The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WHOOHOOO! Naked Sensor!

mjm6

I don't know if it will happen, but it would be great to see them do it. I would be very interested, as I am primarily a B&W shooter.

---Michael

jagsiva

I'm hoping it is a full-spectrum filter, as in they don't fitter for UV or IR or anything, and we can use on-lens filters. Similar to the IQ260 Achro.

Given the EVF and on sensor focussing, the typical issues of IR focussing will not be an issue. We will see. Sony has shown balls before with the RX1 and even more so with the RX1R..

Shashin

The impact on resolution with a Bayer pattern is insignificant. The real advantage to a monochrome sensor is sensitivity.

Taylor Sherman

It could easily be purely psychological or just random, but I've seen some amazing tonal gradations from Leica MM shots that I've not seen from color cameras and B&W conversions. I also certainly don't see it in every shot with that camera, just a few.

jagsiva

The impact on resolution with a Bayer pattern is insignificant. The real advantage to a monochrome sensor is sensitivity.
Yes, the bayerless sensor is more sensitive, and the noise is more pleasant than the typical colour noise seen in regular sensors.

Having said that, there is a noticeable difference in resolution and tonality, handling of specular highlights. But the resolution difference is certainly not what I would call insignificant.

The 60MP IQ260 Achromatic I had for a while resolved noticeably more than my 80MP IQ180. Not a huge difference, but noticeable, and this with the IQ180 having 33% more pixels. Of course, the other advantages hold as well.

Last edited:

bensonga

The MM is the only Leica digital rangefinder I have ever considered buying and it was just too pricey for me. If Sony does bring a monochrome FF camera to market, I'll be in line to buy one. I really hope this rumor pans out.

Gary