The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7 / A7R custom buttons for B&W

Myrk-

Hi guys,

New to the forum, just got myself an A7 the other week - first digital camera I have ever bought! (Hate big SLR digital cameras, been sticking with my old SLR all this time!). Anyway I have an issue - I love these custom buttons on the A7, but I feel that only half the full thought went into them, or maybe I'm missing something?

My ideal situation would be to hit C3 and the camera turns to B&W shooting mode. Currently the best I can get is going to some picture effect menu, where I then have to scroll down to High contrast B&W... not exactly what I'm after, and quite tedious to flick between. Does the A7 do a straight up B&W mode? Is there an instant flick switch for this?

Any ideas? Or worth prodding Sony to include a more specific picture effect selection on the custom buttons in a future firmware update. Anyone who suggests "turn it B&W in photoshop" please hit yourself with a stick :lecture: :)

Ben Rubinstein

You can make one of the custom settings on the top dial into B&W. That said using a camera like that in jpg mode and not raw is a very big waste. The control over conversion which can be had when doing it on computer is far far better.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
If you set it up to shoot raw and jpeg and then put creative style on black and white, you will get a black and white jpeg, your review will be in black and white, and you still have the raw to work on, too. This could be saved to a custom setting on top.

Myrk-

Legends guys! Works fantastic using the top wheel. And the shooting with RAW and Jpg (but using the jpg for preview) is just even more of a bonus :) I have even noticed the time to display images on the back screen is actually faster on RAW+JPG than it was on JPG or RAW mode (how weird...)

Have to say though I don't know what Sony were smoking when they developed the memory setting... Seems you have to make your adjustments in manual mode, then go to menu -> memory, and click in the accept button to save it over that memory setting, but you never get a confirmation or anything to acknowledge whether it did what you asked or not. Strange.

Ben Rubinstein

Yeah confirmation would be nice. I would also love the ability to save some of the other settings other than just shooting mode, shooting settings and picture styles. I've got my custom setting 2 on the wheel set up for studio 1/125 iso 100 but I can't save the setting to not show exposure settings in the viewfinder so that everything isn't black. Annoying.

Ben Rubinstein

Just realised that you don't get B&W in the viewfinder when shooting with the 'Live view display' set to off (i.e. for studio). I use the B&W to help me with peaking. Was a real nuisance today. I got far too many out of focus for a portrait shoot.

jfzander

Legends guys! Works fantastic using the top wheel. And the shooting with RAW and Jpg (but using the jpg for preview) is just even more of a bonus :) I have even noticed the time to display images on the back screen is actually faster on RAW+JPG than it was on JPG or RAW mode (how weird...)

Have to say though I don't know what Sony were smoking when they developed the memory setting... Seems you have to make your adjustments in manual mode, then go to menu -> memory, and click in the accept button to save it over that memory setting, but you never get a confirmation or anything to acknowledge whether it did what you asked or not. Strange.
No, just use the mode, change the setting and save it again.