The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7R - time to buy some glass!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm going to use my Nikon mounts for now. Especially my Leica 19r and my Sigma 35 1.4 and Zeiss 135mm all Nikon mounts. Either going to get the nova flex adapter or metabones. Now I read some discrepancy on that on another thread. Oh and I think I bought a ar7 waiting word from a member. Sooner than I wanted to go for it but its worth a try.

ashwinrao1

I think M glass is useable depending on how critical on desires their IQ or how much one shoots landscape type scenes. I'm more of a people photog and didn't "see" many issues wih M glass until I really started tearing images apart. I ended up with the A7 as it plays much better with m lenses, is cheaper, and quieter/less shutter vibration, with 24 more forgiving megapixels. However, I do miss the resolution of the R, but I am thrilled at home useable my M lenses are with this set.

On thing out the Noct f/0.95 on the R- watch for CA....it's nasty on that sensor

retow

I`m with those putting a question-mark behind m-lenses on the A7r. It`s too much of a trial and error and distracting from taking pictures. I rediscovered MF Nikkors and think they are great on the A7r.
A Noct-Nikkor 58 1.2 will arrive next week. A 105 f2.5 and 85 f2 are already in use. For comparison, the Nikkor 85 f2 is a bargain compared to a Leica 90mm.

Here are my results with the CV 12:

On the M240:

On the A7r:

To me the M240 images are usable straight from camera, the A7r usable but only with LCC.

This was with a white diffuser in front of the lens (wasn't large enough to block all the reflections, hence some on the edges).

I'm going to use my Nikon mounts for now. Especially my Leica 19r and my Sigma 35 1.4 and Zeiss 135mm all Nikon mounts. Either going to get the nova flex adapter or metabones. Now I read some discrepancy on that on another thread. Oh and I think I bought a ar7 waiting word from a member. Sooner than I wanted to go for it but its worth a try.
I got the Novoflex adaptor and the ring with foot. I've only tested it with the 135 APO and 70-200 f/4 VR so far and it seems to work well. Haven't had a chance to test for vibration issues yet.

k-hawinkler

Thanks I'm leaning towards the Novaflex. Now to find more money. Lol
Great choice, both adapter and ASTAT-NEX.
BTW the collar fits the R to E, M to E, and F to E Novoflex adapters.

You may want to take the collar apart and put together so that the tightening screw is on the other side. That way your fingers can get at the camera grip.

Your lenses should be fine on the A7R.

Last edited:

Knorp

You may want to take the collar apart and put together so that the tightening screw is on the other side. That way your fingers can get at the camera grip.

That's a great tip for every user of this particular collar, K-H.
One of first things I did too with mine !

Kind regards.

k-hawinkler

That's a great tip for every user of this particular collar, K-H.
One of first things I did too with mine !

Kind regards.

Thanks Bart.
I did the same as soon as somebody on this forum pointed the way.
Coming from a pure Leica forum what impresses me is the openmindedness displayed on this forum in general.
And one can post images taken with all sorts of gear. ;)

:worthless:

Guy Mancuso

Thanks very much. Need to put this in the BS board but I am looking to buy the Novaflex if anyone has one for sale. I think I will just get a small RRS plate for now as well. Than I'll do some testing for everyone

GrahamB

I purchased my first M mount lens today. Largely as a result of Vivek's images, I have a Rokkor 40/2 and Metabones M > E adapter winging their way to me.

Graham

V

Vivek

Awesome, Graham! I was not very clever though. :eek: I would like to have another copy of this. :)

Guy Mancuso

Here are my results with the CV 12:

On the M240:

On the A7r:

To me the M240 images are usable straight from camera, the A7r usable but only with LCC.

This was with a white diffuser in front of the lens (wasn't large enough to block all the reflections, hence some on the edges).

Tip from a tech cam user. Buff down your LCC material. It really helps taking the reflections out. Steel wool and even sandpaper.

Taylor Sherman

The R35/2 is definitely a nice fit for the camera. About the same size and maybe? a bit lighter than the CV35/1.2 when the adapters are included.

I haven't spent any quality time with the 35/1.2 on my A7 yet, but I'm looking forward to it. I've seen some great pictures with that combo.

The ZM50/2 appears to be great in my use so far.

jagsiva

Seeing all this and reading some of the stuff on Diglloyd, maybe the best option is native glass. I cannot help but thing that every manufacturer now cooks RAW files in-camera before we even get our hands on them to fine-tune for specific shortcomings in the hardware and of course the limits of optics and physics. May also explain why we never settled on a RAW/DNG standard.

Guy Mancuso

I played with the 28-70 in the store the other day and it was nice. Not sure it works on the R version though but I am tempted for sure to get the 35FE. Would like to have at least one with AF ability and it looks good as far as IQ. Problem is the 24-70 makes more sense but we have to wait and waiting for me is like pulling wisdom teeth out. LOL

Guy Mancuso

My stuff comes this week so hope to get out and play. Need to figure out if I'm all in or not before I get crazy with glass.