The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Need input on A7 option.

BSEH

I have pretty good track of what function my A7R is going to have. But need a camera for more walk around / casual shooting. As well as a camera that can be used in situations where robustness and speed is an issue. For example, a shoot with skaters/motorcross e.g.. I am a little unsure about the A7 is fast enough - in particular with regard to response and AF. And in bad weather Im not sure the weather-sealing is that good on the A7(r) - FPS is not that big a issue.

Any A7 user with a input on this ?

GrahamB

The a7(r) isn't a sports camera. the best autofocus lenses are native E mount, and there's few (3) full frame available now.

I love my a7r, but I'm shooing all manual focus (or autofocus lenses used in MF mode). I suggest you look at any of the APS or MFT cameras from Nikon, Canon, Sony, Olympus or Panasonic. The Olympus OMD-EM1 is the camera of the year choice from several web pundits. Best New Camera of 2013

Graham

jonoslack

Thanks for your time.

Like also to get input from A7 owners or testers...
HI There
I've had both - I really didn't get on with the A7r, but then I didn't have the native lenses to go with it.

I checked out the A7 with the dogs haring around the beach yesterday, and (rather like the better µ43 cameras) tracking isn't that great, but the AF is pretty fast if you mash the shutter. I'd certainly expect to do well in a skate park with it (as I say, not tracking but mashing).

Build quality seems pretty good to me - it says it's weather sealed, and I've had it out in a short rain shower without any issues. I don't think the build is as good as the Olympus E-M1 . . . but then what is?

All the best

turtle

If you need great tracking, you are probably better off with an EM-1, or a decent DSLR, but the somewhat conflicting interests/needs you have means there will likey be some compromise somewhere. I'd suggest thinking about the key requirements and where you can give a little up.

I have the A7 and the A7R and think they are absolutely fantastic, but then I have a 5D III for when things move quickly. Their IQ is simply breathtaking IMO, the interface is dead easy to use and the operation fairly intuitive.

If you are prepared to compromise a little on the tracking (I've not really tested that bit yet, but it will be nowhere near the 5D III), I'd recommend the stock A7. Unless you are printing v large prints (I do), then up to around 30" there will be little to nothing in it between the A7 and R version. Its the out and our bargain of the two models, with quieter shutter, better flash sync, electronic first curtain, lower price....

For general walk around work, with an emphasis on 'scenics' rather than 'action', I think the A7/R cameras are on the top of the pile. If you intend to print a more moderate sizes, you'll likely not see much of an IQ improvement over the EM-1, but with large prints and at very high ISO the A7 series sensors are stunning. I'm using mine for travel/walkabout stuff and where I encounter action I will work around it (on those rare occasions) because, to me, being able to produce great prints at 30-50" is much more important.

Then there is the issue of lenses. M43 has many more options, for long and fast lenses with great AF. You wont get that with the Sony right now, but you get the big fat sensro in a smaller and lighter package than the Em-1. Take your pick!

If you are happy to do a little zone focusing and anticipation, rather than tracking using fast long lenses, I am sure the A7 will be fine.

I've not tested the weather sealing out yet and have not heard any comments either way really.

BSEH

Thanks Jonoslack - Yah I'd se your dog pictures and kinda good test in this matter.
Is there a significant difference between A7 and A7r In focus peed.. shutter lag ?

BSEH

Thanks Turtle.. I have the A7R and it replace my D800 in many ways. Studio / tripod work..

Keeping me inside the Sony E mount world would be best solution, just have to see what compromise I'll have to do. The shortness of lenses don't disturb my sleeps, I prefer to work with 2-3 lenses, And right now i feel that the 55 1.8 is gonna be glued to my body(s) and never come of.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
It's actually faster than you think . With the A mount 70-200 with Sony adapter it's keeping pace with runway pretty well just need to turn off review and continuous focus works well. I'll go over this more when I'm done here shooting. But I already clocked 5k I'm images on the A7

jonoslack

It's actually faster than you think . With the A mount 70-200 with Sony adapter it's keeping pace with runway pretty well just need to turn off review and continuous focus works well. I'll go over this more when I'm done here shooting. But I already clocked 5k I'm images on the A7
Hi Guy
. . . . . which have you used most, the A7 or A7r - and what's the verdict?

all the best

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
So far more the A7 for this runway stuff. Next week for the workshop I'll go to the A7r. So far I am liking the switch, AF is not a D4 but it's pretty good. You just need to know what it can do and not do.

BSEH

Thanks - look forward to this, but sound like I'll give it a chance.