The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7/r lens recommendations 90-135mm

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay here is how I roll with the A glass and adapter. I am in DMF mode as that's the only setting it works. I AF with half press and continue to hold that down with my thumb I hit the center punch button which I have set for zoom. I hit that twice than I am magnified. Focus manually to where I want to be hit that button again to get back out of it to full frame than compose and shoot. I'm holding down the half shutter the whole time otherwise it will try to focus again. Sounds complicated written here but is fast and works a charm. This is exactly why I bought the 85 and 135 A glass. For long lenses handheld you just can't freaking miss.

dchew

Since I'm usually manually focused, I have the AF/MF | AEL button programmed:
AF/MF: Initiates autofocus with AF lenses. Autofocus mode set to DMF so I depress the button, manually rotate the focus ring and it zooms automatically until I half-press the shutter.

AEL: I switch the lever to this position when I mount a manual focus lens, and have it programed to zoom when pressed.

This way the button does essentially the same thing when I'm focusing regardless of what lens I have on, and the camera never barks at me, telling me it can't do this or that because it is in a certain focus mode.

Dave

dchew

Just checked; no it does not. :(

I don't have any A lenses, but I tried it on my Canon 70-200 f/4 IS. No luck. There is no feedback from the focus position. Still works best for me because the AF with my Canon is so darn slow anyway. I'm better off focusing manually. Not a good setup for all of you with v4 adapters and A lenses.

Dave

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Exactly. My way seems to work best for me and actually I would like to setup my 55mm to Not do it automatically and turn off the focus mag upon turning the focus ring. That way all my lenses work the same. Not sure how to do that though. So many options or non options depending how you look at it. I like DMF mode for everything