The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Difference in adapters for M lenses

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I'm one of those (many, I suspect) considering the a7/a7r for my ample collection of Leica M lenses. (I have read and accept some of the wide-angle limitations but as I rarely go wider than 35 mm, I'm not too concerned.)

But I'm puzzled by the adapters available. The Metabones is $90, the Novoflex is $270, three times more expensive.

What's the diff? Neither has any optical elements, so why such a wide disparity in price?

Recommendations received with gratitude!

Bill

iiiNelson

I believe the Novoflex is made in Europe. I'm sure the higher price has a lot to do with higher costs to produce. Across the Internet I rarely hear of anyone complaining of QC with Novoflex, Voigtlander, or Metabones.

Those are the 3 brands I would go with when it comes to my money (I own two Voigtlander VM-E adapters.) Some people like the less expensive options and have had success with them. I'm kind of impatient to wait on stuff to be shipped from Hong Kong and the expedited shipping options lead me to the more expensive adapters anyway so that's what I chose for more peace of mind.

yatlee

A friend of mine tested quite a few adaptors when he bought the NEX-7 (not A7). It includes, novoflex, voigtlander, metabone and few other cheaper options. He used a flash light and the live view screen to examine whether there are any light leaking. His conclusion was only novoflex passed his test. From that point on, I only buy novoflex adaptor.

Godfrey

The difference is precision manufacture. I have a Metabones M to mFT ... Only two of my ten M-mount lenses latch properly on it.

The Novoflex I bought to replace it is a perfect fit, and the Rayquals I use to adapt Nikkor lenses are also a perfect fit. I suspect the same is true of Voightlander.

mark1958

I have a Voigtlander adapter for Leica M and Metabones for Nikon lenses. I find they both work well. In the past I have used Fotodiox (their professional line) for canon or nikon to Micro4/3 with variable results. All i can say is both adapters work well for the Sony E mount. I have used the M 16-18-21 and M 90/2.8 with very impressive results. The 28-35-50 49mm version has been less favorable. Fringing and not the best corners but I do not believe it is due to a faulty adapter.

GrahamB

My Metabones M to E is perfect, very tight fit, to the point it required 10-15 mount changes to loosen up a bit. I find the machining very good.

I suggest you make your own determination. Order the Metabones from a vendor you who accepts returns.

Graham

jaree

I have used the $30 Fotodiox adapter on my Nex-7 and $270 Novoflex on A7. No issues with any of them. I do find the Fotodiox a bit tight when mounting the lens, thus requiring a bit more force than I would like to - nothing too bad though. Novoflex has the perfect balance of fit - takes the right amount of pressure to fit the lens.

-- Eeraj

iiiNelson

Yeah no issue with either of my Voigtlander adapters. I have used it with my Leica, Zeiss, and Voigtlander lenses. All focus fine and to infinity (or a little past.)

Jaclarkaus

I tried the FOTGA adapters from eBay for both M and R to NEX and none fitted.

Rainbow Imaging sell Fotasy Chinese ones and they work (got 2). I also bought Voightlander M to Nex and you can see why the charge more! By far the best finish.

Got the Metabones EOS adapter as part of the sony deal, and it was very tight and grinding when new, but seemed to bed in

CharlesK

I have two Metabones and two Novoflex adapters. The Metabone adapters are 0.15mm thicker and are very close to infinity on a number of lenses, and a few where it stops just short of infinity. The tolerances for mounting M lenses seem tighter IMO. The Novoflex adapters are excellent, and being 0.15mm thinner will allow for focus just past infinity. Both are excellent!

Chris C

Hi - Here's a little more general information kindly provided by Makten in answer to an enquiry :

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/49391-fun-a7-7r-35.html

Scroll down to post 1714.

Specifically, I had enquired about the Novoflex Olympus OM to Sony mount, but Martin's appraisal should be useful for assessing their M fit adapter too. If I switch to Sony; I'll use Novoflex Olympus OM, and Novoflex Leica M fit.

………………. Chris

ohnri

I used to have a Novoflex M to E adapter that I used with a NEX 5N. It was excellent and I had no complaints.

I currently use a Metabones M to E adapter with my A7. It is excellent and I have no complaints.

If I were to buy another M to E adapter I would not hesitate to buy either of these brands. Most likely I would base my choice on price.

-Bill

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Many thanks everyone for your informative responses. I'm now a lot wiser. (Though probably no smarter!).

I'm still tossing up whether to go for the a7 or a7r. As soon as I decide I'll go try some adaptors.

Again, thank y'all

Bill

Luvwine

I have several adapters. I had two Metabones and on both, I could not achieve infinity focus wide open with either my CV 35 1.2 or my 50 Lux asph. My 90/2Cron Apo was fine with them, however. I returned one if them. The cheap Fotodiox a friend loaned to me works fine tho allows focus past infinity on all lenses. I like the Hawks helicoid adapter v. 3 as it allows close focusing and for the adjustment of infinity stop. I have heard great things about the Voigtlander helicoid, except I think it lacks the ability to adjust infinity stop. It us also pricey compared to the Hawks but may be better built (I cannot judge).

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Well, I've read everything related to the a7r on this Forum and several others; this has been the most helpful. I've decided I'm not overly concerned with the shutter vibration issue because I'm going to use the camera with my M lenses - primarily the 35 and 50 Lux and the 75 Cron - in other words, no long lenses. (I do have the 135 Apo which of course I'll try).

This will not be a tripod-use camera - I have MF for that. Rather I expect to use it with high shutter speeds (no IS anyway) and wide apertures and medium high ISO's.

I'll report back in a week or so when it's been delivered. Incidentally, it's a bit of a bargain in Canada - Sony sells for the same price in $CDN as B&H do in $US - yet the $CDN is only worth 93c US.

iiiNelson

Well, I've read everything related to the a7r on this Forum and several others; this has been the most helpful. I've decided I'm not overly concerned with the shutter vibration issue because I'm going to use the camera with my M lenses - primarily the 35 and 50 Lux and the 75 Cron - in other words, no long lenses. (I do have the 135 Apo which of course I'll try).

This will not be a tripod-use camera - I have MF for that. Rather I expect to use it with high shutter speeds (no IS anyway) and wide apertures and medium high ISO's.

I'll report back in a week or so when it's been delivered. Incidentally, it's a bit of a bargain in Canada - Sony sells for the same price in $CDN as B&H do in $US - yet the $CDN is only worth 93c US.
Depending on your kit I'd say in general the A7 works slightly better with M mount lenses than the A7r... It's all lens dependent on what's the best choice for you though.

philber

Bill, 2 of the 3 lenses you own should give you no trouble with A7R, the 35 and the 75. But do not expect "perfect" 'Lux 50 performance. You will need to stop down to f:8.0 to have really sharp corners at infinity. So, if that matters to you, go for A7, which is less problematic in that department.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Thanks, Philber. As it so happens, for casual shooting I usually leave the 35 Lux on the camera and have the 75 Cron in my pocket!

I'm not expecting to use the 21 mm or the 28 mm without using Capture One's LCC function - if I use them at all. Probably stay with the M9 for wide angle work.