Ron Pfister

Thanks for your input, Mike! How do you like the C/Y 4/18 in general? I've read mixed reviews about it. I like that it has a very compact build.