The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help me pick a 50 for the A7r

cunim

I just need two lenses to be happy. I have a long one (90mm) and now need something in the 50 range. I like modern lenses with minimal CA and consistent response across the image. Fast is nice but I have to be realistic about that.

I was hoping to get the Sony FE55, but the sample images worry me. I see some corner smearing with that lens or maybe I am just hypersensitive.

I have a gen1 'cron 50R that works well at f4.5 and above but the corners smear below that. A bit limiting. Is the E55R cron better? Anyone have corner samples at wide apertures?

I like Micro Nikkors, having used the 55/2.8 for digital imaging in the past. I am thinking that might be a nice flexible lens. Anyone tried it on the A7r?

Open to any suggestion.

hcubell

I just need two lenses to be happy. I have a long one (90mm) and now need something in the 50 range. I like modern lenses with minimal CA and consistent response across the image. Fast is nice but I have to be realistic about that.

I was hoping to get the Sony FE55, but the sample images worry me. I see some corner smearing with that lens or maybe I am just hypersensitive.

I have a gen1 'cron 50R that works well at f4.5 and above but the corners smear below that. A bit limiting. Is the E55R cron better? Anyone have corner samples at wide apertures?

I like Micro Nikkors, having used the 55/2.8 for digital imaging in the past. I am thinking that might be a nice flexible lens. Anyone tried it on the A7r?

Open to any suggestion.
The samples I have seen from the sony zeiss 55 1.8 have been exceptional. Detail and tonality approaching or at medium format digital quality. These samples were done by Lloyd chambers on his paid subscription site. He was blown away by the test images. So was I. There may be some 50 mm lenses out there that render out of focus areas more smoothly, but for the type of work I do, I would not buy a lens based upon how it renders oof areas. I typically want everything in sharp focus, including the corners.

Ron Pfister

I should add that I focused in the center at f/2.8 and then shot the series from wide open without re-focusing. Based on my experience, edge and corner sharpness can be optimized at f/4-8 if focused at the working aperture (i.e. compensating for field curvature and focus shift as much as possible).

vjbelle

The samples I have seen from the sony zeiss 55 1.8 have been exceptional. Detail and tonality approaching or at medium format digital quality. These samples were done by Lloyd chambers on his paid subscription site. He was blown away by the test images. So was I. There may be some 50 mm lenses out there that render out of focus areas more smoothly, but for the type of work I do, I would not buy a lens based upon how it renders oof areas. I typically want everything in sharp focus, including the corners.
You mean you're relying strictly on Chambers for your benchmark and haven't shot this lens yourself? The only thing Chambers does for me is nudge me in the direction of trying for myself.

Victor

vjbelle

I should add that I focused in the center at f/2.8 and then shot the series from wide open. Based on my experience, edge and corner sharpness can be optimized at f/4-8 if focused at the working aperture.
So what's the problem with the Leica? I don't own a 50mm lens that shoots sharp edge to edge under f5.6 - nothing! The only lens that may do that is the Otus which I would own if I could find one. If you buy the Sony 55 you had better test carefully and make sure you can return it!!

Victor

Ron Pfister

And then I'd like to add that I added the Cron-R 50 E55 to my collection primarily for panos and for other situations where excellent corner-to-corner performance at f/5.6-8 and low distortion are useful. Corner performance of my Makro-Planar 50 is not at the same level at these apertures. Plus the cron is much smaller and lighter, despite being built like a tank.

Ron Pfister

So what's the problem with the Leica? I don't own a 50mm lens that shoots sharp edge to edge under f5.6 - nothing!
Same here. And no problems with the Cron-R 50 - love the lens! My comment was aimed at the sharpness seen in the right edge crops at f/4 and 5.6. This can be improved upon by carefully focusing at the respective working aperture. Sorry if I wasn't clear...

The only lens that may do that is the Otus which I would own if I could find one. If you buy the Sony 55 you had better test carefully and make sure you can return it!!
As stated in the thread specific for this lens, I'm not interested at this point. Will wait for Zeiss to show their hand regarding MF FE glass...

vjbelle

My comment was aimed at the sharpness seen in the right edge crops at f/4 and 5.6. This can be improved upon by carefully focusing at the respective working aperture. Sorry if I wasn't clear...
My feelings regarding anything critical is to use f8. Its not a dirty symbol;).... but rather an aperture that gives the best results for critical work. Heck, I normally shoot my Digitars at F11.... I consider them one F/stop +1/3 -1/3 lenses. Just gotta find that sweet aperture.:D

Victor

Ron Pfister

I agree regarding f/8 - it's universally good. But that extra bite you get on the A7R and D800E at f/4-5.6 sure is nice. :)

Regarding the E55 cron r, corner sharpness is nearly the same with respect to center also full open. What we see in Ron's example is blooming, together with contrast reduction due to vignetting. Ron, did you apply vignetting correction on that image? With backlight from sky, this could worsen the situation.

