The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

JLM L-plate for A7/R

jlm

Workshop Member
i have almost finished my prototype L-plate for the Sony, expect to have it just about ready tomorrow.

what it will offer:
1. access to battery compartment
2. arca style grooves on base and end for landscape and portrait use with index lines for lens center
3. opening in L-plate end so the hatch doors are un-obstructed
4. captive screw, allen key style
5. as much articulation of LCD retained as possible (some reduction in the face-down position only)
6. black anodized and finely machined

a few things i could still add and could use feedback on:
a pin for using a wrist strap?
a thin "cushion" between the camera base and the plate (sort of a shock dampener)?
so far the design could let the entire base slide toward the L-plate to allow cords to clear if the camera is actually mounted on the L-plate. i don't really like this, but want your feedback.

a few points for discussion:
with an L-plate, accessing the ports is a PIA on all these cameras. typically the user wants to operate the remote shutter release plugged into the micro-usb port, but the connector interferes not so much with the L-plate, but with the actual arca clamp plate in portrait mode. with the wifi and app, you can run the remote with your smartphone; seems like a better solution than hard wiring?
there have been a few remarks about the benefit of weight to try and control vibration, but typically users want these things light. comments?

www.milich.com

dchew

John,
One of the annoying things about this camera is the lack of external charger. I am buying one if it is ever in stock, but many will not. Will the micro USB connector plug in without removing the plate? I mean with the camera on the table, not on the tripod. It would be a pain for people to remove the plate whenever a battery needs charged.

I would use the app to trigger, not the connector, but I don't do that very often; others may feel differently. Like you I'm not thrilled about a big gap between the L and the port side of the camera.

I have a wrist strap on mine, and the idea of mounting that on the bottom grip side is attractive.

Dave

jlm

Workshop Member
thx;
yes, there is port access when sitting in landscape orientation. the crds that come with the camera are straight connectors, which means the cord/connector itself will get in the way of the clamping plate. i am researching a right angle micro-USB connector that would make a big difference.

i put a wrist strap pin on the OMD and Fuji grips, i'll see about this for the A7. the pins are removable, so easy to thread on the strap

vjbelle

Dave,

Which external charger are you waiting for? I ordered the Wasabi external charger and two batteries from Amazon for all of $32.00. Works like a charm.....

Victor

Jeff Kott

Jim,

This is timely as I need to get an L bracket for my A7r. I'm not sure if this is an appropriate question, but do you feel comfortable commenting on the differences/advantages as you see them in your design compared to other L brackets (like RRS in particular)?

As far as your request for comments on weight, especially for this kit, I would prefer that all components be as light as possible. That's one of the major advantages of an A7/r kit. I understand that some people feel a heavier L bracket may add mass and dampen shutter shock, but I feel there are better alternatives vs. making the L bracket unnecessarily heavy.

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
well, this one is made by a forum member in Brooklyn ;)

it is a toss-up on weight. my personal opinion is that the size and weight of the A7/R is one of the advantages, so making the L-plate heavy is a mistake. of course the shutter vibration school seems to want more mass.

i am making this out of aluminum, it has to be from 1/2" thick material to space the base clamp far enough so the LCD can articulate. I am also hollowing out the underside a bit and putting in a hole for the battery access.
possibly can offer it in light and heavy versions.

RRS has incorporated a sliding L-plate section, intended to give better cord access in portrait mode. not my cup of tea: two parts, lots of movement, etc. i am allowing the entire one piece base to slide to give more cord access. every design has it's compromises.

D

Deleted member 7792

One of the annoying things about this camera is the lack of external charger. I am buying one if it is ever in stock, but many will not.
Dave, I bought this charger from Amazon. It was delivered last week. There's also an earlier model (BC VW1) for Sony W-series batteries that's available at Best Buy.

Joe

D

Deleted member 7792

i have almost finished my prototype L-plate for the Sony, expect to have it just about ready tomorrow.

what it will offer:
1. access to battery compartment
2. arca style grooves on base and end for landscape and portrait use with index lines for lens center
3. opening in L-plate end so the hatch doors are un-obstructed
4. captive screw, allen key style
5. as much articulation of LCD retained as possible (some reduction in the face-down position only)
6. black anodized and finely machined
Sounds good. Count me in. That's all I need.

a few things i could still add and could use feedback on:
a pin for using a wrist strap?
a thin "cushion" between the camera base and the plate (sort of a shock dampener)?
so far the design could let the entire base slide toward the L-plate to allow cords to clear if the camera is actually mounted on the L-plate. i don't really like this, but want your feedback.
No pin. No cushion. Don't need a sliding arrangement because I don't use cords.

a few points for discussion:
with an L-plate, accessing the ports is a PIA on all these cameras. typically the user wants to operate the remote shutter release plugged into the micro-usb port, but the connector interferes not so much with the L-plate, but with the actual arca clamp plate in portrait mode. with the wifi and app, you can run the remote with your smartphone; seems like a better solution than hard wiring?
there have been a few remarks about the benefit of weight to try and control vibration, but typically users want these things light. comments?

