The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tethering the A7(R)

mwalker

Subscriber Member
I would like to know if I can tether the A7R to LR5 wireless and with LiveView. I have to photograph prehistoric artifacts for a local college Saturday and where I’ve done this many times before with the A900 having no LiveView was hit or miss and lengthened the shoot. I use a product table and an EZ cube (six sided soft box) with studio lights, no flash.

1. I would like Live View, big time saver.

2. I would like to do this wireless, but I do have the tether cable used with the A900.

3. It would be great to use an iPad for them so they won’t look over my shoulder.

If anyone has done this yet I would appreciate your advise. Thanks in advance.

Curtis Hustace

Hi mike. Yes to everything. I downloaded a plugin for lightroom from DNA Software - Software for DSLR cameras. it works perfectly. I still tether with a cable as I shoot raw and files sizes can be big and slow you down wirelessly (I have not tried to tether wirelessly actually).

You can also use your ipad or iphone for live view. You have to download the Sony App "Play Memories" I think?! You have to attach the ipad to the wifi of the camera. Once you do that you can run this app and you can have a LIVE VIEW on your ipad or iphone and release the shutter from those devices as well. Once you release the shutter, your image appears on the ipad or iphone.

Hope that helps

This is with the SONY a7r.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
can someone walk me through this? DNA says that this camera is not supported yet via a prompt when I ask for help. But they had no problem selling me $30 of software saying it would work during checkout. But Chris above says it works for him. I'm using a usb cable instead of wireless like Chris because I shoot RAW. I to am using a 7R.
-Light Room 5 shows the camera during a tether session on my macbook pro but the shutter cannot be activated and there is no Live View.
-iPad shows nothing.
Thanks

Last edited:

Ben Rubinstein

I did a tethered session today. I used the Sony Remote Camera Control with my A7r. Free tethering software. Worked well, didn't drop or cause problems. I do wish it showed a preview of the file like the Canon software does. You can set up LR to have a 'watched folder' so that whichever folder you move your files to from the tethering software they are automatically ingested into LR with the settings you prefer, etc.

Important to note. The USB connection must be set to 'PC Remote' (last tab in the menu looks like a toolbox then under 4) for tethering to work. 'Auto' should work but doesn't.

Tethering for Sony isn't supported in C1 unfortunately.

DennisHHH

I've been shooting tethered using the Sony software also. I don't know if you know this but for live view you can plug-in and external monitor to the HDMI out and see a live image in real time and still transfer via USB tether. I can't wait to get my hands on a 4K monitor for my studio.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
I still don't know how you guys are live view tethering. I can get tether to work using Sonys Camera Remote on a Mac Book Pro using a USB cable (with no Live View) but when I connect to a iPad wirelessly for Live View the USB connected computer shutter will not activate. Sony Camera Remote software still sees the camera data but will not activate the shutter.
DNA software will not activate the shutter either.
Im having LR auto import from a folder that I set up from the Sony Camera Remote.
I guess I can set up a separate monitor and go through the HDMI.

Last edited:

fdean

Hello all. Just joined and I am having troubles connecting the A7R, Remote Camera Control Software to camera on my Mac 10.9. Keeps saying can't connect the device. My setting in the camera are USB Connection PC Remote. USB Lun Setting Muti. Camera Remote on. Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers.

Dale Allyn

Hello all. Just joined and I am having troubles connecting the A7R, Remote Camera Control Software to camera on my Mac 10.9. Keeps saying can't connect the device. My setting in the camera are USB Connection PC Remote. USB Lun Setting Muti. Camera Remote on. Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers.
Looks like Guy will be sharing some insights in THIS new thread soon.

fdean

Hello All,
Just joined. I am having problems connection my A7R to my Mac computer 10.9 thru the Remote Camera Control Software. The camera says "Check the connected device. On my computer it says "Cannot detect the camera". My camera settings are USB Connection PC Remote, USB LUN Setting Multi, Camera Remote On. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!