The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Check your adapter mounts

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have 4 adapters and all of them the mounts where lose. 2 Metabones 1 Novaflex and the Sony adapter I had to tighten down every one of them with a small Phillips head. This could lead to many issues. These are all brand new. These are all on the lens side of the adapters . Get your screwdrivers out and check them.

GrahamB

I checked my Sony LA-EA3, all screws tight. My Metabones M to E mount adapter seemed tight, but I was able to tighten the screws a 1/2 turn or so (using a 1.5mm hex key).

I'm having second thoughts on the Metabones. There's almost certainly a recommended torque setting. The screws may not be designed to be fully tightened, to allow for thermal expansion.

If the mounting plate is loose, obviously one should tighten the screws, but not all screws are designed to be fully tightened.

stephengilbert

"There's almost certainly a recommended torque setting. The screws may not be designed to be fully tightened, to allow for thermal expansion."

Torque recommendations are normally set based on the bolt/thread material and thread size, to ensure that the fastener is tight enough not to loosen, but not so tight as to strip the threads. I think it unlikely that adapter designers would expect fasteners to be looser that proper to shim a lens.