The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Voigtlander 75mm Color Heliar on Sony Full Frame

Dale Allyn

Of course it greatly depends on the camera it's being used on but the two 75mm VC lenses render and perform quite differently. Although not exactly the same, it's a bit like the rendering and performance differences of the Leica 75mm Lux f1.4 vs. the Cron 75mm f2.0 lenses.

The faster lenses render a gentler image wide open and when stopped down a bit. Ideal for portrait or other work requiring a more forgiving rendition.Both slower lenses are for the most part extremely sharp near or at wide open, where the focus is more on sharpness. Of course these are generalities.

Dave (D&A)
Hi Dave,

Thanks. You've nicely summed up precisely how I have distilled all of the various online scavenging I've done to this point. The next move is to try them.

D&A

Hi Dave,

Thanks. You've nicely summed up precisely how I have distilled all of the various online scavenging I've done to this point. The next move is to try them.
Completely agree Dale! How all four of these lenses perform is generally know from their use on a Leica digital M body and with film. How they do on other bodies such as the Sony may or may not be different. In fact because of the superb acuity and sharpness of the Sony's, both fast 75mm lenses may be far sharper when used wide open on the Sony's they are on the Leica. Same goes for other optical charateristic. It will be fun to hear of everyone's observations.

Dave (D&A)

Dale Allyn

Yes, Dave. I'll be exploring this/these on my "lowly" Fuji X-E2, which I would suspect is less demanding than the Sony sensor. The crop factor can work to advantage for my use (~113mm equiv), but I'm also forfeiting some DoF control for subject isolation, hence my reservations about the slower lens.

bensonga

Of course it greatly depends on the camera it's being used on but the two 75mm VC lenses render and perform quite differently. Although not exactly the same, it's a bit like the rendering and performance differences of the Leica 75mm Lux f1.4 vs. the Cron 75mm f2.0 lenses.

The faster lenses render a gentler image wide open and when stopped down a bit. Ideal for portrait or other work requiring a more forgiving rendition.Both slower lenses are for the most part extremely sharp near or at wide open, where the focus is more on sharpness. Of course these are generalities.

Dave (D&A)
Thanks for the very helpful comments Dave.....now I may have to look for a used 75/2.5 and try it out for myself! :eek:

Looking forward to seeing some of your images with it Dale.

I had a feeling that buying the M to Sony E and M to Fuji X lens adapters was going to be a costly lead in to a whole new range of lenses. :facesmack:

Gary

scho

Sorry, this adapter won't automatically detect the aperture set on the lens. It only embeds the aperture value set on the camera into the EXIF data.
Still very useful for getting shooting aperture into exif. Just have to remember to set aperture on both the lens and camera. Working very nicely with my little M-Rokkors on the A7R. Do you have any plans to make a similar adapter for Leica R mount lenses?

scho

I had the 75mm f/2.5 CV in LTM mount, but sold it a couple of years ago. Worked well with my RF cameras and mirror less cams as well so I decided to replace it for my A7R. Found a nice used SL version of the lens in Nikon mount on ebay and picked up the lens and a new bayonet lens hood from CQ (surprised that they still stocked them).

Last edited:

Dale Allyn

Hey, Carl, my LTM version arrived yesterday. The adapter should be here today. I'm looking forward to trying in on my X-E2 when I get a bit of time. Glad to hear you liked it. Hopefully it will do what I need until Fuji fill the gap.

scho

Hey, Carl, my LTM version arrived yesterday. The adapter should be here today. I'm looking forward to trying in on my X-E2 when I get a bit of time. Glad to hear you liked it. Hopefully it will do what I need until Fuji fill the gap.
Hope it works for you on the X-E2. A nice little lens.

Dale Allyn

Hope it works for you on the X-E2. A nice little lens.
Just back home and the adapter arrived while I was out. Nice fit and the function walking around the house is good so far. I'll try to get out tomorrow a little and shoot in daylight with it. Balance is quite good with the heft of the Voigtlander. Focus peaking is working great. I'm happy so far, but look forward to seeing the character of the lens on the X-E2 in the coming days.

bensonga

The pics Carl posted above all look a bit soft to me, but I'm assuming the originals are sharp. I look forward to seeing more and larger examples from the 75/2.5....both on the A7/A7r and Fuji. :)

Gary

mark1958

I have both the 75 1.8 and 2.5 to test. I will try to do this weekend and do comparisons. They are pretty similar in terms of sharpness from 2.8 up.

scho

The pics Carl posted above all look a bit soft to me, but I'm assuming the originals are sharp. I look forward to seeing more and larger examples from the 75/2.5....both on the A7/A7r and Fuji. :)

Gary
Hi Gary, The originals are quite sharp. The images you see above are half size (except for the first cell phone image), further reduced by pbase. Click twice to get back to the half size.

bensonga

Hi Gary, The originals are quite sharp. The images you see above are half size (except for the first cell phone image), further reduced by pbase. Click twice to get back to the half size.
Oh yes....MUCH sharper when I clicked and saw the larger images! Can't believe I didn't think to try that..... :eek:

Gary

scho

Oh yes....MUCH sharper when I clicked and saw the larger images! Can't believe I didn't think to try that..... :eek:

Gary
Thanks Gary. A very nice light weight lens that probably would work equally well on a Nikon D800(e). There was supposed to be a new 1.8 SL version also, but it never materialized.

jlm

Workshop Member
how does that image zoom work? some images will display the hand when rolling over, when clicked you can then zoom in a huge amount. but not all. what is the trick to post zoomables?

scho

how does that image zoom work? some images will display the hand when rolling over, when clicked you can then zoom in a huge amount. but not all. what is the trick to post zoomables?
Hi John,
I do it this way, but may be an easier route to same result.
First create a picture link using the picture icon and enter a link to your small picture. Select the resulting line of text and click the chain icon for a url link and enter your link for the larger image. Looks like this without brackets to break the links.

URL="http://www.pbase.com/scho/image/154314872/original.jpg"IMGhttp://www.pbase.com/scho/image/154314872/large.jpg/IMG/URL