The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A7 with Leica R lenses ??

Godfrey

I'm just about to push the button on an A7 and Novoflex mount adapter in the hopes it will give me a good digital body to work with my Leica R lenses. (I've got a line on a new A7 body only from a broken up kit package for $1400 ... seems like a good deal to pounce on.)

I've got these lenses:

'65 Summicron 50/2
'70 Summilux 50/1.4
'79 Summicron 90/2
'81 Elmarit 135/2.8
'79 Elmarit 180/2.8

I'd also like to find a similar age wide ... 21, 24, 28 mm ... so that I can use it on both the Leicaflex SL too.

Based on what I've read here and elsewhere so far, it seems to me that the A7's 24 Mpixel sensor is a bit more forgiving than the A7r sensor and should work well with these older lenses. If anyone's used these lenses on either A7 or A7r body, I'd love to hear your experience.

thx!

bensonga

My Leica R lenses aren't that old, but I think you'll enjoy using your lenses on the A7. And yes...that is a good price for the A7 body!

When you get the camera, be sure you map the focus magnification to the button inside the AEL switch, per Ben's suggestion in post #2137 in the Fun with A7/A7r thread. With that change, I'm much happier using my A7 with my Leica R manual focus lenses.

Gary

Shac

I agree with Gary - my R lenses are also newer, but work very well indeed on the A7. Sounds like a great deal

PSon

Like Gary and Shac I have the modern Leica R lens but I also have the Leica Summicron-V 90mm lens that is similar in design as your Summicron-R 90mm version. My version is actually older than yours but the lens performs very well. Here is the image from my Sony A7R and the Leica Summicron-V 90mm lens.

To further demonstrate old lens are fine on the Sony A7R sensor, my Zeiss Biotar 1.4/50 was made prior to the war. The picture below is courtesy of Guy who was the photographer and our good friend Stephen was being a good sport.

Last edited:

Godfrey

Thanks! Looks like it will work well.

These old R lenses can't hold a candle to the last series made in the late '80s and '90, but they're very nice performers. :)