The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Am I crazy? Moving from Nikon D800 to A7 or A7R

MontyMo

Hi everyone,

I've been a amateur photographer since the early 1970s. Nikon all the way. Starting with an F2, then an F3, then a bunch of digital Nikons. Currently I have a D800 with a grip. I have three AF lenses, 14-24 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8 and 70-200 VRII f/2.8.

I always believed that bigger is better. it doesn't get much bigger than the "tank" I am carrying these days.

While at work I am always listening to POD casts. Recently they have been chattering about mirror less camera. I blew them off for the most part. Much to my surprise two people (on the POD cast) that I respect, have sold their D800s and purchased A7Rs. They Love the tiny cameras. TO top it off, a woman I respect in our photo club has a A7R. She too loves it.

So here I am, considering putting my Nikon gear on eBay and moving to Sony. Am I insane? I love the IQ of my Nikon, but I am getting a little tired of lugging it around. I am a street photographer. No way can I sneak up on someone with that camera. :)

I'd like the smaller file size of the A7. I'm not sure I'd be happy with it. For that matter I'm not sure I'd like the A7R.

I'd start out with the 55mm f/1.8

I just don't know what to do. I've never felt this way with my Nikon gear. The new stuff is always bigger and that equals better.....

Sorry for this long and rambling post. I guess I am looking for input for a former "big DSLR" shooters. I'd be instructed in your thoughts.

Thanks
Monty

k-hawinkler

If you can afford it why not have both systems for awhile.
I have both and use them differently.

For street photography you might consider the A7R with FE 35/2.8.

PSon

I hope my own experience will relate somewhat to you and help you decide or go through your own transition. I have many systems and when I got the A7R I ended up using it on a daily base not because the A7R is a better camera but because it is compact and light with lens compatibility like no DSLR camera. I can put on an extremely small lens or I can put on a large image circle lens to stitch. Sometimes I use my own Canon lens with the smart adapter for tilt and shift. Basically this camera unifies all my lens and thus creates quite a unique tool. I feel like I am not missing my Canon system because I am still using Canon lens and this applies to all of my other systems. I hope my own rambling can connect to your thought process.

Best Wishes,
-Son

MontyMo

I will be in Minneapolis next weekend. Hopefully I can find a camera sore that has an A7 or A7R in stock. I'd like to see how it feels in my hands...

ShooterSteve

I also plan on adding the A7R to my kit, but not for my large and bulky Nikon lenses, it's hardly worth it. It may even be worse with big heavy glass hanging on that small body, and slow AF from the adapter you will need. My plan for the A7R is for use with my small compact Leica prime lenses that require manual focus and with my Canon shift lenses for architectural work. I would keep the Nikon for your Nikon AF lenses which already work great together. And get an A7R with compact lenses and enjoy the D800E quality in a smaller package. IMO.

J

JohnW

I don't generally advise on gear choices because it seem so personal to me. But I will say this: if you're serious about street photography, you'll likely find waist-level shooting with a flip screen to be the cat's meow. Other things being equal, or close to equal, that feature would put me in the Sony camp, at least for street work.

John

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Monty,
If the size of the camera is worrying you, get the grip. The grip makes my A7r taller (though thinner) than my A99. Having two batteries for walkabouts is a big plus, too. When you need it small, take the grip off.

It is the little camera that can be big. A7r on the left, A99 on the right.View attachment 79515

View attachment 79516

(Please excuse the iphone photos).:mad:

gubavision

Why not get a small camera that can be your walk around camera. I have D800 but also an Olympus Pen micro 4/3 camera. It is very compact with the collapsible lens and an EP-3 can be had for a song. Not the latest but would definitely be a very capable camera. I take it on hikes and can leave in the car and not be paranoid I will loose 5k in gear.

Jason Abbott

I am moving from a D800 (and a line of pro DSLRs before that) to the A7r. Most of my shooting is from two wheels or on foot. I whittled my D800 kit down to a Samyang 14, Voigtlander 58, ZF 35/2 and ZF 100/2 — fairly compact with decent quality but I still found myself leaving it behind.

