The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Most "Conflicted" Camera Ever?

Takes one to know one dude. So tell me how fast is the AF on the 70-200 A with adapter. Be really careful how you answer this as it may just cause a lot of head injuries to my freaking head. LOL
Guy,

I don't have the 70-200 but I do have the 200mm APO with LAEA-4 and it is just as fast as on my A900, maybe quicker. Killer lens too.

Chad

fotografz

A few other shots (and crops) that helped me make the leap.

Took the A7R with ZA24/2 to the Market and did some snaps mostly at higher ISOs ... a few action people shots to check against lag or slow AF ... it suffered neither.

Tree ornament shots done with the Nocti ... notably one at 1/25th shutter.

Not sure it'll come across in web sized shots, but I'm seeing M9 like color response but with greater DR and much better ISO performance.

Lots to learn yet, more improvements to be had ... but enough promise to keep it.

- Marc

GrahamB

Marc,

I agree with your conclusions, especially your high ISO observation regarding a900 users (I use an a850).

As far as your posts to this thread, you do have a little drama in you don't you? ;-)

Graham

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Guy,

I don't have the 70-200 but I do have the 200mm APO with LAEA-4 and it is just as fast as on my A900, maybe quicker. Killer lens too.

Chad
Thank you . I had that lens at one time it was lightning quick.

Everything comes tomorrow. I'll get out and play.

I do have a question on the adapter. Do I need the LAEa-4. This one confused me.

I'm renting the Nikon 70- 200 but I can change that order from lensrentals. I need advice on what to get. There are 2 zooms, maybe the 200. I'm at the long end for 15k shots doing runway . The high ISO is needed at 1600 or more.

Marc seriously your comments and conclusion was not a surprise at all and truthfully what I expected. I like my Nikon but there is no love. Tough decisions for me and I'm really tempted to fire sale it all. Keep my Leica r19 and Zeiss 135 than rebuild. Also add the 7 and dump the Nikon 5200 too. My head is spinning let me get some shots in and see what I come up with. Thanks Guys

mjm6

ROTFLMAO. This thing is too small to be real. I actually may need the grip just to feel like a big boy. Lol
As I have been testing out the new camera here, the M lenses all feel fine without the grip. With the R lenses I have, including the R 19mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, the camera starts to feel like it is a bit too small to attain real comfort without the grip (which I don't have at the moment).

It may be an issue of getting used to it (I haven't had a camera this small since the Canon A-1 20+ years ago; even my F-1's at that time had the motor drives attached all the time).

But, I sure do feel like I'm going to like this camera! If I can feel happy with my M lenses on it, I'll be seriously cooking with gas.

I especially appreciate Marc's comments on the camera, as his comments confirmed some aspects of the a900 back when it was first introduced that I had felt, in particular the color rendering, so I am very interested in what he finds in time.

---Michael

Ron Pfister

I agree that giving it some time is the way to go, Michael. I'm using many of the same lenses you are, and think the A7R is just fine without a grip. I firmly believe the size-advantage outweighs anything else. E.g. with the grip, I would likely have to use a larger bag than I use now (TT Retro 5), and that's not going to happen - for general use, at least.

fotografz

Marc,

I agree with your conclusions, especially your high ISO observation regarding a900 users (I use an a850).

As far as your posts to this thread, you do have a little drama in you don't you? ;-)

Graham
He, he, he,

All my drama has been a deliberately facetious reaction to some of the hyped-up, adrenaline stoking, polarizing threads and posts this thing has generated.

It is just a freaking camera for crikey sake! :ROTFL:

But it's what we do I guess ... part of the addiction :banghead:

Have a Happy Holiday or a Merry Christmas everyone. It is looking like a very good new year.

Back to wrapping gifts.

- Marc

Ben Rubinstein

Just a camera to you Marc but it's the smallest freaking thing I've ever had in my carry everywhere bag, you're used to Leica's but I've only ever had DSLR's in this thing and it's so incredibly light that half the time I wonder if I forgot to put it in!

V

Vivek

Marc,

Graham
The drama would have been even more had he downloaded the new app and checked out some of his wider M lenses. May be we will see that in a few months. :D

So, what happened to your M10 tests, Marc? Are you keeping that or sending it back? :)

fotografz

Just a camera to you Marc but it's the smallest freaking thing I've ever had in my carry everywhere bag, you're used to Leica's but I've only ever had DSLR's in this thing and it's so incredibly light that half the time I wonder if I forgot to put it in!
I'm not "belittling" it Ben, it's size IS the reason it is so darned appealing ... it's the camera with a Napoleon complex ... "I may be small, but I'll kick your Camera's a$$ into the next century!" ... :ROTFL:

BTW, I'll PM you on the lag and AF discussion.

