The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7/r lens recommendations 90-135mm

Luvwine

Still thinking about this. Anyone use the C/Y 100-300 vario sonnar? Read pretty good things, but assume it is heavy and don't know if competitive with other options. The Leica M 135/3.4 seems good quality and half the weight of the Zeiss 135/2, tho not quite as good, slower, and does not take extenders (and not cheap). That plus the R 180/3.4 would be good but together, they weigh more than the Zeiss 135/2 by half a pound or so. I suppose the R 180 takes the 2x extender giving reach to 360, but slow and I have no clue about the optical quality. The Zeiss may be the best bet, but it seems like a beast with an adapter and extender on a poor little A7r....just not sure if I would then leave it home unless I had a specific mission in mind....

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well it's a tough call. It comes down to the hassle syndrome if you know what I mean. I had the same thing with a big Nikon 200 f2 . Amazing lens but a pain to lug around. The 135 I don't really have a issue with it at all. It goes on every shoot regardless. I use a Street walker pro backpack for the field and really don't feel it on my back. The Sony and some other lens changes have lightened my load. Try renting it first.

Luvwine

Thx Guy. Renting is a sensible suggestion I have never done. :). Not sure if one can rent the adapter tho. This GAS has hit me hard! Looking at lenses I don't need....

As for carrying stuff, I gave moved away from backpacks and like the Thinktank waist belt system when hiking. I find it more comfortable for me to have the weight on the hips and now the weight us much less than with my 5D 2 or 1DS3 system. I also use Ona brand bags for shooting around town without a tripod. When I take short hikes I use a Thinktank case just for the tripod and that goes on my back. Water bottle/bear spray on the waist belt, but may have to reevaluate depending on how the lens collection grows....

biglouis

I have to say the penny has finally dropped about the A7/r and adapted lenses. Especially with the LEA4 adapter.

For example, I was musing that I would really like a decent 100mm-ish macro for my A7. Nothing is on the roadmap. Ping! Of course, I could get the LEA4 and then either a Minolta macro, or the highly thought of Sigma or Tamron 100mm macros in Sony Alpha mount.

Likewise, I wouldn't mind a fastish 180-200mm lens. Ping! Again, lots of choice with third party lenses with Sony Alpha mounts.

LouisB

dchew

I am excited; tomorrow a 90 sumicron shows up from LensRentals for me to test. I have the Canon 90 f/2.8 TS and the 70-200 f/4 IS. But I want something small in that range. Went to my dealer today and fondled the Leica; holy crap is that nice and small! Seems perfect for the A7r. I also borrowed a Zeiss 100 f/2 so I can compare them all. I played with it this afternoon and really like how close it focuses and the long throw, but boy it is big. Especially compared to the 'cron.

I will post an update over the weekend, but I'm predicting this won't be good for my bank. the Canon TS focuses down to 0.5m (1:3), and it is reasonably sharp, so the Zeiss will have to be a lot better to win me over. I predict the Zeiss will go back and the Leica will win me over.

Let me know if there is something specific I should look out for.

Dave

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

My Sigma 1.4 converter came today for my Zeiss 135 and I was out to run some tests but clouds came in so I bailed on a full bore test but did knock a few out and better than I thought . Having a 190 2.8 is going to be nice.

Luvwine

Will be curious to see how you like the 90/2Leica. I had the Zeiss 100/2 MP, but sold it and have the Leica. I did not do head to head comparisons as I decided to part with the 100 due to weight and never regretted getting the Leica. Drawing style is different and a matter of taste and subject.

Godfrey

I have to say the penny has finally dropped about the A7/r and adapted lenses. Especially with the LEA4 adapter.

For example, I was musing that I would really like a decent 100mm-ish macro for my A7. Nothing is on the roadmap. Ping! Of course, I could get the LEA4 and then either a Minolta macro, or the highly thought of Sigma or Tamron 100mm macros in Sony Alpha mount.

Likewise, I wouldn't mind a fastish 180-200mm lens. Ping! Again, lots of choice with third party lenses with Sony Alpha mounts.
My 100-ish macro is the superb Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 AI-S. An outstanding lens. Bought it last year, worth every penny I paid for it. And my fast 180-200-ish is the Elmarit-R 180/2.8. A massive lump, but I love the way it renders.

I am so delighted with this impulse purchase of the A7. The camera itself ... a bit clunky. But the sensor is outstanding and works so well with these lenses! :)

BTW, the Summicron-R 90mm f/2 is simply an outstanding lens and shines on the A7. It's not particularly large, but it is a heavy thing.

G

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
I am excited; tomorrow a 90 sumicron shows up from LensRentals for me to test. I have the Canon 90 f/2.8 TS and the 70-200 f/4 IS. But I want something small in that range. Went to my dealer today and fondled the Leica; holy crap is that nice and small! Seems perfect for the A7r. I also borrowed a Zeiss 100 f/2 so I can compare them all. I played with it this afternoon and really like how close it focuses and the long throw, but boy it is big. Especially compared to the 'cron.

