The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
An added benefit of stabilisation is that it makes magnified manual focus a lot easier at everything over 35mm focal length...
Are you saying I'm not stable. Lol

Tim nice work and appreciate you posting your findings. I'll get one at some point myself. Distortion is something I would not worry about . You can contact the owner of PT lens and send him some images and he will build a profile for the plugin. He did it for me with my Leica 19. On his website there are directions on how to shoot the images to submit to him. Let him know your a member here and maybe send a link to your tests. He is a really nice guy.

nostatic

The RX1/r have electronic stabilisation for video. The focal length is cropped to around 44mm, with IS active.
what he said :D

No stabilization on stills, but fairly effective on video. Useful for grabbing quick clips and the fast lens and big sensor helps in low light settings. AF isn't bad either. Interestingly doesn't hunt like the GH3 tends to do.

Tim, thank you for the images to review. I am not sure what to think at this point. Looks like the left side may be a tad softer than the right although it could just be the scene making me think that. The edges are rather poor wide open, but that may not matter too much since the type of stuff I would shoot wide open probably wouldn't need sharp edges (e.g., walkaround snapshots). The edges clean up pretty good as the lens is stopped down except at 24mm which is still kinda mushy. Worst case, a person can shoot loose and crop later if edge sharpness is critical. Hmm, definitely a compromise lens. The questions is whether it is good enough to justify the cost.

Nettar

I’m thinking that someone in Zeiss’ design office is reading this thread, and saying: “If Sony hadn’t told us to put OSS into this darned lens, we’d have knocked the socks off those GetDPI pixel peepers!” I can’t find the place now, but I’ve read that Zeiss is not enthusiastic about the IQ compromises that are required to stabilise a lens. They’ve not done it often. Nettar

Knorp

I’m thinking that someone in Zeiss’ design office is reading this thread, and saying: “If Sony hadn’t told us to put OSS into this darned lens, we’d have knocked the socks off those GetDPI pixel peepers!” I can’t find the place now, but I’ve read that Zeiss is not enthusiastic about the IQ compromises that are required to stabilise a lens. They’ve not done it often. Nettar
That's an interesting twist, but it is in particular OSS for my single native FE lens that I was looking for.
Whenever a future A8/r emerges it better have IBIS or some similar implementation onboard.
Zeiss happy, we happy ... :rolleyes:

Kind regards.

jonoslack

Mark, for my way of shooting, a mid-range zoom is absolutely essential. I have learned from long experience of my own laziness that when casually travelling or taking a hike, a zoom is all I will carry even if I have packed a load more. Of course if I am actually out to take specific images then I will take good primes, but for when I am ostensibly doing something else but want the ability to get good quality shots if something interesting crops up, the zoom is non-negotiable. So much so in fact that if this lens was notably less able than the Nikon 24-70 I would have got rid of the entire Sony kit and used the Oly for this purpose and the D800E for 'real' work. But as it is, I can increasingly imagine a world with far fewer cameras and lenses than I currently have!
Hi Tim
Many thanks for the write up, unexpected hope - excellent!

Like you I find a mid range zoom vital. Unlike you I'm not so sure it counts as "laziness": I respect my instinct and to me, those kind of reaction shots one takes whilst 'doing something else' can be the best.

I'm just starting a week of walking in the lakes, it's a family trip rather than a photographic trip, but I'm still hoping for a snap or two!

jonoslack

Hi Nettar
I wonder whether Zeiss design office has much to do with these lenses.Perhaps an overview?
Maybe someone knows different?

W.Utsch

Want to point you to Phillip Reeve's rolling Review of the 24/70.

Rolling Review: Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 4/24-70 ZA | PhillipReeve.net

There is a lens profile (posted inside the Blog's commentaries part) for LR made by Simon you can download (ge.tt/5INFQaJ1/v/0?c) and try before the official LR-proflie will come (soon?) The profile is made with Adobe's software.
This profile works very good, thanks Simon!
I hope i can post your download link.
Go to the comments on the bottom of the site and look for the comment of Simon.

BTW: Phillips Blog is worth reading as are his pics!

tashley

Subscriber Member
Am shooting this lens a lot more today, and it is frustrating - sometimes really quite good, sometimes looks like a cheap kit lens. For best results, 50mm at F5.6 works well on a planar subject and gives you nice Zeiss pop. It often misses focus at F4/70mm for some reason. It needs a touch more sharpening and some clarity to get it look like the JPEGS. And Lorey Lordy do I wish it had an on-lens OSS on/off...

Not looking great for serious landscape work either, but for close to mid-distance if you choose 28 thru 60mm and use F5.6 or F8, it can surprise.

tashley

Subscriber Member
OK here's some stuff that might be useful. First some images that show that when short correctly, in the safe zone of around 35-65mm and at F5.6 or F8, (and even at 70mm for the logs, as long as you're not shooting planar) the lens can make images on an A7R that are sharp to the corners, have pop and don't levee you feeling short changed. That's all I can really ask for from a mid-range zoom: sure I'd like it to be great at every focal length but I've never had one that is.

These are processed with +12 clarity, camera Neutral profile, sharpening of 80/0.7/70/20 and with a lens correction profile for LR that I found, made by some kind soul... they are all better than good enough for me.

Original at 92% jpeg quality, 63mm F8

Original 70mm F6.3

Original 46mm F6.3

Original 50mm F5.6

tashley

Subscriber Member
Now some distortion examples. Each shows the RAW and the in-camera JPEG:
24mm

33mm (the camera always gets 3mm mm when I set it to the 35mm mark!)

Thorkil

soft corners at 24mm, might be the hitting the head on the nail for me.
I might turn my head away and turn it into a simply and Oly E-M10 direction instead, and then wait patiently for the upcoming oly 7-14/2.8.
thorkil

Tim: about the 33mm thing. I read in the rolling review link, as speculation naturally, that this lens was designed with electronic corrections in mind. The 33mm frame after the slight crop that happens in correction results in a 35mm corrected frame. This could explain what you're seeing.

//Juha

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim: about the 33mm thing. I read in the rolling review link, as speculation naturally, that this lens was designed with electronic corrections in mind. The 33mm frame after the slight crop that happens in correction results in a 35mm corrected frame. This could explain what you're seeing.

//Juha
I'm not so sure: all the frames need corrections but this is the only one that does this!