The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DPreview gives A7 Silver Award

biglouis

Hi Louis
I think Peter has it. Next up is the killer A8r with a silky smooth shutter and IBIS. Which doesn't mean that the A7 isn't a gem, just like the G1. Maybe they should have a diamond award for innovation, for which the A7 would be a no-brainer.

To be honest though, I'm with Guy and Godfrey on all these reviews. Entertainment only, absolutely limited use.
All the best
Yes, I agree and my op was lampooning DPreview for making statements I thought deserved ridicule.

Video of comedian Louis CK, appearing on Conan, with an amusing bit on people not happy with technology.

http://www.thatvideosite.com/v/94

Graham
Oh, I am quite happy with technology it is DPreview which sometimes makes me frustrated with journalism.

LouisB

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Folks I do reviews and I'm pretty candid about them but I look at reviews as a piece of a big puzzle to make any decision. I would never recommend or expect anyone to buy solely on what I would report or any other reviewer. All the pieces need to fit to make any sense of it all.

nostatic

I spoke with a Sony rep at a local in-store event today. I mentioned the diglloyd thing as well as the 1/60 auto iso, both of which he knew about. He said he knows a number of pros shooting the A7r with no vibration issues, but the inter webs gets traction. He's got a meeting with corporate next week and he's got 5 pages of notes from users that he's going to bring up. Maybe nothing will happen, but he was interested in hearing the good and the bad (I'm still in the koolaid phase so I bought a 35/2.8 :D) and was a genuinely nice guy.

Guy Mancuso

I think that is great he has notes . Listens to all sides of the coin and try and help his company grow. It's what a rep should do even if nothing happens today the message gets through at some point.

Guy Mancuso

I'm buying a 50 next week and I'm starting to lean towards the new 55 1.8. It's that or a old Nikon 50 1.2. But a native lens that is small would be nice

nostatic

fwiw I love the 55/1.8. I was able to shoot one of our project spaces handheld/available light and get a lot of hits that will play well on some pr that we're picking up. I just picked up the 35/2.8 and while it is nice, the 55/1.8 seems to be "special". At first blush it may be in the "favorites I've shot" category with the Pentax 77/1.8 and Oly 75/1.8 (I haven't shot true Leica glass so ymmv). Others here have a lot more experience with other glass though...

Godfrey

I'm buying a 50 next week and I'm starting to lean towards the new 55 1.8. It's that or a old Nikon 50 1.2. But a native lens that is small would be nice
Well, I'd buy the Sony Zeiss FE 55mm lens if I wanted AF and all the features of A7/A7r. But I have both the Leica Summicron-R 50mm f/2 and Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4, AND a Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 AI-S, and Micro-Nikkor 55/3.5 (Pre-AI). All of them tested beautifully on the A7. I'll test the Nokton 50/1.5 ASPH (LTM) and Color Skopar 50/2.5 as soon as my mount adapter arrives ...

So there are plenty of choices if you don't want AF, but if you do that Zeiss lens does seem to be very very good. The Color Skopar 50/2.5 is very small compared to the others, so I hope it does test out well.

G

ZoranC

Since when one is supposed to be taking DPR's reviews very seriously and why anyone should be getting upset if they talk nonsense?