The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss Nikon Mount for Sony A7 ??

Hi,
Sorry to be so needy on the subject of the Sony A7 but I'm trying to make as few mistakes as possible.
I'm thinking about the Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F/1.4 ZF.2 Lens for Nikon F-Mount Cameras and getting the Novoflex adapter that Guy suggested .
Does this sound like a good combo or am I going around my elbow to get to my thumb?
I understand that it includes the decision to go with manual focus instead of auto found on the native 35mm Zeiss for the A7. Manual focus is a little more fun and feels like I'm more involved in the picture making but then auto is quicker especially for my older eyes.
I've heard a few folks say this camera is easy to manual focus.
Thanks!!
Robert

Ron Pfister

Couldn't agree more regarding manual focus. The Novoflex adapter Guy recommended will do the job fine. It includes a feature that lets you control the aperture of Nikon G-lenses by twisting a ring on the adapter. This is not needed when using any ZF.2 lens. The featue makes the adapter a bit more expensive, and I think it would be great if Novoflex would offer a second adapter for F-lenses with aperture rings. That said, one advantage of this adapter is that Novoflex makes a matching rotating tripod collar (the ASTAT-NEX) that you can also use with all their other current adapters. This is a very nice feature if you're planning to use a tripod often. Hope this helps...

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Robert,

The ZF.2 50 1.4 has one of the ugliest OOF renderings of any 50 lens...the 50 F 2.0 is much more pleasant...Sigma 50 or 35 or an older Nikon 50 AIS may give you more pleasant rendering. Or get a Leica R 50 if you can find one in good condition.

The present Nikon AF lenses...G lenses all have a pleasant in to OOF transition.

There are some specific comments on these if you do a search for 50's...

Bob

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Robert,

The ZF.2 50 1.4 has one of the ugliest OOF renderings of any 50 lens...the 50 F 2.0 is much more pleasant...Sigma 50 or 35 or an older Nikon 50 AIS may give you more pleasant rendering. Or get a Leica R 50 if you can find one in good condition.

The present Nikon AF lenses...G lenses all have a pleasant in to OOF transition.

There are some specific comments on these if you do a search for 50's...

Bob

Schmiddi

Well - if you already have this lens, then adapter make sense to me. If not - I would go to Sony 1,8/55. It should be much better optically than this quite old ZF-design, has AF and full aperture control. OK, it's half f-stop less, but I would ignore this...
I have Zeiss ZM2/50 - and will check it within the next weeks and then even might replace it by the Sony.
Andreas