The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony manual focusing

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I think my favorite feature outside of being small is manual focusing. Focus peaking is a dream come true , it actually ****ing works. I've done digital for years and ever since they did away with film cameras focusing has always been a back burner item. I was just out with several manual focus lenses on tripod and handheld and I nailed everything without thinking about it even my Zeiss 135. I'm still fiddling with controls and placement . C2 is just in a bad spot for a left eyed shooter. But have to say you get around pretty good and just have to get used to it to get fast at everything. Really well done by Sony, yes there are some firmware things in need but hopefully they will get to them soon.pretty impressed so far.

Guy Mancuso

Ron what I did not mention was the EVF is the best I ever tried . Seriously it almost looks optical.

Guy Mancuso

All that stuff works nice now need to like everything else. The grip is nice but feels lose or better said the plastic base gives somewhat on a tripod. I think its a handhold only item. But for me when I really need that on a tripod I'll be mounted to the lens instead so won't matter.

jagsiva

The DMF (Direct Manual Focus) is pretty cool too with AF lenses. You AF, but can turn the focus ring for fine-tuning, and the icing is it automatically magnifies and peaks (assuming you have these turned on) on the focus point you AF'd with. Very cool

D

Deleted member 7792

I think my favorite feature outside of being small is manual focusing. Focus peaking is a dream come true , it actually ****ing works. I've done digital for years and ever since they did away with film cameras focusing has always been a back burner item. I was just out with several manual focus lenses on tripod and handheld and I nailed everything without thinking about it even my Zeiss 135. I'm still fiddling with controls and placement . C2 is just in a bad spot for a left eyed shooter. But have to say you get around pretty good and just have to get used to it to get fast at everything. Really well done by Sony, yes there are some firmware things in need but hopefully they will get to them soon.pretty impressed so far.
I fully agree, Guy. EVF and focus peaking on the Sony beats the hell out of anything else I've used (and I have an RX1 and an M 240). For a guy like me with poor vision, it's a Godsend. Finally, I can focus a Noctilux successfully every freakin' time. :thumbs:

Joe

doug

I think my favorite feature outside of being small is manual focusing.
Music to my ears, Guy. You're one of the few people I know of who has used both the a7 and the DMR…. how would you compare the color quality?

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I left the magnify on C1, as it comes from the factory. On both my A99 and A7r, I put a small ball of SUGRU on the button and flattened it down a bit. Once it hardens, it stays put and makes moving from the shutter button over to the magnify button (on the A7r), very easy.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Don't make it any bigger than the button. It sticks up and is rubbery, so you can find the bump easily. I don't think you want to get Sugru down into the area around the button. :( Later, if you sell the camera, you can just remove it and there is no damage. I did this on NEX 5N, NEX7, A77 and removed the button from all when I sold them with no tell-tale sign.

Ron Pfister

I left the magnify on C1, as it comes from the factory. On both my A99 and A7r, I put a small ball of SUGRU on the button and flattened it down a bit. Once it hardens, it stays put and makes moving from the shutter button over to the magnify button (on the A7r), very easy.
Great idea, Cindy! I think I have a spare Leica dot somewhere. I might just stick that on C1… :)

bcm

I've got focus mag set on the button inside the AEL ring. My thumb naturally falls there when I'm holding the camera so it's a no brainer to find it whilst shooting without moving my eye from the EVF.

C2 for zoom on review is a real pain. I have lady fingers and I still find it annoying to get to because it's sort of recessed due to its proximity to the lip from the LCD. I wish you could remap it.

vjbelle

This thread certainly highlights the benefits of the A7 series. The EVF is a dream and peaking is extremely effective and is still active with the first magnification level.

Victor

Ben Rubinstein

I've got peaking on as standard and magnify on the centre button in the middle of the ring, I find it easier to use due to it's size. C2 is harder to get to and C1 is TINY! Keep in mind Guy, on a Zeiss lens you're going to see peaking perfectly and it will be very accurate, on older lenses with less contrast, peaking is a lot less accurate.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Guy, I agree with your assessment of the MF aids on the A7/r: I met up with a fellow member from here yesterday, and used a 50/3.5 macro on a tilt adapter, and it's absolutely easy to use and focus, even hand held. The member had the magnification toggles mapped to the centre button on the AF/MF switch, like Ben above; it falls to the thumb completely automatically while the fingers hold the grip. Decent effective design.

Cindy, cold you snap a pic of your mod when you get a chance?

I can't buy one immediately (she who must be obeyed insists that I finish a book first) but I will. Still debating over A7 vs. A7r.