The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

JLM L-plate for A7/R

jlm

Workshop Member
i measure the camera shapes using calipers and micrometers and a coordinate measuring machine; drawings are done in 2-d Autocad (usually going through several iterations), then CNC machining programs generated. The profiles and interior cutouts are done from plate on the CNC waterjet, then the exterior machining and detailing done on a vertical CNC mill (three or more different tools used)

all of my bases rely on some sort of mechanical stop (in addition to the screw) so the base will not rotate. for the sony with vertical grip, i am using the series of grooves in the rubber base, making matching ridges in my baseplate. probably the weakest point will be whatever secures the metal tripod threads into the plastic of the grip itself.

i agree, the slid-over L-plate grip does block the battery access and i accepted that as a trade off for overall simplicity. I did consider leaving the end open so as to not block the battery, and could alwasy make this change should interest warrant it.

KiboOst

Thanks for your time for these explainations. I always love to know and understand how things are done. Can't wait to see your design. Very good idea to match ridges also. Hope the precision tolerance on this part body to body won't be problem. But I'm sure you have the answer lol.

jlm

Workshop Member
machining is done on first one, will anodize and post a pic tomorrow.

expect to have the first production run ready by friday this week

jlm

Workshop Member
L-Plate for grip is done.

note cute little captive screw with captive, sliding T-bar, no wrench needed

jlm

Workshop Member
mounted; port doors can open, but plate needs to be loosened and rotated to get to battery. L part is intentionally low to not cover ports and to limit overhang

jlm

Workshop Member
details:
CNC machined from 6061 aluminum, finely finished and black anodized. small ribs fit in grooves in rubber base of grip act as rotation stops. fits Arca style and RRS quick clamps. easy on the hands

supplied as shown but also with allen key and button head screw supplied

e-mail me, first production run is ready to ship friday, priced at $140

[email protected]

Thomas Fallon

How might one center the lens over the tripod in the vertical position? I was hoping to be the first customer on this. Looks useless to me.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Best solution yet. Going to have to get one. That l bracket for the Sony 4 adapter from RRS is not working very well as you can't get your fingers to release button to take just the lens off. Here it's totally out of the way.

Guy Mancuso

mounted; port doors can open, but plate needs to be loosened and rotated to get to battery. L part is intentionally low to not cover ports and to limit overhang

How might one center the lens over the tripod in the vertical position? I was hoping to be the first customer on this. Looks useless to me.
For vertical panos you could use a focusing rail and center it

jlm

Workshop Member
it would require a 4" long L-plate to center the lens in portrait mode and the cantilever would be extreme, compromising the support
what this solution offers is the ability to quickly change mounts from portrait to landscape and they are quick clamp compatible; hardly useless.

i could obviously make a 4" long L-plate if you really need that.

these things are contraptions to some extent, and my way of thinking tries to minimize and simplify and still maintain the functionality

Guy Mancuso

For me this would work nice on a monopod with long glass like the Minolta 200, Sony 135 which neither have a lens foot

jlm

Workshop Member
for the hell of it, am making a 4" long L-plate so the lens can be centered, which of course begs the question of whether the base should also slide over, like the A7 L-plate

Guy Mancuso

Might be nice to have the option John. Myself I would just use my focusing rail with clamp on it than just center camera over the pivot for a vertical pano. I still like your short rail so maybe give buyer the option for long or short. I'll take the short one myself. I'll order next week

KiboOst

I'm really not fan of having to unscrew / rescrew each time to get batteries out. It may finish by ruin the tripod socket screw on the grip :/
For me such accessorie is 'fix anf forget".

dchew

John,
For the 4" long version, could ther be a small support piece at the top that goes over to meet the camera near the strap lug? That would help the cantilever. Could have a locating pin/bump and a removable screw.

Dave