The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Soft release for Sony RX1-R?

ramosa

All,

I'm not sure if I'll end up regularly using one or not, but I have been looking into getting a soft release for my newish RX1-R. From my testing with a Match Technical beep, as well as reading of various posts here and elsewhere, it seems that it's hard to find a soft release that well fits that RX1-R. (Oddly, it seems the RX1-R requires a slightly different size than most cameras, including its sibling, the RX1. Most normal soft releases--it seems--will not fit tight enough in the RX1-R.)

Has anyone had luck finding a soft release that well fits the RX1-R?

I had used a Match Technical beep on my Leica rangefinders--and liked its convex design.

Thanks,

R

losta

I had one on my RX1, the small convex version but it fell off when I was crossing a bridge on Burano in Venice a few months ago and I haven't replaced it. I did really like it better than the bare shutter release. I guess I haven't replaced it since I had been anticipating the a7r (wish it would take one).

wjlapier

My concern is that it will break off in the shutter release button if I tighten it down too much. Same soft release.

kai.e.g.

There's definitely something non-standard about the RX1/R shutter release screw threads. My soft release (Gariz) keeps falling out, too... and anecdotes around the web suggest that it's a fairly common occurrence with many different brands of soft release. These little bits of metal tend to cost so darn much, one doesn't really feel confident screwing them into a camera that seems hell-bent on spitting them out again.