The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Scouting Yosemite with the A7r

Dale Allyn

It's amazing (and scary) how little snow we have in the mountains and Yosemite Valley this year. Mid-January and we have bare ground where we should have 20 feet of snow. My wife and I hiked in to some lakes at 7000' elevation in the Sierras on Saturday. Brutal blue skies (not one cloud) and mostly ground devoid of snow.

Enjoying the images from your scouting trip, Guy. Keep 'em coming.

algrove

Guy-Great stuff.

You are making me wonder if I should reorder an a7r or a7. Seems like you are getting no vibration. Maybe because they are hand held.

mjm6

Guy-Great stuff.

You are making me wonder if I should reorder an a7r or a7. Seems like you are getting no vibration. Maybe because they are hand held.
I'm struggling to decipher if you were saying this seriously?

Please explain your thinking...

---Michael

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
It's amazing (and scary) how little snow we have in the mountains and Yosemite Valley this year. Mid-January and we have bare ground where we should have 20 feet of snow. My wife and I hiked in to some lakes at 7000' elevation in the Sierras on Saturday. Brutal blue skies (not one cloud) and mostly ground devoid of snow.
Im in Yosemite all week myself too. It sucks having no snow deluge compared to normal. You folks on the east are welcome to send the polar vortex back this way.

ShooterSteve

Guy, after using the camera for a few weeks now, you are officially giving the A7R thumbs up? I'm still waiting for feedback before I take the next step. I'm only concerned with Sony's crazy menus and button placement taking a while to get used to. But if the images are on par with the D800E, then it may be worth putting up with the menus.

D&A

Already snowing fairly heavily here in the mid Atlantic. Whether we get the predicted 4-8", it's hard to say but send me a R/T ticket to Yosemite, and I bring you as many suitcases of the white stuff (snow) as they allow on board.

In one sense it must be a little discouraging not to have a snow covered landscape, but the natural beauty of the area you're in, rarely disappoints. In some respects it gets the creative juices flowing to come up with different views and some creative images. Have fun!

Dave (D&A)

Jeff Kott

In one sense it must be a little discouraging not to have a snow covered landscape, but the natural beauty of the area you're in, rarely disappoints. In some respects it gets the creative juices flowing to come up with different views and some creative images. Have fun!

Dave (D&A)
It's actually more serious than dealing with the photo opportunities. Another year of drought conditions in California will certainly impact water availability. In the Bay area, the high pressure induced drought conditions have killed the winds and created a serious air pollution problem. I think 24 out of the last 30 days have been "spare the air" days. On most of these days I can see, smell and taste the air pollution.:(

D&A

Jeff,

I wasn't implying or making light of the situation regarding lack of snowfall. I've been reading about the severe drought in California and the tremendous impact it's having in all sorts of ways. Once of the worse droughts in recent memory. So many changes in earth's environments, whether it's cyclical or a profound change.

Dave (D&A)

Jeff Kott

Hi Dave,
I didn't think you were making light of the situation, I was just pointing out the downside of our beautiful weather.
Cheers,
Jeff

D&A

Hi Jeff,

Thanks, I realize that. It's good to point out the things that truly are important. As much as we all love our photography and equipment, there are certainly things bigger and more important in life. Sometimes it's all about seeing the bigger picture. Lets hope for better days ahead.

Dave (D&A)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Valley View Sunset . A7r Leica 19mm 15 second exposure. ND filter

Its one of many so still looking for the best

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If that was tonight then we missed each other by about a mile. I was shooting the reflection of El Capitan in the river at Cathedral Rocks Vista bend.

Guy Mancuso

We tried just about ever wide angle there is but actually Woody would have a more definitive answer . Woody was shooting my A7 all day yesterday and we tried a bunch of glass. Looked like the 18and 21 had a little smearing and a little color shift. I shot both the Zeiss 135 and Leica 135 and they both worked amazingly well. No direct comparison on same subject but if you ask me a coin toss. Myself I still need the F2 for podium type work so I can't go to the Leica there . For me if I did some Leica glass 35-90 range would make more sense but maybe the only gain would be bulk and weight. Obviously more money too so it would be a limited purchase for me at least. I'm really happy with what I have. I need a 25 and 50 but waiting for the AF 24-70 first to really see my needs.

Guy Mancuso

We tried the a7 and A7r on every lens but nothing truly official. Be awhile if we can sort that all out. Too busy shooting real images. Lol

I know one thing the Sony has peaked a lot of interest. Good for them too

Guy Mancuso

One other note the Leica 135 is a short throw focus lens. It's going to be tougher to nail a short throw focus lens on a person than it will
On a longer throw focus like the Zeiss 135. The Zeiss is simply easier to achieve focus on a person. We start getting longer as well critical focus is just tougher as well. Or better said I would rather have the Zeiss 135 for focusing people and the Leica more as a landscape type lens or another way to say this the hits will be more on the Zeiss but it's a bulky lens. No free lunch here.

The style of the lens here does not change just because it's on a Sony body.

D&A

Guy, you mentioned some observations (in a previous post) with regards to testing the Leica 18 and 21. Two questions. We're your observations of little smearing and color shifts with the A7 or 7r and was this with the lenses shot wide open or stopped down?

Your Valley View sunset image is lovely!

Dave (D&A)

Guy Mancuso

18 and 21 maybe a little smearing in the far corners on the A7r but it actually was not too devastating. The A7 looked better. But again wait for Woody"s comments as he was testing with a propose in mind. I really don't want to get too deep on which lens is working or not as for me to do that properly I would really have to test with that purpose in mind and carefully mark everything.