- Marc

fotografz

The drama would have been even more had he downloaded the new app and checked out some of his wider M lenses. May be we will see that in a few months. :D

So, what happened to your M10 tests, Marc? Are you keeping that or sending it back? :)
Now you're just being incendiary Vivek :watch:

I couldn't send the M240 (M10) back fast enough ... but I think you knew that :rolleyes:

The MM keeps my love affair with rangefinders alive and well.

All the best to Leica ... I'm loving the S2 even more than when I got it, and the MM is what a M should be IMO. I'll leave it at that.

- Marc

iiiNelson

Has anyone tested the 70-200/2.8 with the LA-E4? Just curious before I sell it for the 70-200/4 E-mount.

GrahamB

Has anyone tested the 70-200/2.8 with the LA-E4? Just curious before I sell it for the 70-200/4 E-mount.
Mine works well with the LA-EA3, although AF is very slow. I may pick up an LA-EA4 at some time, but I still have full size alpha mount bodies I can count on for AF, and I wanted to avoid the mass and mirror of the LA-EA4 with my a7r.

Gustav at Dyxum posted some pre-release images using the a7r and various lenses (scroll down to the prairie dog (?) images. He reports AF on par with the a99).
third result A7R (18 pics) - Dyxum - Page 1

Graham

Edit: Here's some more of Gustav's work with the 70-200/2.8 with the a7R/LA-EA3. No autofocus, but they are beautiful images. http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/some-fox-pictures-a7r_topic102570.html?KW=

Last edited:

MikalWGrass

That's fine and the pics are lovely but I want to know how the 70-200/2.8 G will focus when the fox is running after its food.

Ron Pfister

That's fine and the pics are lovely but I want to know how the 70-200/2.8 G will focus when the fox is running after its food.
If you focus manually, it will be just fine: ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist! :) This image was taken hand-held (no kidding) and is manually focussed. Probably my luckiest shot ever. While exploring Awash National Park, I saw this jackal approaching quickly in the distance on the other side of the vehicle. I knew my only chance of a decent image was to get out of the car and shoot hand-held because all tripods were stowed in the trunk, and there would be no time to set one up before the moment would pass. I was amazed to find the face of the jackal tack sharp when reviewing the images of that day. The jackal must have just eaten a chicken before (complete with one of those amazing stabilizers)... :D

GrahamB

I don't think that combination would make a good sports kit. Here's the quote from Gustav regarding the a7r+LA-EA4. The images in this thread were widely circulated on the web (the quote comes from a Gustav post on pg. 7).my first result with A7r - Dyxum - Page 1

"Gustav,
How do you find the AF with the 70-200? Is it as responsive as on your A99?

hi stinndler , yes i try today the A7R with the adapter LA-EA4 with the sony 70-200 , it was pretty fast , not so fast as with the A99 , but it was really not bad"

Graham

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Please do Graham I need to know fairly quickly as i may change my rental thats coming to me the 30th. I rented the Nikon 70-200 but I may want to use my sony for this job coming up. I just need to know if follow focus is good.

MikalWGrass

Graham, thank you. Did he test the A7 with the Sony A mount 70-200/2.8 G or just the 7R? Is the AF with long lens on the A7 as quick as with the a99?

I am not a sports photographer but a father whose kids dance hip hop, swim, and occasionally play water polo. Part of being the photographer for the Hip Hop Kidz here in South Florida is that I get press passes (even though I do not get paid), so I want something responsive and light because after a while the a900 becomes heavy.

Finally, for what it is worth, I do not own a decent tripod so shooting on a tripod is not an option for me at this point or in the near future.

Any other links that you could send will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.:salute:

Mikal

mjm6

I agree that giving it some time is the way to go, Michael. I'm using many of the same lenses you are, and think the A7R is just fine without a grip. I firmly believe the size-advantage outweighs anything else. E.g. with the grip, I would likely have to use a larger bag than I use now (TT Retro 5), and that's not going to happen - for general use, at least.
Ron,

Adding a plate to the bottom like the RRS one will probably add all the depth I need to feel it fits my hand reasonably. My pinky wants to fall off the camera on the bottom.

Bigger lenses, and I suspect I'd want the grip. I'll give it a few weeks before making any decisions, though.

---Michael