The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7/r lens recommendations 90-135mm

philip_pj

Great to see all these choices, and images, thanks. I have a Contax Yashica 100/3.5, very happy with it. Have my eye on a 135/4 TE at some stage.

biglouis

I had a really nice old 135 TE in the past but I always found the low contrast characteristics of the lens difficult. I'd like to be able to afford to try the newer 135 APO version.

Anyone got any samples?

Louis

fotografz

The later Leica M90/2.8 is simply the best for the money IMO. A vastly under-rated lens that fits the A7/A7R perfectly … nice balance and well dampened manual focus as one would expect of Leica.

I also use the M75/2AA which is spectacular wide open … a nice balance of modern acuity and old school dreamy.

If you want AF, then the A mount lenses using the LAEA4 SLT adapter with built-in Phase Detection AF motor gives you the fastest AF possible with these A7 cameras. Adapted Canon or Nikon lenses are snail slow in comparison. Not a small or inexpensive solution if you do not already own A mount lenses like I do.

- Marc

D&A

Although my comments don't specifically relate to these lenses when used in conjunction with a A7 or A7r, I couldn't agree more with Marc in his recommendation of the Leica 90mm f2.8 Elmarit-M (last version of Leica's 90mm f2.8). Small, relatively light, nice built in hood (although a bit short with a filter attached), always balances nicely and although an extremely sharp lens from the get go at f22.8, has just the right amount of smoothness at this wide open aperture for close up portrait work.

Another slight departure from the highly recommended Leica 135mm f3.4 APO is it's immediate predisessor, the 135mm f4 Tele Elmar-M. This was the very final and last version of this lens just prior to the f3.4 APO version and cosmetically looks so similar, some confuse it with the APO lens.

Although it's been reported that all the 135mm f4 lenses have similar optics, I personally have not found they all perform the same. Maybe the glass had improved coatings or Leica used a higher quailty glass in key elements in later years. The last version seemed to have taken it up a notch and it's often been reported to either have APO glass too but at the time, it wasn't in vogue for Leica to announce such formulations for their lenses or simply near APO performance. On every occasion I have a chance to test either my current or previous 135mm f4 Tele Elmar-M against the current 135mm f3.4 APO ( which I've done with a number of 135mm f3.4 APO copies), I've yet to find any of the APO's outperform in terms of resolution my 135mm f4 when both shot at f4.5 or stopped down. When both used at f4, I sometimes but not always have observed the slightest edge in sharpnes from the f3.4 lens....but it was very small. Of course the f3.4 lens can be shot at f3.4!

So the recommendation for the APO lens is a no brainer, due to it's relatively compact size and weight, but often the last version of the 135mm f4 can be found for a fraction of it's price. I can imagine combined with the A7(r), it would make a nice 135mm focal length package.

Dave (D&A)

D

Deleted member 7792

Although my comments don't specifically relate to these lenses when used in conjunction with a A7 or A7r...
So Dave, when are going to make the leap and join us in "A7/A7R Land"? :watch:

Joe

mark1958

Re: 90mm M
This is what i am using as well as mentioned above and I agree with Marc. The voigtlander 90mm/3.5 II (i have a nikon mount) is also really stellar. As I mentioned it is a bit bigger but it is also about 1/3 the price.

The later Leica M90/2.8 is simply the best for the money IMO. A vastly under-rated lens that fits the A7/A7R perfectly … nice balance and well dampened manual focus as one would expect of Leica.

I also use the M75/2AA which is spectacular wide open … a nice balance of modern acuity and old school dreamy.

If you want AF, then the A mount lenses using the LAEA4 SLT adapter with built-in Phase Detection AF motor gives you the fastest AF possible with these A7 cameras. Adapted Canon or Nikon lenses are snail slow in comparison. Not a small or inexpensive solution if you do not already own A mount lenses like I do.

- Marc

vjbelle

I have the 135 mm Apo Telyt M and tried it for the first time today. This was a test, not a work of art! Processed with C1 defaults only. Wide open.
Well Bill you talked me into it..... I just have to see if the Leica 135 is as good as your image shows. Ordered one and should have it on Friday. ;)
Victor

D&A

So Dave, when are going to make the leap and join us in "A7/A7R Land"? :watch:

Joe
Just as soon as some unknown benefactor comes along and tells me my photography must reach the next level, and so I am bequeathed both a A7 and A7r along with the 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8, in order for my artistic talents to grow :). Next to that, it's simply a matter of saving my pennies as I no longer need convincing how impressive this system is so far. In the meantime I will have to live vicariously thorough yours and many others here on Getdpi, posting their superb imagery.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

biglouis

Just a coda to the original message for anyone interested, here are two shots using the C-90 Elmar I eventually purchased. I think they pass muster.

Crops out of the centre of the image - the 24mpx sensor of the A7 certainly gives you enough scope to crop.

Camden Lock, London

D

Deleted member 7792

Zeiss 135 F2 Apo. Sort of the end of story. I found nothing better yet
Guy, isn't that lens kinda large when mounted on the A7/A7R, especially with an adapter? I had one in my Nikon days and it seemed large even on the D800E.

Joe

mark1958

It is large but wonderful in terms of optics. I just wonder how it directly compares to the leica 135mm Apo Telyt. The leica is half the weight

D&A

I think we've all come to realize, there's usually tradeoffs when it comes to the choices we're confronted with in photographic equipment.

Dave (D&A)

biglouis

I must say, I am still interested in something longer. I hope that Sony/Carl Zeiss will give us a 135 or even better a 180 prime - even f4 would do it to keep it small, for these remarkable cameras.

LouisB

k-hawinkler

Leica APO 180/3.4 comes to mind.
I shot it yesterday on my A7R handheld.
With IBIS one could focus manually much better though.
Images seem fine. Will try on tripod next.

Godfrey

Leica APO 180/3.4 comes to mind.
I shot it yesterday on my A7R handheld.
With IBIS one could focus manually much better though.
Images seem fine. Will try on tripod next.
I have the older Leica Elmarit-R 180/2.8 (series VIII filter, 2.9lbs) that I'll be working with. I don't bother to try to hand-hold it in general: it's just too darn heavy. Luckily, it has a tripod mount built in.

I've used it, briefly, with the E-M1 hand-held where the format makes it 360mm EFoV. The IBIS is a godsend and allows for very nice photos, but this lens is heavy enough to tire your hands and forearms quickly. A monopod even with the E-M1 makes it far more useable.

k-hawinkler

True, your lens is way too heavy for hand holding for me as well.
But I still can handhold the APO 180/3.4 and the Vario 80-200/4.
Certainly on my E-M1 that works very well.
On the A7R it is more of a challenge but fine on a tripod.