The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

Quentin_Bargate

The 24-70mm f4 has been tested, and then tested again, and again. :dh2:

After, these many tests, is anyone else ready to step forward and admit that, just maybe the Kit lens is really good enough, and that the 24-70mm is not worth 4x the price?
I have both. The Zeiss 24-70mm arrived yesterday.

My copy of the kit lens is poor. From preliminary testing, the Zeiss is in a whole different league. For me, it's worth the extra money and then some.

neelin

Tried a quick shot with a friends 24-70mm 24mm@f4 vs. my old Olympus 24mm f/2.8 @f/4
Center & Edge
Edge:

Center:

Sony:

Olympus:

CA in Oly was correctible with one click in LR. Note barrel distortion in Sony

Last edited:
My copy of the kit lens is poor. From preliminary testing, the Zeiss is in a whole different league.
Exactly my experience. The kit lens was pretty awful; the 24-70 looks great so far.

Here's a very boring snap in my living room, 24mm, wide open - full frame and center crop. I'm very happy.

I used the new Adobe profile for the lens.

tashley

Subscriber Member
GREAT shot Quentin - no one should doubt the capabilities of this lens and camera combo, but it really helps when you're such a good photographer!

Quentin_Bargate

Tim, very kind, thanks - camera and lens a very versatile combo. thanks for your tireless efforts testing, I am afraid I lose patience too quickly if a lens disappoints! I took about 3 shots with the kit lens before consigning it to paperweight duties :D

hcubell

It only took me two copies of the FE 24-70mm zoom to get what I think is a representative example of what the lens is capable of. The performance is really excellent throughout the frame from 35mm to 70mm, including the corners. At 24mm, the good copy is very sharp in the central part of the frame but just ok in the corners. (I have not had time to test it at 28mm.) This is generally consistent with what Tim and others have reported (Thank You!)
I am not an experienced lens tester. The "bad" copy is not really bad. I must say that if I did not have two copes of the lens to test against each other, I might have assumed that the "bad" copy was consistent with the optical potential of the lens, and I would have just returned it and moved on.
Addendum: The Sony Store has mistakenly just delivered two additional copies of the lens to my home. I guess I might as well take a look!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hmmm. You should see how the other 2 are and see if any members might want to buy them or trade for something you need. Just a passing thought. I'm tempted to sell my A7 as it sits around but it's also the backup. Not sure what to do on that .

Just thinking out loud

D&A

Hmmm. You should see how the other 2 are and see if any members might want to buy them or trade for something you need. Just a passing thought. I'm tempted to sell my A7 as it sits around but it's also the backup. Not sure what to do on that .

Just thinking out loud
Guy, you're not just thinking out loud, but I suspect those "wheels are turning" :) Possibly have two A7r's or a full frame Sony DSLR to go along with your A7r?

Dave (D&A)

nostatic

Just thinking out loud
well, if you want to dump it for a song, I might be interesting in singing...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
BTW just went to camera store and looked at the 24-70. Seems nice and well balanced on the A7 series.

nostatic

Im thinking several things. I was actually thinking a RX-10 or A6000
We must be thinking the same thing. I shot an RX10 at my local shop, and I have an RX100ii so I know what the files are like. Was re-reading some reviews last night. For me, the attraction of the RX10 is being able to go back and forth between stills and video seamlessly, as well as silent shooting. The 1" sensor punches above its weight, and I believe the RX10 takes the same battery as the A7(r). It is a no muss/no fuss solution. The resulting files from my camera store testing (this was when I bought the A7) were pretty favorable. Far from FF, but if you squint a bit they're in the ballpark. I think it is about equal to u43 depending on the details - close at least.

The a6000 may be an interesting choice as well.