This morning I dropped the A7r and FE 35 into a DSLR lens pouch (easy fit) on my ThinkTank belt for my hour bike commute (I hate straps over my shoulder while I'm biking). I hardly noticed it was there — got a nice shot, I think, from a decommissioned railroad bridge over the river. For my kind of shooting it's an easy trade.

turtle

The A7 and A7R cannot substitute DSLRs for everything. They are slower and more difficult to shoot very accurate shallow depth of field when time is short. My 5D III runs rings around both my A7 and A7R for charging animals or kids for example. The focus set up on the A7/R also lacks the absolute precious that allows you to nail the eye in a portrait in a split second with v fast lenses. You tend to need to magnifier or to be very careful with nailing the exact point of focus, but they were not designed for this I don't think.

If you are tempted, unless you make prints well over 30" definitely go for the regular A7. You save money and get better overall value. The A7R has stunning resolution for giant prints, but you need faster shutter speeds, the shutter is louder, the flash sync is clower etc.

Have you considered a small Micro Four Thirds camera for street? How about something tiny like the Panny GM-1? V fast AF and in your pocket everywhere. Great IQ.

If you do mostly scenic, landscape and travel, I think the A7/R to be the best camera in the planet, but for people DSLRs are better by a good margin IMO. The two compliment each other.

MontyMo

The grip does look nice Cindy! I know, a 2nd battery is a must. Does anyone have an external charger or is the "in camera" charger the only option?

Street photography is my main interest. What I am hearing is that I cannot go wrong with the A7

Thanks
Monty

iiiNelson

The A7 uses the same batteries as the NEX cameras and this the charger will work with it. The Sony external chargers run about $40-50.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Monty, I bought two sets of Wasabi batteries/charger (2 batteries and a charger) $26.99 each at Amazon. I don't think the batteries are quite as robust as the OEM batteries, but they are nice to have as backups.

Viramati

As I see it if you do street the main advantage over the D800 will be the reduction in size and weight. I went for the A7 as opposed to the R because
1. It has faster focussing in good light
2. Quieter shutter (though not as good as my Leica M)
3. I really don't need 36mb files as 24mb is plenty enough for me.
4. Probably behaves better with Leica M mount lenses than the R

I bought the native 35 and 55mm lenses and the IQ of them in combination with the A7 is simply fantastic

losta

I have an older charger from NEX 5 but I just ordered a W charger from Sony 27-BCTRW for $49.99 both B&H and Amazon are showing it as a preorder.

The grip does look nice Cindy! I know, a 2nd battery is a must. Does anyone have an external charger or is the "in camera" charger the only option?

Street photography is my main interest. What I am hearing is that I cannot go wrong with the A7

Thanks
Monty

losta

I have both a D800 and D800e. I am selling the D800e after getting the a7r. I travel to take photos several times a year and I am just not into carrying the larger bodies and lenses when I walk around for hours doing photography. I am keeping the D800 for when I shoot locally or when I can drive fairly close to my location.

I have been into photography since the early 70's and have shot everything from point & shoots to 8x10 view cameras. I have been shooting both with smaller mirror less cameras since 2008, M8, M9, various Olympus, Panasonic and Fuji models but I think with the a7/a7r I can for the most part travel without the DSLR.

Last edited:

MontyMo

Well here is a surprising update.

My wife and I just did a little negotiation session. :) We discussed the merits of my big camera vs the little one I would like to buy. I'm not going to go into detail, but we agreed that I could use my share of our tax return to purchase a Sony A7 with the 55mm f/1.8 lens

AND I DON"T HAVE TO SELL MY NIKON

All good news here in Oshkosh (except the weather, another snow storm today)
I cannot wait to start posting pictures here!

Thanks everyone for your advice!

Monty

ZeDi

I did a same kinda switch from canon 5DMKII with 100 macro and zoom, to Sony A7R with macro and waiting for the 24-70.
Love the camera the way it works and am happy with the results.
Must add that I only switched because of the weight and the size.
The Canon was a great workhorse.