The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

So, are you bothered?

Ben Rubinstein

Just checked, there is a warning at the top of the screen but didn't notice it, heck even looking for it now took me a few seconds to notice it. When you're shooting it's very easy not to notice. Should be a big bright red flashing light in the middle of the screen saying 'STOP SHOOTING IDIOT THERE'S NO CARD IN AND YOUR MODEL WILL LAUGH AT YOU'! :D

Ben Rubinstein

Coming back to the shutter lag question, here are Imaging Resources findings of shutter lag with comparison to other cameras. Manual pre-focus and shutter half pressed.

A7R: 163 ms
6d: 59 ms
5d3: 61 ms
D800: 43 ms
1Dx: 38 ms

Glad I wasn't just dreaming it. That's a big big lag. My 5Dc's weren't that great though I learnt to work around it but they were half that lag at around 80ms.

Ben Rubinstein

Very accurately so actually. I'm wondering about ways to reduce the problem. Including perhaps a raised shutter release similar to the soft releases for leica, anything which can help reduce the human element of 'lag' will help? I had already thought about making sure the shutter was half pressed before taking the photo to reduce human lag but it's not so comfortable with the circular metal border round the shutter release.

Auni

Received A7R Dec. 2nd.

Orange peel effect: NOT NOTICED
Jaggies: NOT NOTICED
Shutter sound: NOTICED, NO BIG DEAL
Shutter vibrations: BIG DEAL WITH LONG R-LENSES
Colour shading: YES. WITH MOST LEICA LENSES I OWN
Smearing: NOTED TO SOME DEGREE WITH ALL LEICA M LENSES EXCEPT 90 MACRO ELMAR

This was not the camera for me. It has a lot of things going for it especially if, you have a couple non-native lenses that work well. Also, this camera is looking like the native lenses, when or as they are released, are going to be good. For me, I am going to be happy with my M lenses on the M240 for now. I was hoping for a camera that could be used with the M lenses that I own. Most importantly for me, I wanted a 36MP R-lens body. But, the shutter problems I had nixed this.

I'll sit it out and watch all of this unfold from the sidelines for now... as you know, I returned the camera after 2 weeks. Good luck to everyone and I'll go back to just reading about the camera.

Merry Christmas.

philber

Sure there are many things I'd like changed on my A7R. But I don't buy stuff for what it doesn't do wrong, and my own copyrighted interpretation of "wrong", that is, I'd rather focus on wat it does right. No disrespect to bloggers who make their living by insisting on that fact that non-readers of their paid publication are irretrievably compromised, but there are so many things A7R does right that, for someone wanting top IQ in a go-everywhere take-with-you-every-time package, it is the present King of the Hill.
Loud shutter is disappointing, especially after of wonderfully luscious one of RX-1.
Vibration: I don't shoot stuff longer than 90mm. I tried replicating the problem with a C/Y 180 and couldn't. Not losing sleep.
Orange peel and jaggies: that is part and parcel of the IQ. It can't be taken apart and reconstructed piece by piece. Either you buy and shoot the camera with its good, bad and ugly aspects, or you don't. And which camera is flawless to that level? So this approach of dissection under a microscope leaves customers frustrated rather than happy shooters.
Which they ought to be IMHO, because this camera sets new standards for a price that is not even that expensive, relatively speaking!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
:loco:
Sure there are many things I'd like changed on my A7R. But I don't buy stuff for what it doesn't do wrong, and my own copyrighted interpretation of "wrong", that is, I'd rather focus on wat it does right. No disrespect to bloggers who make their living by insisting on that fact that non-readers of their paid publication are irretrievably compromised, but there are so many things A7R does right that, for someone wanting top IQ in a go-everywhere take-with-you-every-time package, it is the present King of the Hill.
Loud shutter is disappointing, especially after of wonderfully luscious one of RX-1.
Vibration: I don't shoot stuff longer than 90mm. I tried replicating the problem with a C/Y 180 and couldn't. Not losing sleep.
Orange peel and jaggies: that is part and parcel of the IQ. It can't be taken apart and reconstructed piece by piece. Either you buy and shoot the camera with its good, bad and ugly aspects, or you don't. And which camera is flawless to that level? So this approach of dissection under a microscope leaves customers frustrated rather than happy shooters.
Which they ought to be IMHO, because this camera sets new standards for a price that is not even that expensive, relatively speaking!
For me the extra savings I went from a d800 and 5200 Nikon . That turned into a d800e equivalent and I gained a Nikon 610 same sensors with the A7 and R version. So that was a jump up. I also was able to get 2 extra lenses out of it. I know folks think I'm nuts but fact is I calculate this pretty well going in on what's my gain. If there was none I would have passed. Are there some quirks sure there are but I expect firmware to fix most of them just like any other system. Do I expect Pro service , no I don't but I know where I can get some and I know I can walk into a Best Buy, Target etc and buy a body on the spot if the crap hits the fan. But now I feel far more comfortable having 2 Pro capable bodies. The A7 and A7r together are going to be a great pair Plus I gained more gear. For a gear head slut that's pretty powerful.

teeraash

Disappointing I think. No A7R in my future.

Responsiveness is vital for much of my photography.

-Bill
HI Bill,
Could you please tell me specifically what type of photography you do that the A7R won't make a cut. I'm debating myself to get the 7 and sell my 7r. I plan to test the 7 myself this weekend.
Thanks,
Teera