JLM Milich Advanced Camera Parts
I use the Sony app for remote release, hence access to the ports are not high on my wish list. And I'd like the weight to be light, complementing the compact camera+lens rather than adding a drag.

Just my 2 cents.

Having seen your work (iPhone holder), I have every confidence that this will be first class. :thumbs:

Joe

dchew

John,
The other think I've been wondering about is creating an accessory that provides a solid connection between camera, lens foot and/or adapter foot. For example, an RRS focusing rail underneath the camera that is attached under the L-bracket, under the Metabones/Novoflex, and under a lens foot.

This is probably a crazy matrix of thicknesses, but I can think of a few simple options: Double wedge, double stepped wedge in mm increments, a stack of "shims" that nested together in 1,2,5... mm increments a-la alpa shim kits. I'm sure you have other approaches. But it would be nice to be able to secure the camera to a mounting point when the camera base plate is not what is attached to the tripod.

Dave

Oh and thanks Joe! Actually I ordered the one Victor recommended; even with two batteries it was only $33 or something like that from Amazon.

GrahamB

RRS has incorporated a sliding L-plate section, intended to give better cord access in portrait mode. not my cup of tea: two parts, lots of movement, etc. i am allowing the entire one piece base to slide to give more cord access. every design has it's compromises.
I don't have the RRS a7 L plate in hand, but I do have the 2 piece RRS L plate for the Sony a77. The plate "leg" doesn't slide. There's 2 positions, necessary for the double column port doors on the camera body. One chooses which position, front or back, and the position is secured by a mortise/tenon and screw. In practice, it seems as secure as my other one piece RRS L plates. The RRS a7 plate looks to have the same mortise/tenon/screw arrangement.

I don't intend any offense, but I'm curios how you expect to compete with RRS? Personally, even with a serious price reduction, say you sell your plate for $75, versus the RRS plate for $175, I'd still go for the RRS plate. If I wanted to save money, I'd go with a generic plate, which can be acquired for $39 Amazon.com: Desmond L Plate DAL-1 Quick Release Arca Swiss Compatible for Camera / Tripod Head: Camera & Photo.

I wish you the best of luck with your idea, but I hope you're fully investigating your market before expending too much capital or effort.

Graham

Edit: On further examination, I see the RRS a7 plate does have a sliding leg. It appears to be well designed against twist, as it slides in the confines of the front and back bottom plate lip.

algrove

Graham

I cannot agree with your opinion of getting the RRS L bracket which comes in 2 pieces. This will no doubt defeat its purpose for precision requirements. As if shutter vibration is not enough and now you attach a 2 piece L bracket. What were they thinking?

The RRS one piece L bracket and hand grip for the RX-1 is well made and very sturdy.

D

Deleted member 7792

The RRS one piece L bracket and hand grip for the RX-1 is well made and very sturdy.
The RRS BRX-1 for the Sony RX-1 is actually composed of three pieces, held together will Allen screws:

It is "well made and very sturdy" as you described. I have one.

Joe

nikonf

Please count me in.
I would, however, prefer a heavier version after reading the excellent article by Joseph Holmes.
If I am going to use the L Plate on a Tripod head, I want more mass as it will not matter to me for the other instances when I am hand holding the camera.
Many thanks for your efforts!
Mike

it is a toss-up on weight. my personal opinion is that the size and weight of the A7/R is one of the advantages, so making the L-plate heavy is a mistake. of course the shutter vibration school seems to want more mass.

i am making this out of aluminum, it has to be from 1/2" thick material to space the base clamp far enough so the LCD can articulate. I am also hollowing out the underside a bit and putting in a hole for the battery access.
possibly can offer it in light and heavy versions.

GrahamB

Graham

I cannot agree with your opinion of getting the RRS L bracket which comes in 2 pieces. This will no doubt defeat its purpose for precision requirements. As if shutter vibration is not enough and now you attach a 2 piece L bracket. What were they thinking?

I can't comment on it's efficacy. I don't own the RRS a7 bracket, or an E mount lens that would make the dedicated L plate useful. I'm using the generic bracket I linked to in my first post to this thread mounted on the Sony LA-EA3 adapter which I'm using now with my a7r for most of my lenses.

The 2 piece bracket I own for the Sony a77, after many images, has proven as steady as RRS one piece bracket. Unless you have first hand examples that show differently, I'm inclined to believe the RRS a7 L bracket will give similar steady results.

Graham

By the way, I posted several images from my tests with lenses out to 400mm (on the shutter vibration thread #209) that show that "shutter vibration" is nothing to be concerned about.

jlm

Workshop Member
since RRS is shipping, i want to bring this back to the forefront. Their product seems up to the RRS standards, but in my opinion it can be addressed differently. some say tomato, some say tomahto

prototype L-plate is done and the production programming completed, it will be black anodized today and i will post pictures/pricing.

for what it is worth, these are entirely made in my shop in Brooklyn: CNC waterjet, CNC machining, vibratory finishing and anodizing. material is 6061 aluminum. and, of course, I am a Sony A7r owner/user.