The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

JLM L-plate for A7/R

jlm

Workshop Member
i am adding the new plate to my site today;
right now e-mail me:

i will be shipping end of this week

i can add a slot for a wrist strap on request
[email protected]

regarding the tripod test, maybe jack and Bob can chime in, but as I recall, the damping of the CF material improved the performance of that tripod (Gitso) compared to an aluminum and a wood, in that order

k-hawinkler

My RRS L-plate arrived yesterday. Now waiting for the Milich L-plate.
Judging from the images above there seems to be a design difference between the two.
Whereas the Milich L-plate is one solid piece, the RRS L-plate comes in two pieces, held together by the screw that attaches both components to the camera. It will be interesting to see how the two different L-plates cope with vibrations. Interesting.

larrylee

I built an aluminum "L" brackets for my NEX7, because of it's super weak tripod mount. I would suggest that if you use a pad to cushion the camera, that it be very thin so the camera has no wiggle room at all. I started with thin rubber between the camera and mount ,but there was still wiggle, putting a great strain on their crappy mount. I ended up using tape. The NEX7 mount will not hold much more the a small light lens. It cost me $200 and three weeks, after a Sony 28-200 broke the mount. The "L" bracket fixed the problem. Now I will make one for my a7r, and not take a chance on their weak engineered mount: Larry

jlm

Workshop Member
looking over the L-plate with battery grip, i have a question:

typically i make my L-plates so the camera lens can be centered over the L-plate in portrait mode, however, the extra thickness of the battery grip means the L-plate would need to be another 2" longer, a total or 4-1/2" tall, all supported from the bottom plate. if i used a typical 2-1/2" L-plate, the camera would be better supported, the overall bracket would be tidier in size, but the lens center would be 2" off the center of the plate.

what do you think?

KiboOst

Just reading this message, and I'm desperately in need of A7R+Grip L Plate.
Actually, I use A7R with metabones adapter and Canon lenses, and can't mount the vertical grip without losing ability to clamp adapter foot. (see this blog post)

What I dream of is an 'always mounted' L bracket on vertical grip, not ruining handling, and without any part to slide or move or unscrew/screw to open battery door or slide connections doors. I don't want to use a screw key each time I need to get battery out etc. The side part of the L could even be on another plane (toward the lens) to free grip battery door (my RRS 1DsII L-bracket is like this and never bother me). Not being perfectly centered between portrait and landscape isn't a problem too.
But having to screw and slide would be a definitive no-no.
Now, can't wait to see your design. I was about to design one in 3D and get it machined, but not much time right now.

jfzander

Received this mail today:

Update for Really Right Stuff Support Case #3417 - "L-Plate for A7r with Battery grip."

We are in the process of researching and designing a custom plate for use with the added battery grip on the Sony A7/A7R. If we decide to make a custom plate for use with the added grip, you will see such an announcement made on our website homepage as well as on our company Facebook page, and in our monthly newsletter.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Erik
Really Right Stuff, LLC

jlm

Workshop Member
my design is complete and will get machined this week. i decided to keep the L-plate end at 2-1/2" above base of grip. should a taller plate be required, it could be retrofitted.

Sony has chosen to make a huge battery door in the grip, and there is no practical way to allow battery access with the grip plate installed that I can come up with without compromising strength or add a huge offset (ruining handling). it is not such a big deal to use an allen key, loosen the plate from the grip, rotate it out of the way and change the batteries. since there are two batteries, the frequency of change will be longer anyway.

jm

jlm

Workshop Member
hmm...earlier response disappeared

unlike the Canon, the sony uses a hinged battery door and the swing is problematic

i will look into a tool-less fastener

KiboOst

What I think frustrating on your 'without grip' version is that you can't let it slided. I'm 90% of time on tripod with connected cables, so I would let it always slided. But due to the part under the door, I couldn't do that. I would have cut this part to use it ;-)

jlm

Workshop Member
???
my L-plate versions CAN slide; the bolt opening is a slot allowing enough movement so you can open the doors, attach your cables and still fit on the tripod in portrait mode. difference between mine and RRS is mine is one piece.

that concept does not work with the grip version because of size of the battery door, but the cables are still accessible

KiboOst

Of course yours can slide, what I want to say is you can't let it always slided for cable doors access, as it block battery door.
I'm not saying this one is better, this one is badly designed etc, don't get me wrong. Just putting some ideas about designing the best one. And yes you are entirely right, the sony vertical grip door design is very bad regarding L bracket fitting.

Also, are you confident enough in vertical grip screw fixation to handle let's say body+grip+metabones+24-70 2.8L II ? Of course with a 70-200, it will be mounted on tripod collar, but dunno if grip screw and sony lens mount are as robust as Nikon/Canon DSLRs ?

And on a curious part, how do you design it ? Do you use some 3D tools with a 3D model of A7R+grip ?