The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using old Nikon AIS Lenses on A7/R ??

Has anyone tried using regular old manual focus Nikon AIS lenses or even non AI on the Sony A7/R ?What do you think?

Thanks,

Robert

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I have used 28/2.8, 50/1.2 and 105/2.5 AIS lenses on A7/R. They work out rather nicely, as a simple 3-lens package.

mark1958

I have used the 50mm AIS and it is wonderful. I also have used the Voigtlander 90mm APO F3.5 II in Nikon mount and it is also a great lens on the A7r. I just found a used 28mm AIS and anxious to try that one as well

Great to hear that those lenses work well. Part of it is I also didn't know if they would be too big for that camera.
Very nice images retow, of course you being a good photographer really helps.
Robert

benroy

Subscriber Member
Using Nikon MF lenses with the A7...very pleased with results....all the old classic lenses..focus peaking has been a godsend for these tired old eyes...several examples on the "fun with A/7, A7r" thread.

Roy Benson

Shac

Yes as the others above, I've used (& tested) many Nikkor MF lenses on the A7 . Used and tested all AiS (unless otherwise noted): 20/2.8 35/2.8 (non-Ai), 50/1.4 (non-Ai), 50/1.2, 55/3.5 (Ai and non-Ai), 105/2.5 (non-Ai, Ai and AiS), 50-135/3.5, 75-150/3.5, 180/2.8 ED, 200 f4, as well as a CV 125/2.5 AiS - no problems focusing any of them.

I did find noticeable focus-shift on my 105/2.5 AiS - but not of course when focusing at the taking aperture.

Last edited:

bensonga

The 2.5/105 ais is very nice on the A7r.
These look very good! Received my Novoflex Nikon to Sony adapter earlier this week and I looking forward to trying my AIS Nikkor lenses on the A7 soon....especially my 55mm Micro-Nikkor.

Gary

JoelM

I have used the 25-50 (fantastic), 300/2.8 (very good), 50-300 (nice). I am going to also try the Tamron 400/4.

Joel

bensonga

Ok....so these are not the pics I was hoping to take today (Saturday was sunny, today back to gray skies and I had to work). Just playing around with my 55mm AIS Micro-Nikkor at home tonight. It is one of my favorite Nikkor lenses.

I suppose the question might be...why use these MF Nikkors on the Sony, instead of a Nikon DSLR. I'm not sure what the answer is, but it's nice to have the option to go either way. Both images were shot at f2.8 and ISO 1600.

Hopefully, I'll come up with some better shots as the days and weeks go by. ;)

Gary

Apple iPod Touch I picked up today for my wife. She'll be hooking this up in her new VW Jetta TDI for some tunes on the commute to work.

LUG Yearbook 2013 -- the Sony A7/A7r...best alternative to a Leica M9 yet! I don't think this shot was in perfect focus. Still working on my technique.

Last edited: