The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HSS and A7/7R

V

Vivek

Has anyone tried the High Speed Sync (HSS) with a Sony flash and the A7R (in particular). The camera says that it is capable of doing that (with an appropriate flash, of course). In the event someone has done that above 1/160s, please give the exact procedure to get that and how high one can go.

TIA!

cunim

Vivek, I would like to know this as well. When I try using my Profoto air remote and flashes I get the shutter curtain in the frame as soon as I go above 160 or so. Can't remember exactly. Maybe there is a way?

W.Utsch

Hi Vivek,

HSS is absolutely possible with the A7R. Sync above 160/S OK.

I have a Metz 50 AF-1 for Sony, you put the flash in HSS Mode, the Cam in regular flash mode and that's it.
With a Sony flash it should be possible as well.
If you tilt the flash to bounce however there is no HSS mode on the Metz (don't know about the Sony flashes)

Wireless with a small HVL-F20M on cam and the Metz remote works flawless.

Regards
Werner

V

Vivek

Hi Werner,

Superb!:thumbs: Thanks a bunch!:)

(The tilt is the same with the Sony flashes)

Peter, You need a TTL flash (except the HVL-20) to enable the HSS.

W.Utsch

Yes with TTL! The same functions as the Sony's.

Guy: The Metz is very nice and much cheaper than the Sony flashes, bought it for the RX1!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks I always liked Metz flashes had several of them over the years and they just work.

I'll look agin but there was one for about 300 dollars which is my budget that looked perfect for our cams

Guy Mancuso

I lost some of my gear money to dropping my dang IPad mini yesterday and shattering the glass. If you ever saw the tv commercial with guy with a cracked screen waiting to upgrade his phone with all cut up fingers . Well that's me this morning. Ouch

Lol

I think apple charges about 200 to replace it.

Guy Mancuso

LOL yea you got any first aid tape. LOL

Oh and its really shattered too. It still works surprisingly.

V

Vivek

LOL yea you got any first aid tape. LOL

Oh and its really shattered too. It still works surprisingly.
I don't know about your neighborhood but here there are plenty of wizards operating out of their garage to fix anything (iphone, pad, etc) for a very small charge and they do it quickly as well.

bcaslis

Has anyone tried the High Speed Sync (HSS) with a Sony flash and the A7R (in particular). The camera says that it is capable of doing that (with an appropriate flash, of course). In the event someone has done that above 1/160s, please give the exact procedure to get that and how high one can go.

TIA!
I have not done it with the A7r but I have done it with the A7. Just mounted the Sony HVL-F43M flash, put the camera in manual, set shutter speed to 1/500 and fired. Perfectly exposed shot, nothing really to do as long as using a Sony flash that supports HSS.