The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony Alpha E-Mount 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Zoom Lens. So how is it

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I may have to go for the zoom for my gig in January as one aspect of it is I need a zoom for part of this event. Plus I have at least one AF lens for it. This don't have to be the best zoom ever its PR crap and it frees my other 2 Nikons at the same time for staff to shoot and i can shoot this with my strobes and a PW. Love to get one dirt cheap and I seen some folks selling them on ebay out of there kit.

I just want to know if it is half way decent. I have a Nikon 5200 with kit lens that is just okay. Actually tempted to sell it now but was hoping this lens is somewhat better.

Rawfa

I´ve just ordered one. It should arrive next week. I´ll be sure to post my thoughts.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks I may get it for this gig than sell it for the 24-70 which if I knew the exact date I could get my hands on one I would just wait it out but I have to have something by Jan. 12th. I'm really tempted to just buy the A7 with one in the kit. I need a Nikon fire sale for that trick. LOL

djonesii

Workshop Member
Just guessing .....

At F5.6-F8 with the PW and strobes, the A7 + kit will blow away the D5200 + kit in the same settings.

Given that you are controlling light, willing to bet a beer that the combo would blow away D5200 + 17-55 2.8 @ 5.6-8.

who knows for sure, but fun to guess.

As you say, not the most stressful of shooting scenarios!

Dave