The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Need Leica R to E adapter

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
This is sort of a WTB with a twist. First I have a Novaflex Nikon G to E adapter that I am using on both my Leica 19 and Zeiss 135. But I was thinking of keeping it on the Zeiss since it fits better there. What I can do is put my original Leica mount back on the 19mm and dedicate a metabones or Novaflex R to E adapter. Problem is I can't find one but in the spirit of Christmas I thought if a member had one to sell to me. Than I could buy it and as a Christmas present send them my Leica R to Nikon Leitax rear mount as a gift. So if anyone has one please let me know. Normally I would not post this here but in the B&S but Im on a time crunch as i leave town on the 30th for 3 weeks that I just took some liberties here. Heck i deserve it. LOL

Or if you see one out there let me know . I tried e-bay, B&H, Adorama, amazon and neither one are available. Looks like these Sonys are taking off and good for them. Thanks and Happy Holidays

Gbealnz

While I'd love to trade with you Guy, it just wouldn't be cricket, as the English would say.
In my case, I bought the EOS to E adaptor, a cheap one, and use that as the main fitting. Works fine though.
Then I got CY to EOS, Nik to EOS, and in my case also R to EOS.
Would that work for you?
Gary

mjm6

Guy,

Unfortunately, I'm no help for your specific problem, but here's what I recommend... figure out a temporary solution for the lens for the trip.

Then when you get back, put a Leitax Leica to Sony A adapter mount on the lens, and buy a proper focal length chip to glue to the mount. Then you won't have to swap out the lens adapter as part of changing lenses, and it reports the proper focal length to the camera for accounting purposes later on, and if you wanted to automate any lens adjustments when importing, you have that ability to do so.

Of course, you lose the ability to mount the lens on other cameras other than Sony A mount (a99 a900, etc.), so that is a consideration.

I've been more than pleased with this approach for my Leica R lenses on the a900, and I believe it will work well on the a7/a7r as well.

The only real drawback is that you can't effectively chip for zoom lenses, as it will only report a single focal length, and it reports the maximum aperture, so you ca't do corrections based on the lens and specific aperture used, but I don't think that will be an issue in most people's shooting.

---Michael

Guy Mancuso

Wait a second I have the Sony adapter for A lenses the one with the translucent mirror in it. So I could just get the Leitax to Sony A with the chip and I would see the EXIF data?????

No that sounds like a good idea

Guy Mancuso

Btw the reason I want to switch is my hood is tilting right in the Nikon adapter and I'm getting a touch of vignetting from the hood. Reason I wanted to go back to the Leica R adapter . Maybe I'll just buy a cheapie for now. But I do like the Leitax A idea but they take forever to get

gurtch

Try RainbowImaging.com. Their cheap adapters ($10 or $15, as I recall) seem well made. I have one, but have not yet used it.
Dave

Schmiddi

I ordered Leitax R-E - adapter, it's on the way from Spain to me. It's screwed to the existing mount (so no replacement as on other mounts), only screws replaced. Actually I have a R-M + M-E - adapter solution. And it's not very solid (carefully said)... OK, R-M is cheap from China, but to many adapters is bigger chance for a permanent tilt :)
Outside it's silver, so maybe not looking to nice with a Leica-lens - but well: I'm an civil engineer - form follows function!
Andreas

mjm6

Wait a second I have the Sony adapter for A lenses the one with the translucent mirror in it. So I could just get the Leitax to Sony A with the chip and I would see the EXIF data?????

No that sounds like a good idea

Yes... it will report focal length and max aperture.

I think it is a great solution, and am very happy now that I did that with all my R lenses for the a900.

EDIT: You have to order a chip from another maker to glue on the Leitax mount. You tell them the FL and the aperture to program in the chip before they send it. That's how you get the correct reporting in the EXIF.

Guy Mancuso

I do like the chipped version on this one for my Nikon. So anyone have one they want to sell I will buy it and give you mine as a Christmas present. Leica R to A 10 hole is what i need

JonPB

Guy,

I have a Leica R to Metabones E adapter that I don't foresee using in January, as I have a Speed Booster and NEX to back up my R7. If you want to borrow the adapter for your trip, and return it or buy it as you like afterwards, I'd be happy to do that as a gesture of holiday spirit. :)

Cheers,
Jon

Guy Mancuso

Jon I can do that but I don't mind buying it as that would be fine for as I need to put my R mount back on to get my hood to straighten out. Just PM me your Paypal and cost and I will do it first thing in morning. I'll pay for quick shipping too. I need it latest the 29th.

Thank You your Christmas spirit is lovely. You want my Leica to Nikon let me know I'll send it free.

Guy Mancuso

You too Jon and thanks. Enjoy the Holiday. I'm coking eggplant Parmesan right now . At least preparing it. Lol

bensonga

Both Adorama and Amazon now have the Novoflex Leica R to Sony E mount adapter in stock. B&H is still back-ordered.

Ordered mine last night....now I just have to decide, A7 or A7R?

Gary

ZoranC

I ordered Leitax R-E - adapter, it's on the way from Spain to me. It's screwed to the existing mount (so no replacement as on other mounts), only screws replaced.
Are you saying that Leitax offers R to E adapter that doesn't require replacement of mount on my R lens, that it just gets screwed on top of native R mount on lens?

Guy Mancuso

It would still require the same distance as a normal adapter from the sensor. If that's the case that would be nice.

All R lenses where designed for a mirror system. So you have to have that space for a Mirrorless