The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thanks but I'd need to know more to make sense of them. Did you shoot RAW or jpeg, what sharpening if the latter. etc etc etc...

hcubell

A few quick snaps, full-size jpgs (lens comp turned off in camera) uploaded here:

http://1drv.ms/1fsbqGD

Ignore the tree pics, they are at 61mm.

Will try to provide better samples, it was too cold and windy to stand for more than a few minutes.
These look pretty sharp to me, at least in the center, but what is the distortion in the roof line all about? I would not expect to see that in a lens at 70mm.

jaree

You are right about the distortion - I had switched off all in camera lens comp while taking these shots. I am not sure if this is "normal".

All of these were shot RAW, PP in LR (sharpening = 48, radius = 0.8, detail = 36, masking=11).

Also does anyone know if in-camera lens comp is applied to RAWs also?

I need to do more tests - right now, I am not sure if this lens is really worth the price. I will say however, that it does seem to have very good flare resistance.

UPDATE: I applied 28-70FE profile in LR and the distortion in now (almost) gone: http://1drv.ms/1dBhw1R But I am really surprised that it needs distortion correction at 70MM.

If anyone needs RAWs, please let me know.

These look pretty sharp to me, at least in the center, but what is the distortion in the roof line all about? I would not expect to see that in a lens at 70mm.

Last edited:

nostatic

Thanks but I'd need to know more to make sense of them. Did you shoot RAW or jpeg, what sharpening if the latter. etc etc etc...
Shot raw. Pulled into LR5 with the default A7r profile. No post applied other than lens correction for the 28-70 FE. Shot DRO auto. Jpg output from LR used the default sharpening for screen.

If you're a glutton for punishment, raws:

http://nostatic.com/photos/raws.zip (590MB)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks folks I'll start looking at your samples. It may come to 70mm might be better with the 70-200. Will have to see how this winds up

lambert

It does seem that there's a lot of sample variation. Again, I question Zeiss's wisdom in allowing Sony to manufacture under license (if that is indeed what's happening) but putting the Zeiss name on it. I have now unboxed 8 FE lenses and have one that is brilliant and one that is 'good enough'... the search for a good copy of the zoom will continue though: it's a key item.
Unfortunately, sample variation affects all manufacturers. I have owned multiple samples of various Leica 35mm and 50mm in M mount. Some were superb, some not so.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Unfortunately, sample variation affects all manufacturers. I have owned multiple samples of various Leica 35mm and 50mm in M mount. Some were superb, some not so.
Me too - but I'd say about three out of maybe fifteen M lenses I've owned were less than acceptable at first shot. I never had a dud Canon lens. Nikons it seemed about maybe 30% went back, as a guess. I've owned few Zeiss lenses but I'd put their ratio similar to Leica. With Sony lenses I have been quite unlucky of late!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
My most success has been Zeiss and Leica R glass. From the Sony camp I got lucky with the 55 FE, ZA 85 and ZA 135 1.8. Nikon and Canon more than I would have liked . But my 35FE was iffy too. Seems like most systems. Maybe several factors why too. Part of the game

ashwinrao1

Seems to be too many optical challenges for this lens. Sharp here, not so sharp there....distortion. It's a lens that I would really love to have used, given the convenience factor, but the 35 (at least my copy and the 55) will suffice for the range of what I need...alas, hope my mind will be change, but I'm not seeing a resounding thumbs up here.

Tim, I may have missed this, but it seemed early on that you really dug the lens, but now it appears that you returned it....not as impressed?

D

Deleted member 7792

Also does anyone know if in-camera lens comp is applied to RAWs also?
Yes, in-camera lens compensation is applied to raw files from native Sony-Zeiss lenses. BTW, Leica does the same with its native lenses that are recognized by the 6-bit code.

UPDATE: I applied 28-70FE profile in LR and the distortion in now (almost) gone: http://1drv.ms/1dBhw1R
There is an ACR Release Candidate available (expires in May) that includes the profile for this lens. I've used the Release Candidate with Photoshop CC and the distortion is essentially corrected. The profile in LR for the FE 28-70mm zoom also comes close. Some people shy away from Release Candidate code but I've never had a problem with it.

My copy of the FE 24-70mm, from initial quick tests, seems fine. It's not as sharp as the FE 55mm (but what is?) but is no worse than the equivalent Nikon lens that I used for years. Plus, if I returned it to B&H, there's no guarantee that I wouldn't get one of the clunkers that are being returned.

Joe

mjm6

This lens has HORRIFIC pincushion distortion at 70mm, and barrel distortion at 24mm...

Disturbing, but I suspect this is the future of optics, since it is so "easy" to correct in the camera now, and much cheaper to build a lens that doesn't correct for this, I'm sure.

Does the camera show a corrected image on the VF, or does it show the distortion?

A lot of my subject matter is architectural; I could never work with the lens if it was showing that distortion in the frame while shooting. You never know what you are going to ultimately be getting when the images is fixed. It would be almost as bad as the Leica rangefinders in this respect.

I have the a7r, but no native lenses for it, so I can't test the question myself.

Can someone please tell me if the lenses are shown corrected in the VF? What about if the lens corrections are turned off?

Thanks,

---Michael

D

Deleted member 7792

Can someone please tell me if the lenses are shown corrected in the VF? What about if the lens corrections are turned off?
The EVF and Live View on the LCD only show what the sensor "sees". AFAIK, in-camera corrections are applied before the file is written to the SD card. Otherwise, the EVF and LCD displays would exhibit even more shimmer and delay than they do now.

Joe

nostatic

There is an ACR Release Candidate available (expires in May) that includes the profile for this lens. I've used the Release Candidate with Photoshop CC and the distortion is essentially corrected. The profile in LR for the FE 28-70mm zoom also comes close. Some people shy away from Release Candidate code but I've never had a problem with it.

My copy of the FE 24-70mm, from initial quick tests, seems fine. It's not as sharp as the FE 55mm (but what is?) but is no worse than the equivalent Nikon lens that I used for years. Plus, if I returned it to B&H, there's no guarantee that I wouldn't get one of the clunkers that are being returned.

Joe
I used the 28-70FE correction on the jpgs I posted as it seemed to be closer. When you pick Sony it then defaults to the 24-70 2.8 which it assumes is the closest match.

Unless better eyes here tell my the files are really whack (I'm not sure I'm looking for the right things), in typical shooting the copy I have seems good enough. And the utility of the zoom and the OSS are worth the price of admission. If I want to extract every last bit from the A7r I will use the 55/1.8. But that is kind of the case with every system I've shot - zoom means some compromise. Even if it is Zeiss or L-glass or whatever.

D

Deleted member 7792

I used the 28-70FE correction on the jpgs I posted as it seemed to be closer. When you pick Sony it then defaults to the 24-70 2.8 which it assumes is the closest match.
Just to clarify, the ACR Release Candidate I referred to in my earlier post does have the profile for the new FE 24-70mm zoom. I was not referring to the older 24-70mm f/2.8 zoom. The profile for the kit zoom is included in the current version of LR.

Joe