The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Shutter Vibration

Auni

Very nice set-up Karl. Maybe, add a sandbag and float some RTV cement around the sensor and board and it would be perfect! :)

Ron Pfister

I tried to combat shutter shock and/or vibrations with this setup.
Looks perfect, Karl-Heinz! Have only glanced at a few of your test results, and they look very encouraging. I've had a very similar setup in mind for my APO 280. Are the plates on both tripod collars exactly at the same distance from the optical axis, or did you have to add any spacers?

k-hawinkler

Looks perfect, Karl-Heinz! Have only glanced at a few of your test results, and they look very encouraging. I've had a very similar setup in mind for my APO 280. Are the plates on both tripod collars exactly at the same distance from the optical axis, or did you have to add any spacers?
Thanks Ron. No spacers.
Just parts from RRS and Novoflex.
Tomorrow I might try how my APO 280/4 gets along with this gear.

Slingers

I hope Sony releases a statement on this as to whether they think it's an issue. What's their fix for it, if it is an issue. Eg use the battery pack or if Sony has found they can fix, release firmware

turtle

I'm aware of the concept of sharp vs blurry photos; however, as annoying as the A7R shutter vibration is (and the noise that goes with it), this is still only of relevance to those using it in a manner that results in image degradation. The size of this problem is for each person to assess, depending on their needs.

Thus far we have some significant discrepancies, depending on how the camera is mounted on a tripod (adaptor mount, camera base etc) and the focal length, grip or no grip etc. I also suspect only a small minority of people ever intended spending much time shooting adapted long non-native lenses with the A7 series.

Lets be clear: this is not a camera that 'cannot produce professional quality pictures'. Nor it is a camera that 'only occasionally produces professional quality pictures'. It is a camera that produces D800E quality pictures from a half sized package, just as often as the D800E would as used by the vast majority of people who will use it. For the remainder, there will be workarounds for many scenarios, but only bad news for a tiny minority of adopters whose usage means the inconvenience and risk is all too present. I feel for them, I do, but this does not mean the camera is 'fatally flawed' (only for them).

Personally, my approach is going to be:

Test all my lenses (which one would do with any new camera)
Throw shutter speed variations into the mix
Assess which lenses work flawlessly
Determine the workarounds where problems are encountered
Decide whether on balance its still a camera worth owning
Go take professional quality photos with it.
Petition Sony to fix or improve the problem

Inconveniences, limitations and workarounds have been with us since the dawn of photography. I'm struggling to think of any camera that has not had them. Annoying, yes, but but for most of the the photographers the A7R was designed for are still likely to have far more reasons to use the camera than to get rid of it.

I'm not in denial at all, but hope perspective can be retained here. Just because we all know how to make the A7R take bad photos all the time does not make it a bad camera all the time!

jonoslack

I'm not in denial at all, but hope perspective can be retained here. Just because we all know how to make the A7R take bad photos all the time does not make it a bad camera all the time!
:clap:

I quite agree nicely put - personally, my main use would have been using it with Leica M & R lenses (including mid range telephotos), so personally it didn't seem such a grand idea (I already have other, and easier solutions to these lenses).

. . . . . . but clearly there are many applications where it is a grand idea, and if the native lenses prove to be good and small, then there's a reason for me to use it too. :watch:

Amin

Test all my lenses (which one would do with any new camera)
Throw shutter speed variations into the mix
Assess which lenses work flawlessly
Determine the workarounds where problems are encountered
Decide whether on balance its still a camera worth owning
Go take professional quality photos with it.
Petition Sony to fix or improve the problem
Very sensible approach. Mine is as follows:
Don't test anything unless a problem announces itself
If a problem announces itself, try to find a workaround
If the camera is good on balance, keep it
Don't petition anyone until someone else makes a perfect camera

V

Vivek

Very sensible approach. Mine is as follows:
Don't test anything unless a problem announces itself
If a problem announces itself, try to find a workaround
If the camera is good on balance, keep it
Don't petition anyone until someone else makes a perfect camera
+1

I will add these:

Do not succumb to suggestions.
Do not subscribe to pro testers.
Unsubscribe from any pro tester's blither.

V

Vivek

I tried to combat shutter shock and/or vibrations with this setup.
K-H, That ball head looks like it is good enough only for a Coolpix or a RX1. I would get something 4X that size (and a tripod that can handle that) for this set up.

Check out Sachtler or Vinten.

k-hawinkler

K-H, That ball head looks like it is good enough only for a Coolpix or a RX1. I would get something 4X that size (and a tripod that can handle that) for this set up.

Check out Sachtler or Vinten.

Thanks Vivek, I agree.
I have never used that tripod in the photo to take a picture with that setup.
That tripod was only holding the camera/lens so that I could take a picture of it.
The camera I took the photo with was sitting on a very sturdy Gitzo/RRS tripod/ball head.
The sturdy tripod was the one I used when taking shots of the kitchen scale.
The Gitzo Traveler you see in the photo is great though to shoot small cameras from.

But now you got my curiosity raised. :D
I think I will actually try the light tripod and see for myself how it does.
It might actually do well, as the heavy lens provides inertia and is supported right below its center of gravity.
As they say "Grau ist alle Theorie." Quote from von Goethe's Faust. ;)

ashwinrao1

One more suggestion...Get the A7...just kidding....Despite the flaws, I remain tempted by the A7R, due to the resolution capacity, but given that my primary system (MM, M9) is already in place, I am not sure I need a full Sony solution.

Having gotten both the 35 FE and 55 FE, I feel that there's substantial promise in the "real world" applicability of FE system. ..... Down the road, Sony will certainly release other bodies, hopefully with quieter (leaf, please) shutters. For the moment, though, adding adding a lot of bulk to a small camera to tone down vibration effects, obviates the camera in my estimation. Having a quiet shutter version of this camera, though, could really reduce bulk, as isn't that the point of this camera? My Pentax 645D, which has a nasty sounding clunky shutter, is well dampened, nonetheless, and provides tack sharp images with cheap, AF, fantastic lenses (at the cost of huge size, of course).

Ron Pfister

My $0.02: I am hoping the next hardware iteration will have a well-implemented, fully electronic shutter. Video cameras do (at up to 60fps in 4k resolution these days), so this should be do-able, particularly for Sony. This would solve a lot of problems, and would open new possibilities, at the same time.

ashwinrao1

I agree, Ron. Such solution should have been implemented with the R version, IMHO. I suspect that they will release a "pro" version with better weather sealing and a leaf shutter. I suspect that we won't have any IBIS in the short term, as they seem to plan to release lenses with Opitcal stabilization (such as the CZ 24-70 OSS), and companies rarely offer dual solutions with IBIS....the question is can one play the waiting game?

Ron Pfister

...the question is can one play the waiting game?
With my two FF 36MP bodies (A7R and D800E) and an APS-C 24MP body (NEX-7), I'm happy to sit tight and wait for the next truly significant development. A camera with non-bayer sensor technology and fully electronic shutter would definitely get my attention...

fotografz

With my two FF 36MP bodies (A7R and D800E) and an APS-C 24MP body (NEX-7), I'm happy to sit tight and wait for the next truly significant development. A camera with non-bayer sensor technology and fully electronic shutter would definitely get my attention...
Me too Ron.

I have 24 meg, with fast AF using zero adapters, dual card security and an incredibly articulated LCD in the A99. The A7R brings more resolution for some applications, and is very useable for MF with some key M lenses, or studio stuff.

So I can sit tight for "next tech." :watch:

... which won't be long in coming I'll bet.

- Marc