The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7R is officially sliding toward obsolescence.

fotografz

Not that obselence isn't a fact of life with all these camera lately ;)

A SR4 level rumor has surfaced that the next iteration of the A mount cameras will sport a brand new EFV with an increase of resolution to 4mio dot. :eek:

How long before that appears in an A7RX?

Two new FF A mount SLTs coming in 2014 (SR4 rumor) ... including a high-end flagship model with a dual A/E mount ... flip a lever, remove the A mount, and you have an E mount. One FF may be as early as Spring (my bet is 36 meg with the new EVF) ... the other the end of 2014 (my bet is 50+ meg with the dual A/E mount, global shutter, and possibly an even higher res EVF).

The Sony "Cornucopia of Cameras" keeps spilling them out.

Hope they continue to keep prices in check so our wallets can keep up :ROTFL:

- Marc

JJB

Marc, a long-time appreciative reader of everyone on this forum...I've learned A LOT about photography.

The pace of development is bewildering, isn't it? I finally came to the conclusion maybe 1 year ago to view lenses as long-term investments, and bodies as upgradeable every two years or so.

Therefore I WELCOME advancements from Sony as fast as possible, even if it does depress resale values a bit. Anything they can do to move us toward medium format quality in a compact body/affordable price, is OK by me! I have bought into that model and accept that there is a price tag for it.

But that 50+MP model will produce such huge files that now I will need a new MAC-PRO to handle it! That part is gonna hurt....

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
BIG BIG BIG is my motto. Okay back to driving . Hate la traffic . First stop calumet need a dang flash. Lol

Doe's this **** ever end. Marc my wallet is hiding. Lol

BTW I never known anyone return a TV because it was too big and I never known a women, ah never mind . :D

Shashin

Sony has just announced it will be closing some of its factories in Japan, including camera facilities. This might be more than obsolescence.

cunim

Sony has just announced it will be closing some of its factories in Japan, including camera facilities. This might be more than obsolescence.
God, I hope not.

Just checked your link. Lovely and interesting site. Wonder how urban Japanese react to Hikari or does he not go there?

Shashin

God, I hope not.

Just checked your link. Lovely and interesting site. Wonder how urban Japanese react to Hikari or does he not go there?
Well, thank you. No, we have never taken our girl Hikari to Japan, but she would probably be a hit. I just don't think the summers would be kind to her.

As far as the Sony announcement, they did not really specify the type of closure--whether it is compact cameras or higher end models. But the camera industry has been going through some hard times.

fotografz

Thanks for that, Mr Negative spin :rolleyes:.

Hopefully they are closing factories that produce the myriad of insipid Sony consumer cameras that are tanking in the marketplace ... just like they are for all other manufacturers.

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll also fire the engineers/designers that keep putting all the no-brainer, menu stuffing consumer junk on their better cameras :thumbs:

Sales of cameras have taken a nose dive off a cliff in the past couple of years, especially this past year, thanks to Smart phones. So, smaller production of higher-end photo enthusiasts stuff that grabs market share from slower to act, entrenched companies seems in order. Marketing 101.

Oh, wait ... Sony is already doing that!

Never seen a single camera trigger dump-age of systems like this one has so far. Honestly, at this stage of the game, it has crossed my mind to move out of some really expensive M lenses as these FEs come on line. Got my FE55/1.8 today ... freaking amazing. Now just gimme an AF FE 30mm pancake and my shoulders will send a thank-you note directly to Sony.

May you live in interesting times.

- Marc

Ben Rubinstein

Talking of AlphaRumors, did you see the video of the guy running his A7 under a tap for about 30 seconds or so? Hurt to watch but serious kudos sony!

MikalWGrass

The lust for newer cameras, faster cars, fancier watches, etc. The more I read about this stuff, the more I want to use my M6 and a900 until my fingers fall off. I know I need something better for low light and better high iso, and as a general take with me camera, but I am not sure.

This GAS stuff gives me gas and is maddening.

jaree

Marc,

If I remember correctly you had an S2 as well. If so, are you still keeping it? Any thoughts on the A7R files versus S2? I know it is not apples to apples.

Best,

Eeraj

Never seen a single camera trigger dump-age of systems like this one has so far. Honestly, at this stage of the game, it has crossed my mind to move out of some really expensive M lenses as these FEs come on line. Got my FE55/1.8 today ... freaking amazing. Now just gimme an AF FE 30mm pancake and my shoulders will send a thank-you note directly to Sony.

May you live in interesting times.

- Marc

fotografz

Marc,

If I remember correctly you had an S2 as well. If so, are you still keeping it? Any thoughts on the A7R files versus S2? I know it is not apples to apples.

Best,

Eeraj
The S2 is my main money maker ... it differs in that it, and all my S lenses, are leaf shutter allowing sync speeds to 1/1000 using powerful strobes that allow me to overpower the sun outdoors.

Oh, and the lenses are pretty good ;)

- Marc

algrove

The S2 is my main money maker ... it differs in that it, and all my S lenses, are leaf shutter allowing sync speeds to 1/1000 using powerful strobes that allow me to overpower the sun outdoors.

Oh, and the lenses are pretty good ;)

- Marc
And here I thought the S lenses were superb. :chug:

jerome_m

The lust for newer cameras, faster cars, fancier watches, etc. The more I read about this stuff, the more I want to use my M6 and a900 until my fingers fall off. I know I need something better for low light and better high iso, and as a general take with me camera, but I am not sure.
Actually, the A900 is a very good low light camera. Newer cameras higher isos are not as good as "reviews" would like you to believe and the A900 almost matches them if you shoot raw and use noise reduction in post processing. And the A900 can use f/1.4 lenses with stabilisation, which is a huge advantage.

fotografz

Actually, the A900 is a very good low light camera. Newer cameras higher isos are not as good as "reviews" would like you to believe and the A900 almost matches them if you shoot raw and use noise reduction in post processing. And the A900 can use f/1.4 lenses with stabilisation, which is a huge advantage.
These are good points Jerome. I still have my A900, plus an A99, plus now an A7R ... made possible because I still shoot enough for pay to at least cover it all. Each one brings something different to the party.

The A900 was, and still is, a remarkable camera ... actually a simpler, less gadget laden tool than most Sony cameras (or others for that matter). Plus, lest we forget, it is the first and last Sony full-frame 35mm DSLR with an optical viewfinder ... and a good one at that!

I also like the IBIS indicator in the A900's viewfinder. Plus, for most practical purposes, despite all the hoop-la about dual AF of the A99SLT, for normal shooting it is no faster than the A900 with most A mount lenses. What the A99 brought to the party was a stop better ISO, live view, dual SD card slots, and EVF type photography ... all well and good for some, but not needed, or even wanted by others.

BTW, in addition to all you mention as attributes, I would add ruggedness ... something earned by shooting weddings with one for five years. I honestly believe Sony over-built and under-sold the A900 to break into new areas of photography and earn a reputation.

Mikal is a long time friend, I'm pretty sure he would prefer a smaller camera to his A900, however, I would not recommend the A7R to him for what and how he shoots. If anything, maybe a A7 which is a lot less expensive ... (until you add the small FE lenses). Trust me, the ISO performance of the A7R is a bit of a leap forward over the A900 without resorting to fast aperture lenses, shot wide open and noise reduction in post.

Personally I think Mikal can ease off the GAS pains ... Sony is probably a generation away from making his camera ... until then we A900 owners should kick back and enjoy a fine camera. :thumbup:

- Marc

MikalWGrass

Marc and Jerome,

Jerome, I have a few A mount lenses that I really enjoy. Sometimes I prefer the use the A mount 50/1.4 (which I picked up for a shade over $200.00) over the Leica R 50/1.4 with Leitax adapter because the colors are so much richer than with the Leica. The only thing is that I am too lazy to figure out the micro adjust for the 50 so I use the R. I had the A mount 85/1.4 but sold it to get the ZA 85/1.4, which decoupled from my camera and bounced on the concrete. I also have the A 35/2 which I bought from Chad (Show Performance). He understated just how great that lens is.

I cut my teeth on an M6 so I was always limited to a high end iso of 6400. I didn't know I needed higher iso than 6400, ever, until the newer higher iso cameras arrived a few years ago. I guess ignorance was bliss. The only reason I want a higher iso than 6400 is so I don't have to shoot at 1/15 or slower when using longer lenses.

Since I have no immediate plans to get rid of the a900 can you recommend a good, stand alone or plug in, noise reduction program?

Marc, you're probably right about the need for another camera. One of the reasons I want another camera is to use it as a travel type of camera. The a900 really takes up a lot of space. The A7 with the battery grip might be the right size. I will see later this week when you make your trek to FL.

I am in no danger of buying another camera immediately so the GAS pains are easing. Bar mitzvahs and family celebrations always contain hidden costs so I need to hold back on purchases.

One of the real reasons why I want another camera is so I have wifi connectivity. Natalie is always in a rush to see the photos online, and with my current set up I cannot do that. I just bought her the fancy Sony RX100 but it has been sitting around. I figure that if she has this camera she can post her photos on FB or wherever, for the family to see.

Yes, the a900 is rugged. I have knocked it about and then some, and like a Timex watch, it keeps on ticking.

I can tell you this: if I get an A7 or another camera body, I will have to rid myself of the extra M6 (.72) so as to keep the camera clutter to a minimum. The extra body sits around for those "just in case" moments, which are fewer and farther between now that I have the a900.

Safe travels to Florida later this week, Marc.

Mikal

Godfrey

I haven't drunk the A7 Kool Aid and doubt I will. The Kool Aid in my pitcher is sweet enough, I'm selling off the rest of the Hawaiian Punch. I'll keep the Glen Rothes for a bit.

Reading this and various other sites, it sometimes becomes easy to forget that the goal is to make photographs that satisfy ... I'm planning to concentrate on doing that this year. :)

iiiNelson

I haven't drunk the A7 Kool Aid and doubt I will. The Kool Aid in my pitcher is sweet enough, I'm selling off the rest of the Hawaiian Punch. I'll keep the Glen Rothes for a bit.

Reading this and various other sites, it sometimes becomes easy to forget that the goal is to make photographs that satisfy ... I'm planning to concentrate on doing that this year. :)
Despite some of the overly critical drama I promise this Kool-aid won't make you want to kill yourself in hopes that a spaceship will come whisk you away into some unknown dimension.

Taste the Kool-aid. LOL

Godfrey

Despite some of the overly critical drama I promise this Kool-aid won't make you want to kill yourself in hopes that a spaceship will come whisk you away into some unknown dimension.

Taste the Kool-aid. LOL
Oh, that's ok. As said, I'm happy enough with my Olympus Kool Aid. :)