The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7R & PlayMemories Remote - Awesome!

jagsiva

I played with the play memories software via iPhone and an ad-hoc wifi connection when I first got the camera. It looked quite limited. Basically just allowed for triggering, timer, and download.

Today I upgraded the remote app in my iPhone which has new features for the A7/R and also upgraded the Remote Application in the camera. This requires you to create an account with www.sony.net/pmca

The new remote is quite incredible:

1. The camera mode is obviously whatever is physically selected on the camera, so PASM

2. You can set A,S, WB, Timer

3. You can select quality of LV image

4. Few other options

6. The cherry - you can touch focus - Focus stacking for landscapes!

7. Not sure if supports zooming/magnify of the LV image, have not figured it out yet.

8. The ad-hoc wifi chews batteries, don't have any specific data

Not sure if this is common knowledge, but the talk of shutter vibrations, need for remotes etc. I thought this would be quite useful. I am just thrilled!!

BTW, on iPhone, you'll need to manually enter the adhoc WIFI code. With newer Android devices, you may have NFC, which means just tap the devices together and you're all set.

Good luck!

scho

I played with the play memories software via iPhone and an ad-hoc wifi connection when I first got the camera. It looked quite limited. Basically just allowed for triggering, timer, and download.

Today I upgraded the remote app in my iPhone which has new features for the A7/R and also upgraded the Remote Application in the camera. This requires you to create an account with www.sony.net/pmca

1. The camera mode is obviously whatever is physically selected on the camera, so PASM

4. Few other options

7. Not sure if supports zooming/magnify of the LV image, have not figured it out yet.

Not sure if this is common knowledge, but the talk of shutter vibrations, need for remotes etc. I thought this would be quite useful. I am just thrilled!!

BTW, on iPhone, you'll need to manually enter the adhoc WIFI code. With newer Android devices, you may have NFC, which means just tap the devices together and you're all set.

Good luck!
I'm still waiting for Sony to update Wireless Auto Import for Mac OS 10.9 (currently broken with last the OS update). I like to use this feature to avoid the need for constant pulling/plugging in the SD card for getting files to my computer. I used this feature a lot with the NEX6 and was hoping to do the same with the A7R.

ferrellmc

4. Few other options

Good luck!
What version, mine is supposedly up to date and all I have is exposure compensation, self timer, review image, save options(on,off).

jagsiva

1. Magnify does work in DMF mode, just like in the EVF or rear LCD. As soon as you touch the focus ring you get a magnified view of the area around the selected focus point - very useful. I have not tested with pure MF lenses, but I assume, the Focus Magnify feature would work similarly.
2. Sadly, S can only be set to a max of 30" just as in camera
3. Movie mode is not supported
4. You do have the option of downloading the entire image (ouch) or a 2MB version. Would like to see a 5MB version :)

I can see some great potential for this app if Sony puts a few pennies into it. I have the CamRanger for Nikon, and it is fantastic. The built in WIFI with the A7R, makes this even more slick.

sflxn

It's a nice app, but I find it a little slow. I tried to set it up for family photos during the holidays, and I gave up on it for shooting kids. There seems to be a 1-2 sec delay between clicking the shutter in the app and when the camera actually snaps the photo. I was using the Android version on my Nexus 7.

neelin

It's a nice app, but I find it a little slow. I tried to set it up for family photos during the holidays, and I gave up on it for shooting kids. There seems to be a 1-2 sec delay between clicking the shutter in the app and when the camera actually snaps the photo. I was using the Android version on my Nexus 7.
+1
Why for simple remote the IR requires neither NFC or Wifi connection and just works.

R

D

Deleted member 7792

The new remote is quite incredible...

Good luck!
I agree. Works incredibly well on an iPad Mini. I'm looking forward to using it in landscape photography (tripod mounted).

Joe

jagsiva

It is sweet. Much better than the touch focus on a rear LCD for two reasons, 1. usually uncomfortable, and 2. Much bigger screen on an iPhone or iPad.

The other really cool feature is the focus magnify on a big screen!

Can't wait for this kind of stuff to trickle their way down to our MFDB's :)

kienchil

Just a heads up it will only shoot in x.fine jpg NOT RAW, at least in the current version of the app I have.

Rawfa

I've just update the app on the camera and now I can do everything manually :) Before all I could adjust was EV compensation.

Last edited:

jagsiva

Just a heads up it will only shoot in x.fine jpg NOT RAW, at least in the current version of the app I have.
Crap! I just looked at the files on the iPad and assumed it was only downloading the JPGs. Just went back and looked at the files in the camera and you are correct, all JPG fine. Not sure why they would do this, unless there additional overhead on the CPU somehow prevents RAW and JPG simultaneously when using WIFI. JPG would be needed either way as I doubt you'd want to transmit a full RAW file via WIFI.

This does put me back to square on :(

thomas

RAWs are stored on the SD card.
You have to set RAW & JPEG in the remote app of the camera (not in the actual camera menu for the image format).
I am using an iPhone ...