Ron Pfister

Regarding the E55 cron r, corner sharpness is nearly the same with respect to center also full open. What we see in Ron's example is blooming, together with contrast reduction due to vignetting. Ron, did you apply vignetting correction on that image? With backlight from sky, this could worsen the situation.
Thanks for asking! Yes, I corrected for vignetting in order to be able to judge edge and corner detail better.

Edit: and yes, you can clearly see that the detail is there at f/2, it's just veiled by the blooming. The right edge is really a very high-contrast area of the image (I lifted the shadows somewhat, too). So this really is in many ways a worst-case example. I have only praise for the lens. I think its combination of price, size and performance is hard to beat. And it's built to survive just about anything. Some people say it lacks character, but I find it's perfect for my purposes. Character can be added in post… ;)

mark1958

The Nikkor 50mm/1.2 AIS is performing well on my A7. The lens is decent wide open but becomes really quite good edge to edge by f2.0. I am traveling but can try to post some examples in a couple of days. The lens is small and quite light. Minimum focus at 1.5 ft. The other lens i have gotten really nice results with is the Zeiss 50mm/2 Makro.. I have not taken too many distance shots with it yet -- nor compared it directly with the Nikkor but i do plan to do so in the near future. THe Zeiss is sturdy and well built-- a bit heavier than the Nikkor.

V

Vivek

Open to any suggestion.
What would you use the lens for? The Summicron R 50/2 (v1) for me is great. So is the 55/3.5 Micro Nikkor, so is the Revuenon 50/1.4. The OM 50/1.2 is superlative, can't wax enough lyrics about it. ;) Canon 50/0.95, is great as well. I will have a few 50s in Leica M mount (sent them out for mounting) sometime. They will all do well. Olympus pen F 60/1.5 is fantastic. This is an endless list....

I also think that the lifetime of the A7R is much much longer than a gnat. :D

There is an interesting post here: http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/the...it-really-that-good-new-photozone-eoshd-tests

Last edited:

cunim

Thanks all, and please keep the suggestions coming.

Ron, kind of you to post the images. it looks as if the E55R Cron is a bit better than the gen 1. This will seem silly, but I also really like its built in hood. Boy would I like to try the new 50 cron asph - just for fun.

Trouble with the other suggestions is that I live in a small town and cannot find unusual lenses. Means bringing stuff in and I prefer to narrow it down a lot before doing that. Vivek, thanks for all the specific lenses you mention. I would love to try them all. We shoot with very different expectations but we both like the 50 cron. Another vote for that.

I suppose I should wait and try the FE55 in the flesh. Center rendering does look spectacular.

I have learned that reviews are not particularly useful because my photo interests are my own. However, this Lloyd guy (I am not a subscriber) did spot the shutter vibration issue when most of the other popular pundits missed it. Good on him. Wonder what his lens reviews are like.

Ron Pfister

Thanks all, and please keep the suggestions coming.

Ron, kind of you to post the images. it looks as if the E55R Cron is a bit better than the gen 1. This will seem silly, but I also really like its built in hood.
You are most welcome! And I agree: built-in hoods should be a mandatory feature. Are you listening, Zeiss? :)

cunim

Just to update, I picked up an FE55 and think I will keep it. No sign of decentering that I can see.

Renders differently from the Summicron R 50 it replaces in my bag, and a bit mixed in terms of good and bad. For one thing, I am unused to AF and don't much care for it. However, the MF works fine and the balance of factors (lower weight, aperture logging, better corners below f5.6) comes up in the Sony's favor.

Why do they put these massive plastic hoods onto their lenses? I replaced it with one of the nice rubber flip-out thingies that screws into the filter mount. Takes care of that.

Dot Line Tele-Wide 49mm Lens Hoods DL-92949 B&H Photo Video

retow

Does it have to have AF, weather-sealing, sharp across the frame, nice oof rendering,? If yes, the FE55 is the only game in town. Avoid m-mount lenses, they are no match for the FE55`s overall performance (I tried the 50 Summilux asph and non asph, ZM 50 Sonnar, 50 Elmar). Considering performance, built quality and versatility, the FE55 is reasonably priced imo.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just to update, I picked up an FE55 and think I will keep it. No sign of decentering that I can see.

Renders differently from the Summicron R 50 it replaces in my bag, and a bit mixed in terms of good and bad. For one thing, I am unused to AF and don't much care for it. However, the MF works fine and the balance of factors (lower weight, aperture logging, better corners below f5.6) comes up in the Sony's favor.

Why do they put these massive plastic hoods onto their lenses? I replaced it with one of the nice rubber flip-out thingies that screws into the filter mount. Takes care of that.

Dot Line Tele-Wide 49mm Lens Hoods DL-92949 B&H Photo Video
I always buy screw in metal hoods they are very cheap on eBay and they protect the lens plus I never use front caps. Makes switching lens a breeze . This 55 sounds nice. I might get it in February. I need my Zeiss 25f2 first