The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Most "Conflicted" Camera Ever?

fotografz

Takes one to know one dude. So tell me how fast is the AF on the 70-200 A with adapter. Be really careful how you answer this as it may just cause a lot of head injuries to my freaking head. LOL
:)

I'll give it a try tomorrow Guy.

- Marc

Oh,oh, ... revised response ... I sold my 70-200/2.8G to Mikal some time ago. Somehow I read your request as 24-70 ?? :wtf:

longest A lens I have is the ZA135/1.8. Sorry.

-Marc

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
ROTFLMAO. This thing is too small to be real. I actually may need the grip just to feel like a big boy. Lol

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
ROTFLMAO. This thing is too small to be real. I actually may need the grip just to feel like a big boy. Lol
The grip makes it a camera, without that it's nothing but a sensor holder. LOL Matter of taste of course, I quite like the classic design with the grip attached.

Congrats on your newest Guy!

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Georg this is going to be fun. I might just order the dang grip.

Does the grip have a tripod socket. I need to put a Arca plate on it

hcubell

From what I understood, slow shutter speeds and faster shutter speeds were not the issue with longer lenses ... around 1/20 to 1/50 were. That's what I tested for.

The problem of using 1/350 shutter is that it would require more light than the strobe modeling lights can deliver ... so you can't leave ISO and aperture the same, and vary the light levels for same exposure level at different shutter speeds.

Can't use strobes either because shutter speed is mostly meaningless ... flash duration is faster than the max 1/180 sync speed of this camera ... or most any other focal plane shutter for that matter.

- Marc
The tests of the effect of shutter vibration with longer lenses on the A7R that Lloyd chambers conducted compared faster shutter speeds ( 1/1F to 1/2F) with slower shutter speeds like 1/30, 1/15 and 1/8. Theses tests showed quite significant deterioration in image quality with the slower shutter speeds.

Guy Mancuso

Howard honestly I am reading a lot on this subject and just the placement of either tripod mounted to lens or tripod mounted to adapter folks are getting different results. My theory believe a portion of what you read as the variables here in this case are fairly large. I will leave this up to user, there gear and technique as there is just too much involved with regards to it. I have run into this with several systems with focal plane shutters it's actually fairly common. The Phase DF for instance 1/15,1/8 and 1/20 it's pretty obvious your seeing a mirrored ghost. Frankly this has always been the case with focal plane shutters and there are many factors that either mask it well or expose it. In this case we have the addition of adapters and there is a variance in them as well not to mention your now using 4 mount points instead of 2. I believe there is a firmware fix that could help to some degree but it still won't completely fix it. Cameras with mass on one hand seem to do well but on the same token the DF has lots of mass and the issue is obvious with the 150 and 300 mm lenses. Again I think this case is all over the map.

fotografz

Marc .. Nice analysis… A couple of minor points. Buried in the menu you can set the LCD monitor to turn off after 10sec.. This seems to help with battery life. However, the time it takes for the camera to wake from sleep is really long-- longer than it takes from the time the camera is switched on from the off position. This is something which is quite annoying (although not a show stopper). Seems like this could be improved via a firmware update.

I find the vibration issue to be lens dependent. My Nikkor 200mm AIS is heavy so when i used on an arca cube with the lens attached to the lens tripod foot --- really substantial issues at shutter speeds less than 1/100. However if i used the metabones foot to attach to the arca cube-- much less of an issue. Not an issue with the Nikkor 100mm macro. Will try the nikon 70-200/4 next.

Maybe someone has commented on this but how does the Leica M 28-35-50mm perform on the A7r.
Thanks Mark.

Yeah, I knew that from using the A99. I'll put up with it set to never to turn off while I'm in test mode.

My longest lens is the ZA135/1.8, which is a pretty big lens in-itself ... the A7R and that lens is like an Ant dragging a Grasshopper :)

- Marc

jlm

Workshop Member
i've been doing detailed measuring for an L-plate of my own and even if the plate is 1/2" thick (can be hollowed out) the arca clamp it will interfere with full movement. instead of being inclined at 45 degrees down, which is the max, it will be about 30 degrees. the linked articulation will allow the movement, but the arca base gets in the way. what this means is when looking upwards into the LCD, it won't be as horizontal as you might like. bear in mind, this is probably when you would not be on a tripod anyway

i am prototyping this week

V

Vivek

i've been doing detailed measuring for an L-plate of my own and even if the plate is 1/2" thick (can be hollowed out) the arca clamp it will interfere with full movement. instead of being inclined at 45 degrees down, which is the max, it will be about 30 degrees. the linked articulation will allow the movement, but the arca base gets in the way. what this means is when looking upwards into the LCD, it won't be as horizontal as you might like. bear in mind, this is probably when you would not be on a tripod anyway

i am prototyping this week
PM sent with a suggestion. :)

Ron Pfister

Another suggestion: I've been thinking about L-plate designs for a while. Of the ones I own, the ones where the vertical mount is really sturdy enough for hi-res sensors are quite heavy. I would welcome a vertical mount that could be secured to the strap lug on the left side of the camera (with lens facing away from you), e.g. by pushing a stainless steel pin all the way through the plate rim (assuming it is hollowed-out). The connector doors would be unaffected by this. I think this would allow for a slimmer design that is much less prone to movement at the same time.

Edit: to clarify, this would look like any L-plate we know, with the addition of the aforementioned pin, which would serve to anchor the loose end of the L.

fotografz

MY GEAR VAULT!

Here's why: Pardon my bluntness, I'm tired of all this "testy testing" business, but happy in the end.

COLOR. Best out of camera color/contrast yet. What I had hoped the Leica M240 would've been ... and wasn't. Excellent AWB, great skin tones, superb color separation ... just wonderful color depth.

GREAT DR ... yet Sony did it without the dull flat files that some claim as necessary to retain DR ... then requiring a boat load of post work to get to where this camera is right out of the camera. :thumbs:

HIGH ISO. I process a lot of stuff from different cameras (assistants/second shooter's stuff), this camera wipes the floor with most if not all of them. ISO 2500 is the new 800. Color stays true right up to ISO 5000 or even 6400. NO BANDING in sight. Almost unbelievable to those who shot with a A900.

Most Leica M lenses work for me, the 21/1.4 ASPH is excellent as is the M75/2AA and stalwart 90/2.8, my non-FLE 35/1.4 ASPH is fine and the 28/2 ASPH not as horrifyingly disgusting as I was led to believe. ... but what counts most is that there are no caveats at all using the M50/0.95 ... and that one is all I needed to make this worth it.

The A7R with the LAEA4 adapter
is okay with some lenses, but extremely fast focusing with any ZA or Sony lenses sporting SSW (Super Sonic Wave AF motor) My ZA24/2 and ZA50/1.4 are lighting quick ... and I tried a few shots on moving people and speeding cars and nailed it on the money every time ... no lag, no screwing around ... aim, shoot, done.

Still not 100% sure about shutter shock ... but the adapted A mounts do not show it.

Lastly, more fun per dollar than any camera I can recall. :)

A big welcome to the family for ... "Mighty Mouse".

- Marc

Last edited: