The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Vertical Grip

bensonga

Is anyone using the vertical grip with their A7/A7r? If so, how do you like it?

I ordered one today to use on my A7. I think it will be very useful when I'm hand holding the A7 with my larger Leica R lenses, the 135, 180 and 80-200 Elmarits.

I'm picking up the A7 with the 28-70 kit lens tomorrow. :D

Gary

Image from the digitalcamera.net review

Don Libby

Gary, one of my first thoughts was getting the grip but then I heard the A7 was supposed to be slightly larger than the NEX7 and I waited. Having both cameras I can attest the A7 is larger. I've tried it with various lens including a Canon 300 and felt comfortable without the need of the additional grip. I still like the idea of the grip as it doubles the battery prowler so I'm interested in hearing what others feel about it.

Don

ecsh

I have the grip and love it. Mainly because i use the Lae4 adapter and A mount lens. Works very well in this instance.

GrahamB

Bought the grip to use one lens, the "A" mount ZA 24/2 distagon. At 555g, it balances much better with the grip equipped a7r. For everything else, I'm sans grip (although I think the grip will come in handy for video).

I was disappointed Sony didn't include the multi-wheel on the grip. That feature appears on my Sony a77 and a900 grip, sold at the same price as the a7 grip.

Graham

iiiNelson

I have the grip on my A7r for the extra grip and weight since I think it's beneficial to have increased stability with 36MP. The A7 has no grip since it's more the "street shooter" for me between the two.

Knorp

Is anyone using the vertical grip with their A7/A7r? If so, how do you like it?

I ordered one today to use on my A7. I think it will be very useful when I'm hand holding the A7 with my larger Leica R lenses, the 135, 180 and 80-200 Elmarits.

I'm picking up the A7 with the 28-70 kit lens tomorrow. :D

Gary

Image from the digitalcamera.net review
Hi there Gary,

IMO the grip has one major caveat when holding the camera in landscape: the protruding shutter button of the grip, when switched-on, is easily depressed half-way by the palm of your hand and the more so with heavy lenses mounted.
You'll notice this as buttons, f.i. like C1 (magnify), become inoperable.
Very annoying ... but then again YMMV.

Happy shooting and kind regards.

bensonga

A7 with the 28-70 are in hand...and it feels good. :D

Still waiting for the Novoflex Leica R adapter and the vertical grip to arrive.

Hope to get out and take some photos with the 28-70 lens this weekend.

Gary

Hi,
Not really being a "stick in the mud" here but more of a note of balance. I found the grip build quality to be poor and too much plastic. The battery compartment door seems really cheap and the latch of the door won't last long in my opinion.
Robert

Michiel Schierbeek

Hi,
Not really being a "stick in the mud" here but more of a note of balance. I found the grip build quality to be poor and too much plastic. The battery compartment door seems really cheap and the latch of the door won't last long in my opinion.
Robert
I will use it as long as it lasts and that will probably be as long as this camera is en voque. No need for a stainless steel grip. To much weight :)
A little to expensive for what it is; yes.

GrahamB

Hi,
Robert
Build quality poor? In what respect?

The a7 grip is much lighter than my Sony DSLR grips, and that fact can lead one to assume a certain "cheapness". The grip is small, to fit a small camera.

The a7 grip exterior is metallic alloy. The battery door latch assembly seems to me to be very well constructed, with the latch designed to seal the compartment against moisture. The battery tray is the same design as the full size grips, and I can attest to their robustness.

I think the a7 grip, when compared with the full size Sony grips, offers less material for the same price. That said, I see nothing about the grip that warrants longevity concerns.

Having shot Sony DSLR's for the past 8 years, I haven't had one problem with the 4 bodies, 3 grips, 3 lenses, or 2 flashes manufactured by Sony I've purchased (all equipment still in service).

Graham

Taylor Sherman

So, I just realized that this would be kinda pointless for me because I carry my camera using a sling strap that connects to the tripod socket on the camera. It may be that holding the camera in portrait mode using the vertical grip, even with the strap coming out of the middle of it, is better than holding it that way with the normal grip. But I kinda doubt it, to the point where I'm not going to order one up just to find out.