The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

fotografz

Hi Marc - I think I first read something about this on the LuLa forum but I can't find the thread. However, there's also this from the LA-EA4 page on the LensRentals site:

'The translucent mirror that is used in this item is extremely sensitive. If it is touched with almost anything, it will scratch.'

-Doug
Thanks Doug … I am now aware … and will exercise great care … as I do with the A99 SLT translucent mirror.

- Marc

pegelli

I don't think the mirror is more prone to scratching than the one in the A99, but it's the fact you have adapter openings on both sides (vs. just in the front with the A99) that increases the probability of something getting in there and touching the mirror.

I've already read a story of a person sticking his thumb through the mirror of an LA-EA2, so with the larger mirror in the 4 it might even happen sooner. It costed him almost 100 € to get a replacement mirror in there.

Just got my 24-70 today. Can't say I've really tried it.. just couple of focusing tests in a dimly lit room. One thing that was painfully obvious was that the AF will be useless in dim conditions. As soon as I turned on more light, the lens focusing nicely. This lens is clearly for daytime shooting only!

Also the focus throw when using manual focus was weird. Seems like the focus speed is dependent on how fast you rotate the focus ring. It was hard to focus manually. Maybe this will change with practise, but I'll keep this lens for daytime & AF... need to figure out something else for night time.

And this was based on first 5 minutes with the lens, about all the time I had to play around.

Oh and need to keep the shade stored separately, if you reverse it on the lens it'll interfere your zooming and totally block manual focus.

//Juha

nostatic

Mine just showed up. Not sure I totally agree about low light AF performance. This was handheld in a dark elevator. Focus was quick and nailed. That said, there is good contrast for it to pick up.

Have just snapped around the office but so far I *really* like this lens. I don't feel like I'm losing any detail from the A7r sensor, corners seem reasonable, and it handles well - though I wouldn't mind a bit more damping on the MF ring. OSS is great and handheld video is viable.

crop

D

Deleted member 7792

Also the focus throw when using manual focus was weird. Seems like the focus speed is dependent on how fast you rotate the focus ring. It was hard to focus manually. Maybe this will change with practise, but I'll keep this lens for daytime & AF... need to figure out something else for night time.
That's the way the Sony works with native lenses. It senses manual focus "speed" (i.e., how fast you turn the focus ring) and selects a course or fine focus adjustment. That lets you quickly manually focus to the approximate focus and then use a fine adjustment to nail focus. Once you use it for awhile, you'll either like it or hate it. I like it.

Joe

jaree

Ok, so despite vowing not to buy this lens, I ended up placing an order last Friday at B&H and got the lens today.

First impressions: the damn thing is large! I mean large compared to the diminutive Leica M lenses I have been using. Makes me appreciate my little M lens babies so much more! This lens will sure attract attention.

Focus in low light was not bad at all and always locked on. MF focus ring ok and quite usable. Build seems good. The el-cheapo vinyl "case" that Sony included is a shame, but then I am not paying Leica prices, so probably fine. Be careful when taking the lens out from the vinyl case - the way it is packed, hood on top and lens at the bottom, it almost slipped from my hands - I thought I had it firmly in my grasp, but I was only holding the hood and the lens was perched precariously on it...**phew**

Shots to follow tomorrow in daylight, weather permitting. If it works well from 30mm-60mm then I am blessed.

- Eeraj

Not sure I totally agree about low light AF performance. This was handheld in a dark elevator. Focus was quick and nailed. That said, there is good contrast for it to pick up.
Must be the contrast. My 2 minute test had significantly less contrast to focus on. Basically a gap between sofa cushions. The sofa is light in color and the gap naturally dark due to shadow.. Also it was at maximum tele, whether that chages things or not, I don't know,

I also think it was even dimmer than what the elevator pic is showing.

But as said, it was a quick 2 minute playing around. And I wouldn't use this kind of lens for low light indoor shooting anyway. I have the 35/2.8 & 55/1.8 for that.

//Juha

pophoto

Okay, so I haven't been paying much attention... so there is lens firmware, any guesses whether this can help improve the hunting and low light issues in the long run?

Zooms for me, well they just got to work. I'm used to shooting primes, and on the Canon system, the zooms just work, extremely high quality both in performance and output. So good in fact I can be lazy and all those lenses just sit pretty in my camera bag. I had really hoped hunting could be be a thing of the past or reside in cheaper or older systems, certainly not on the FE system or at this price point!

tashley

Subscriber Member
A little update for anyone interested: I returned my first copy of the lens to Sony Store Europe because, impressed though I was with the potential of the design, mine had an asymmetry that showed as a left side weakness at the wide end and flipped to the right side at 70mm whilst being neutral in the middle. My new copy arrived at a local store today and has the exact opposite behaviour and, because it is still unbalanced at 50mm is less useful. So that is going back and a new one will replace it tomorrow. So a word to all purchasers: make sure you test yours quickly and be prepared to return: the curse of sample variation continues!

Of course Sony is not alone in this, and mid range zooms can be quite prone to it with all the rotating bits inside )I was never able to get a good Nikkor 24-120 for example) but I think the Sony 24-70 F4 OSS has such strong potential that I am willing to give the cherry a few bites to see if I can find a good copy...

lambert

Need any reports at 70mm if anyone can give me a update at that focal length
My 24-70 is super sharp at 24mm and becomes progressively less sharp as you approach 70mm. 70m is definitely the weakest focal length. The corners are not sharp at any aperture. This is my second sample, BTW. I returned the first sample due to poor performance in the outer zones at 24mm. The second sample is vastly superior in this regard.

jaree

A few quick snaps, full-size jpgs (lens comp turned off in camera) uploaded here:

http://1drv.ms/1fsbqGD

Ignore the tree pics, they are at 61mm.

Will try to provide better samples, it was too cold and windy to stand for more than a few minutes.

tashley

Subscriber Member
It does seem that there's a lot of sample variation. Again, I question Zeiss's wisdom in allowing Sony to manufacture under license (if that is indeed what's happening) but putting the Zeiss name on it. I have now unboxed 8 FE lenses and have one that is brilliant and one that is 'good enough'... the search for a good copy of the zoom will continue though: it's a key item.

nostatic

Looking at my full size images, I'm in the "good enough" camp at this point. It is soft on the edges at the long end, but in typical use it is in the ballpark with the primes in the middle. And, well, I don't have a 70mm prime :(

tashley

Subscriber Member
I can't see your files full size, so I can't tell, but are the left and right sides equally sharp?