The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How good/bad is the kit lens?

Rawfa

With all the adapter and legacy lenses I'm curious about how good or bad is the kit lens zoom...specially AF speed. I need at least ONE AF lens and even though I dug what I saw from the 35mm 2.8 and the 55mm 1.8 I found them way too expensive...plus I've been getting by with my pentax glass with these fovs.

Rawfa

Never mind. I just bought it anyway. I've read some nice review and saw some nice pictures taken with this lens. It should keep me busy until the prices drop on the 35mm and 55mm...or until some other company comes out with some new af glass.

ohnri

With all the adapter and legacy lenses I'm curious about how good or bad is the kit lens zoom...specially AF speed. I need at least ONE AF lens and even though I dug what I saw from the 35mm 2.8 and the 55mm 1.8 I found them way too expensive...plus I've been getting by with my pentax glass with these fovs.
The AF for the kit lens on the A7 is okay in bright light. Still not close to a good DSLR with fast glass though.

In any other light, either indoors or heavy overcast or deep shade or near dusk, you can expect some problems.

It will be unreliable on moving subjects and may hunt for static ones. Zoomed out to 70mm is worse than at 28mm due to the smaller aperture and decreased DOF.

I'll be interested in seeing how AF of the A7 performs with some faster glass.

I've been pleasantly surprised with the IQ though and have taken some nice portraits of friends.

-Bill