The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 7.16 adds A7(r) support

tashley

Subscriber Member
I'm with the C1 UI Sucks crowd: it may be better at decoding RAW files but it is the most irritating piece of software I ever have to use with any regularity.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'm with the C1 UI Sucks crowd: it may be better at decoding RAW files but it is the most irritating piece of software I ever have to use with any regularity.
Hmm, you can't have used Nikon Capture NX/NX2 too then :ROTFL:

And in response to Guy, I still reckon NX2 does better with Nikon files than either C1 Pro or LR/ACR but it's a PIA to use, especially if you're already invested in a different converter and workflow.

k-hawinkler

Nikon Capture NX2 doesn't seem to be too bad if one uses it only for the RAW conversion and then hands over a tif file to CS6. Same for C1Pro7.

anGy

Capture 1 really outperforms LR in my opinion

100% crop from jaggies (less pronounced on C1 and better details overall):

And a detail just in front of the focus area, better details out of C1

Better transitions too.
Hope this comparison will survive the print screen/jpeg/internet thing.

Oh yes, left shot from LR, right from C1...

jlm

Workshop Member
i use C1 because i use Phase and am used to it and it works great; oblique as it may be, i have come to grips, and now i can use if for EM-1, A7R, leica and Phase. on the odd time i use LR, i feel like i can only speak baby talk. have also run Phocus, another lumpy one, or the Sigma raw processor

if you want to try a really tough UI, try Silverfast ;(

vjbelle

Just downloaded it and processed a few A7r files all the way up to 1600 iso. Very impressive - mostly with how C1 handles noise which has always been one of its hallmarks. So..... I'm a happy camper - so far.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just downloaded it and processed a few A7r files all the way up to 1600 iso. Very impressive - mostly with how C1 handles noise which has always been one of its hallmarks. So..... I'm a happy camper - so far.
You will find it does a very nice job on , noise , detail and once you learn the program and start using color editor and adjustment layers its really hard to ignore it. Sure it does not have great cataloging like LR but end of day what are we really after and that is the best files you can produce, the rest of the stuff is just fluff. There are many tricks to C1 like I put all my essential tools in 1 tab and I don't have to go to far elsewhere.

As you can see a couple images posted above with nice detail no jaggies and such. You can even stitch panos from within right to photoshop. It is just not a fun learning curve.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I agree Guy, my dirty secret is that I use LR for all imports but if I feel an image really matters, I will trip it through C1 and output to TIFF for re-import to LR where it will live catalogue-wise. On many cameras it seems not to matter but sometimes one comes along, like the A7R, where it really does seem to make a difference.