The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Finder/ Monitor behavior on A7r annoying!

jpaulmoore

I have just started testing my A7r in the field and I am finding a most annoying behavior that I hope there is a workaround for. When I zoom in on an image to check for sharpness and try to examine with a loupe, the LCD goes black. I know this is set at auto in my settings but my only option seems to be auto or leave one or the other on. Is there a workaround to be able to leave the LCD on? How else would I be able to check for critical focus?
Thanks,
J. Paul

vjbelle

I have found the evf when magnified to be the best method for checking focus The LCD goes black because the camera is auto sensing and resorts to evf mode when your face gets close to the camera.

Victor

k-hawinkler

Thanks for your replies! I guess I will use the magnified EVF and see how that works for me.
J. Paul
Thanks. That's what I do.
And the diopter adjustment works great so I can shoot without glasses.
I also like the two magnifications up to 14.4x.

hcubell

I have essentially the same problem when I want to use a loupe on the LCD to examine the magnified Live View. The screen goes black. That should be possible, but I have not figured out how to do it.

mjm6

You can program one of the custom buttons to turn on the back screen as the primary screen I believe...

I haven't tried that, but that approach should work.

Leave it in Auto mode until you want to do that, then hit the custom button and use the loupe.

Try that and see if it works.

---Michael

hcubell

You can program one of the custom buttons to turn on the back screen as the primary screen I believe...

I haven't tried that, but that approach should work.

Leave it in Auto mode until you want to do that, then hit the custom button and use the loupe.

Try that and see if it works.

---Michael
Thank you. I will try that.