The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

So, are you bothered?

jagsiva

Beware that impression: it regularly underexposes by between 1/2 and 1 2/3rds stops, it just has very paranoid blinkies. The sensor has, probably for processing pipeline issues, noisier shadows than a D800 so it is vital to expose more to the right than you'd think… as long as you are shooting RAW, that is...
+1

I'm finding that in A mode, I am almost always at 1/2 stop compensation for things to look right. Nice that there is a physical dial for this :)

....OK 1/3-2/3 comp to be more specific as the dial is marked so :)

Last edited:

wfrank

+1

I'm finding that in A mode, I am almost always at 1/2 stop compensation for things to look right. Nice that there is a physical dial for this :)
Sad that the dial is in thirds then. A true deal breaker! :)

But seriously, for the alt lenses I've tried so far metering works very well. Though indoor WB remains as bad as with any other cameras.

Ben Rubinstein

A7r owner. Few things bothering me, not mentioned here. Shutter lag is horrendous. Tried messing about with it at my sisters wedding, I could not use this camera for anything with moving objects in it, the picture I'm taking and picture I thought I was taking are half a second apart! (Manual lens no AF). I've shot weddings and portraiture for 10 years, unless I can work out a solution this camera is no use for those things IMO.

Shutter button placement is moronic in the extreme, really uncomfortable to use. Should be where the front dial is.

There is no safety shift when using auto iso. I have auto iso set and in shutter priority or manual, if the light levels are too low the picture is shot dark rather than sacrificing shutter or whatever to get exposure. My canon's have this feature going back to the 5Dc and it's a life saver.

Zooming in always goes to 100% and is very laggy when panning including freezing often. I would love to be able to map the zoom button during image review to another button, the C2 button is not that accessible when holding the camera to review. I can map zoom when shooting so why can't I map zoom when reviewing?

Reviewing does not ever show the filename which is annoying when wanting to remember a certain image for later.

Huge amounts of praise for the camera too....

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Reviewing does not ever show the filename which is annoying when wanting to remember a certain image for later.
Yes, it is there. Top row, left of the center.

Shutter lag is not as bad as you say. It depends on your set up, I think.

Zoom button, yes that is the way it is, as of now.

It is easier for a Sony user and for the others it will take a while to get the hang of everything.

V

Vivek

Beware that impression: it regularly underexposes by between 1/2 and 1 2/3rds stops, it just has very paranoid blinkies. The sensor has, probably for processing pipeline issues, noisier shadows than a D800 so it is vital to expose more to the right than you'd think… as long as you are shooting RAW, that is...
That holds good for non system lenses as well. Well thought out post! :)

jonoslack

A7r owner. Few things bothering me, not mentioned here. Shutter lag is horrendous. Tried messing about with it at my sisters wedding, I could not use this camera for anything with moving objects in it, the picture I'm taking and picture I thought I was taking are half a second apart! (Manual lens no AF). I've shot weddings and portraiture for 10 years, unless I can work out a solution this camera is no use for those things IMO.
Shutter lag is not as bad as you say. It depends on your set up, I think.
HI Ben, Vivek, one of my criticisms too. . . . . but perhaps we both missed something?
Vivek - how could it be less than with using Manual focus lenses? Which setup options will change this?

My impression was that it was to do with the lack of the electronic first curtain - i.e. that it was the period when the shutter clangs shut and then opens again. Of course I may be wrong - if there is a way of improving this Vivek then I'm sure we'd all be pleased to hear.

all the best

V

Vivek

Hi Jono, First off, I thought Matt snapped a younger brother of yours! You need to change the current avatar! :lecture: :)

My setting is simple: No image auto review. Eye focus off. Airplane mode on.

Shutter lag is the same (or a tad less) than the NEX'. It is possible to train one to adjust to it. However, if I want to switch to the MM, I am in trouble. There is a bit a adjustment time for that. When I first got the MM, I was missing quite a few bicyclist shots (I don't ever use continuous shoot mode so it is one shot or nothing) because the shutter went off too early!

Ben Rubinstein

HI Ben, Vivek, one of my criticisms too. . . . . but perhaps we both missed something?
Vivek - how could it be less than with using Manual focus lenses? Which setup options will change this?

My impression was that it was to do with the lack of the electronic first curtain - i.e. that it was the period when the shutter clangs shut and then opens again. Of course I may be wrong - if there is a way of improving this Vivek then I'm sure we'd all be pleased to hear.

all the best

Me too! I improved it greatly by switching off machine gun mode and switching off image review (why either should effect it I don't know) however I stand by my statement. At present it is too slow to be used for anything non static if you are looking to be able to capture a moment or freeze an expression. I've never used a DSLR which was as laggy as this camera, not even the cheap and nasty ones.

Ben Rubinstein

I also noticed the blinkies were way over sensitive, when you dial in according the the histogram in the EVF, you shoot and suddenly you're blown everywhere. The RAW is actually far closer to the histo shot with than the panicking blinkies of the review.

V

Vivek

Sorry Vivek, what do you mean by 'eye focus'?

I think it's the shutter closing and only then opening more than anything else...
Ben That may be the case but the NEX' also have similar shutter lag, AFAIK.

I meant the "eye start" - does not apply to manual focus. I also have the silly smile shutter, DRO and such off.

As I said, you have to adjust your shooting according to the way the camera's shutter lags or this isn't the camera for you.

Ben Rubinstein

We'll see, shouldn't be too difficult to swap for an A7. Shame as I'm probably the only person on the planet who likes the shutter sounds of the A7r :D .

V

Vivek

One has to have sophisticated measuring instruments to do that. The lag is NOT 1/2s as Ben says. Not for me. I was shooting with a NEX-C3 earlier today under very low light and the frame "cracking up" (liveview) and lag is all there. Same thing happens with a Panasonic GH-2, NEX-6,7 (e-curtain on), etc. Someone coming from a DSLR and OVF just has get used to the EVF. No big deal if the positives outweigh the few drawbacks.

ohnri

Me too! I improved it greatly by switching off machine gun mode and switching off image review (why either should effect it I don't know) however I stand by my statement. At present it is too slow to be used for anything non static if you are looking to be able to capture a moment or freeze an expression. I've never used a DSLR which was as laggy as this camera, not even the cheap and nasty ones.
I am having zero issues with this with my A7, Metabones adapter and Noct.

No problems whatsoever for moving subjects, freezing expressions or anything requiring a responsive camera. I would be completely comfortable shooting any sports with the A7 that I used my M9 for.

With the caveat of very limited use, the kit lens seems to be similarly quick.

I have the EFC engaged.

-Bill

Ron Pfister

I agree that there is a systemic difference between OVF and EVF with that respect (there's a reason sports shooters use DSLRs), but I'm curious if there's a noticeable difference in terms of shutter lag between electronic first curtain and mechanical first curtain...

Ron Pfister

I am having zero issues with this with my A7, Metabones adapter and Noct.

No problems whatsoever for moving subjects, freezing expressions or anything requiring a responsive camera. I would be completely comfortable shooting any sports with the A7 that I used my M9 for.

With the caveat of very limited use, the kit lens seems to be similarly quick.

I have the EFC engaged.
Thanks, Bill! Could you perhaps disable the EFC and compare? I'd be curious to know if there's a difference...

ohnri

Thanks, Bill! Could you perhaps disable the EFC and compare? I'd be curious to know if there's a difference...
Turning off the EFC appears to add just over 0.1 seconds of shutter lag.

It feels like enough to change the character of the shutter response from immediate to sit and wait.

-Bill