I played with the play memories software via iPhone and an ad-hoc wifi connection when I first got the camera. It looked quite limited. Basically just allowed for triggering, timer, and download.
Today I upgraded the remote app in my iPhone which has new features for the A7/R and also upgraded the Remote Application in the camera. This requires you to create an account with www.sony.net/pmca
The new remote is quite incredible:
1. The camera mode is obviously whatever is physically selected on the camera, so PASM
2. You can set A,S, WB, Timer
3. You can select quality of LV image
4. Few other options
6. The cherry - you can touch focus - Focus stacking for landscapes!
7. Not sure if supports zooming/magnify of the LV image, have not figured it out yet.
8. The ad-hoc wifi chews batteries, don't have any specific data
Not sure if this is common knowledge, but the talk of shutter vibrations, need for remotes etc. I thought this would be quite useful. I am just thrilled!!
BTW, on iPhone, you'll need to manually enter the adhoc WIFI code. With newer Android devices, you may have NFC, which means just tap the devices together and you're all set.