The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7R - time to buy some glass!

Daure

Is this vignetting 'really' such a big deal? With a 6X polariser on my Nocti on M9/MM I get the same vignetting - most of it to do with the fact that shooting wide open in daylight makes it compulsory to use a ND filter ...

takes me all of 2 seconds to correct for this in LR or Aperture...am I missing something here??

Cheers
Pete
Could be a big deal if you take the picture at 800 iso.
To recover the two stops of vignetting, this implies you accept to go to 3200 iso for the borders and corners

PeterA

Could be a big deal if you take the picture at 800 iso.
To recover the two stops of vignetting, this implies you accept to go to 3200 iso for the borders and corners
Please help me here...Why would I be using 800 ISO and a 6X ND filter???

Daure

Please help me here...Why would I be using 800 ISO and a 6X ND filter???
I was just answering to the very first part of your post :
"Is the vignetting really such a big deal"
Apart of that, i have never had sort of vignetting with ND or Pola filters.

V

Vivek

Apart of that, i have never had sort of vignetting with ND or Pola filters.
You should try some of those filters and some lenses to understand that. Don't go be any hearsay. Nowadays, a lot of it is down right ridiculous. ;)

jagsiva

"Guy, I'm sure you'll have the camera in your hands for a while and be quite sure before you make such a jump."

Anyone want to start a poll? How many weeks, days, hours, etc.
Whoa! I almost took the bait.....just looked at the B&S and realized I saved some money:toocool:

ashwinrao1

Yeah, no 6 stop ND filter. The is not only vignetting, but also color shifts within the vignette...the fix in LR is not so simple...trust me, I have tried, and the easiest reliable way is Adobe's flat field plug in.....there are some ways to use LR's GND filter and adjust temperature and saturation, but after a while, I tire of that sort of editing....

Annna T

One lens that seems perfect for the A7 and perhaps also the A7r, is the little Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 zoom. It has a very fast constant max aperture of 2.8 and on my Canon FF it performs as well if not better than the L 24-105mm F4.

Its big advantage is that it is the smallest F2.8 zoom ever made for FF (at least to my knowledge). It has the same dimension as the native Sony 28-70mm offered in kit with the A7, although that last one is much slower :

Length 92mm against 95mm for the Sony. Diameter 73mm and filter size 67mm, both like the Sony. It weight 510gr. against 425gr for the Sony, but has a shorter near focus distance (33cm against 40cm), a slightly max focal length (75 instead of 70) and is two stops faster at the long end.

It has a non rotating filter mount, like the Sony, but you can't retouch focus when in AF mode.

Any one tried that on its A7 ? I have this lens in Canon mount and if I eventually get an A7, that would be a nice lens to use with it if it performs well.

Here is what Photozone says about it

Edit : After rereading their review, I think that they are a little too harsh on the optical IQ. I bought that lens after reading a very good review of it in Chasseur d'Image and it performs well in the corners too when stopped at F4. Going with what they write at the end, they had a slightly decentered copy and that may account for Photozone rather harsh evaluation of the optical IQ.

Last edited:

wuffstuff

What would be nice for us newbie Sony A7r users is a simple spreadsheet that tells us which lenses are OK for use on the A7/A7r cameras. Maybe collate the information on the legacy glass that's out there and let us know what to avoid, what's middling, what's excellent.

A sticky post here would be marvellous.:)

I don't know, what do you think?

V

Vivek

What would be nice for us newbie Sony A7r users is a simple spreadsheet that tells us which lenses are OK for use on the A7/A7r cameras. Maybe collate the information on the legacy glass that's out there and let us know what to avoid, what's middling, what's excellent.

It is a great idea in principle but will not work.

Look at this thread where Ashwin is saying that the 50/1.4 Asph plus A7R is horrible. What is your experience? :) Raymond Chuck has posted fantastic shots at infinity with a 50/1.4 pre-asph plus the A7R. There is quite a bit prejudiced evaluations at the moment, which in my opinion will become irrelevant in the coming days and weeks. After that, perhaps a collation would be significant. :)

Also, one big factor is sample variation with Leica lenses. They are there and there are less than optimal samples traded around. :)

k-hawinkler

Thanks Vivek. It still would be useful to have such a table but with critical objective comments.

For example I just tried out my Rigid Summicron from 1956 or 1957 on the A7R. I would avoid shooting at f/2 as it shows quite a bit of vignetting for that aperture. All others seem fine and I didn't see any corner smearing.

V

Vivek

Thanks Vivek. It still would be useful to have such a table but with critical objective comments.

For example I just tried out my Rigid Summicron from 1956 or 1957 on the A7R. I would avoid shooting at f/2 as it shows quite a bit of vignetting for that aperture. All others seem fine and I didn't see any corner smearing.
K-H, When it comes to leica lenses, it seems like a sticky issue. When a Canon FD 24mm lens bought for less than a price of a Leica lens cap and images shown (brilliant ones, I might add), there is no issue. So, I am for non Leica lenses as I see there will be less controversy. Hope, I make myself clear. ;)

wuffstuff

It is a great idea in principle but will not work.

Look at this thread where Ashwin is saying that the 50/1.4 Asph plus A7R is horrible. What is your experience? :) Raymond Chuck has posted fantastic shots at infinity with a 50/1.4 pre-asph plus the A7R. There is quite a bit prejudiced evaluations at the moment, which in my opinion will become irrelevant in the coming days and weeks. After that, perhaps a collation would be significant. :)

Also, one big factor is sample variation with Leica lenses. They are there and there are less than optimal samples traded around. :)
I can't argue as I don't have enough information, so I'll bow to your wiser judgement.

The 50 Lux ASPH looks great on my A7r:D

neelin

That's a great idea, can we have a volunteer step forward...shuffle, shuffle, shuffle....2000 people stepping backwards.... Lee! ;)

PeterA

Yeah, no 6 stop ND filter. The is not only vignetting, but also color shifts within the vignette...the fix in LR is not so simple...trust me, I have tried, and the easiest reliable way is Adobe's flat field plug in.....there are some ways to use LR's GND filter and adjust temperature and saturation, but after a while, I tire of that sort of editing....
The little big Sony's 'faults' with certain M lenses shot wide open for me are tiny compared to its strengths. I think as a body only camera - it is the best value ever delivered by any maker ( so far)

All the best
Pete

Ron Pfister

Lee, there is a thread on this already, and the information is nice and concise so far.

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/49554-brief-reports-lenses-a7r.html

Would be great to see more observations posted there, IMO.