The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony VGCE-1 (vertical grip) returning!

V

Vivek

Defective design. Too hollow and everything manageable hand-held is blurry. It does fit my hands snugly but it isn't for me. Vertical grip fails in my hands, for portrait shots in particular, for which it is presumably designed for. The naked camera as is far better (though not perfectly comfortable for portrait shooting).

Knorp

Ow Vivek, what a load of stierepoep :shocked:
But I have to agree ergonomically it is not a strong design, call it flawed if you like.
Still, it's better than nothing IMO, but YMMV.
My E-M1 and K5 grips f.i. are much better and a joy to use.

Kind regards.

V

Vivek

Ow Vivek, what a load of stierepoep :shocked:
But I have to agree ergonomically it is not a strong design, call it flawed if you like.
Still, it's better than nothing IMO, but YMMV.
My E-M1 and K5 grips f.i. are much better and a joy to use.

Kind regards.
Actually, it is worse than nothing. In fact, having a battery inside the battery compartment of the camera instead of the hollow plastic from the grip is better. That is why I say it is defective. Also, at the bottom, the two batteries are surrounded by a lot of hollow space on one side. Instead of filling it with air, Sony could have considered some stierepoep and that would have helped. ;)

If that is BS to you, fine. It is real for me and not worth my dime.

I will say that it is beautiful outside and the main reason that I bought it was the way it looks.

Ron Pfister

Stierepoep may just be the magic substance to solve those nagging shutter vibration issues once and for all! We should try it… :D

GrahamB

I prefer the VG designs for my other Sony DLSR's over the a7 VG. That said, with larger adapted lenses (especially my 555g ZA distagon 24/2), I find the a7 VG balances the camera much better.

Graham

V

Vivek

Stierepoep may just be the magic substance to solve those nagging shutter vibration issues once and for all! We should try it… :D
"According to my sources" :)D), only the stuff from Kobe, Japan would do. :D

iiiNelson

I will caveat this with saying I have very large hands so take it for what it's worth. I have one vertical grip because I do fine it to be more comfortable when taking pics in portrait mode plus it gives more area to hold on to for even type work. That being said I like the vertical grip of the A77 much more as it's beefier - but that's the trade off for desiring smaller cameras. At some point we all have to ask how small is too small? I agree that the A7 in general is pretty comfortable without the grip. I also know I don't "need" the grip for 80% of the shots I take. It's more for stability for the longer stuff, event type work, and portraits

I know we all desire something less obtrusive but I find I have to seriously ponder ergonomics when some cameras are getting cell phone small as well.

V

Vivek

I will caveat this with saying I have very large hands so take it for what it's worth. I have one vertical grip because I do fine it to be more comfortable when taking pics in portrait mode plus it gives more area to hold on to for even type work. That being said I like the vertical grip of the A77 much more as it's beefier - but that's the trade off for desiring smaller cameras. At some point we all have to ask how small is too small? I agree that the A7 in general is pretty comfortable without the grip. I also know I don't "need" the grip for 80% of the shots I take. It's more for stability for the longer stuff, event type work, and portraits

I know we all desire something less obtrusive but I find I have to seriously ponder ergonomics when some cameras are getting cell phone small as well.
Hi Tre, It is not the obtrusiveness but precisely it is the ergonomics (not in just holding but in performance) that I am disappointed with and that is why it is going back.