I will post an update over the weekend, but I'm predicting this won't be good for my bank. the Canon TS focuses down to 0.5m (1:3), and it is reasonably sharp, so the Zeiss will have to be a lot better to win me over. I predict the Zeiss will go back and the Leica will win me over.

Let me know if there is something specific I should look out for.

Dave
Look out for the Slippery Slope Dave :D

Guy Mancuso

Your in serious trouble my friend. Send me your credit card i will handle all those lens purchases for you. LOL

dchew

I actually think my card is safer with my wife! :)

Seriously, Here's my plan at this point:
24mm - I have the Zeiss 25 f/2, but it is kinda big. The only other thing I might do is find a used Oly or Nikon f/2.8.

35mm - Sony FE 2.8

50mm - Sony FE 1.8

90mm - Leica f/2 and keep my Canon f/2.8 ts w/ 25mm extender for closer shots since the Leica only focuses down to 1m

Above 90mm - Keep using my Canon 70-200 f/4IS.

[Guy please keep quiet about that 135 f/2]

Dave

Guy Mancuso

I actually think my card is safer with my wife! :)

Seriously, Here's my plan at this point:
24mm - I have the Zeiss 25 f/2, but it is kinda big. The only other thing I might do is find a used Oly or Nikon f/2.8.

35mm - Sony FE 2.8

50mm - Sony FE 1.8

90mm - Leica f/2 and keep my Canon f/2.8 ts w/ 25mm extender for closer shots since the Leica only focuses down to 1m

Above 90mm - Keep using my Canon 70-200 f/4IS.

[Guy please keep quiet about that 135 f/2]

Dave
No doubt your card is safer with your wife. LOL

hcubell

What do you mean? I'm down at the bottom next to Guy and David Duffin yelling at everyone else to slide on down!

:)

Dave

PS: Yeah my first Leica lens. Uh oh...
Based upon how good the two native FE primes have turned out, you may want to hold off before pulling the trigger on a Leica 90mm lens. If you already have Leica lenses, fine, but the native FE lenses appear to perform better on the A7R, at a fraction of the price. No one saw that coming! I think the expectation is that Sony/Zeiss will release an 85mm prime this year.

Guy Mancuso

Here are my thoughts get the 24-70 first and see how it is at 70mm with AF since I need a focal length around here for models and if that works out than I may sell my ZA 85 1.4 and get a Leica 90mm F2 cron or a 90mm 2.8 elmarit more for size and weight for landscape work. Having the 55mm AF helps me here too. Now if they come out with a 85 1.4 native down the road than maybe get that and sell the 90mm. Bottom line folks we are buying time here and we may have to buy something to cover ourselves than as native stuff comes along and is killer good ( we hope) than transform into native or not. Depends on needs here. I know one thing the Z 135mm Apo I have will not get replaced so I can maybe trim size and weight in the 85 area

dchew

First impressions on my Zeiss 100 f/2 vs. Leica 'cron f/2:

I don't think I'm going to get over this first part :(
Size. A two lens kit, Sony 35 f/2.8 plus the Leica 90 would breathe new life into my old Galen Rowell Photoflex chest pouch. With the right lens wrap it would all fit in there with no extra compartment or lens case. As hcubell pointed out, waiting for the Sony 85 makes a lot of sense; it will certainly be lighter, and probably smaller yet.

The Zeiss is just so much bigger. I realize comparing a 90 to a 100. Not really fair, but the Zeiss 85 at f/1.4 ends up being about the same mass. I don't know much about rangefinder lenses, so maybe there is a C/Y or some other lens I should investigate, but I'm guessing those are tough to get a hold of to test. Gotta buy one to see one...?

Anyway, images below with lens hoods and adapters mounted. Leica 1, Zeiss 0:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 7792

First impressions on my Zeiss 100 f/2 vs. Leica 'cron f/2:

I don't think I'm going to get over this first part :(
Size. A two lens kit, Sony 35 f/2.8 plus the Leica 90 would breathe new life into my old Galen Rowell Photoflex chest pouch. With the right lens wrap it would all fit in there with no extra compartment or lens case. As hcubell pointed out, waiting for the Sony 85 makes a lot of sense; it will certainly be lighter, and probably smaller yet.

The Zeiss is just so much bigger. I realize comparing a 90 to a 100. Not really fair, but the Zeiss 85 is f/1.4 so ends up being about the same mass. I don't know much about rangefinder lenses, so maybe there is a C/Y or some other lens I should investigate, but I'm guessing those are tough to get a hold of to test. Gotta buy one to see one...?

Anyway, images below with lens hoods and adapters mounted. Leica 1, Zeiss 0
+1

The Leica 90mm Summicron-M and 135mm Apo-Telyt-M work great with the A7/A7R and are ideally sized. I've owned the Zeiss 100mm (when I had a Nikon kit) and IMHO it's too large for a compact mirrorless camera. Sharp as a tack, but large.

Joe