The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Get a Grip

tashley

Subscriber Member
I just used the 'official' sony handstrap for the first time and I think it's both good and bad. Good in that it is lovely to carry the camera this way and that if you get it nice and tight, you get a real sense of mass coupling and a strong hold as your hand arches and tenses against the strap.

Bad in that the way it fits is sub-optimal: the bottom plate attachment means that the camera has a higher centre of gravity but a smaller base when set down, and it may not be as good at controlling shake when on a tripod because the contact surface area with the plate is smaller and there are more links in the chain. Also because it is hard to get the strap both tight enough and correctly positioned so as to allow easy use of the various buttons, dials and the shutter. Some tweaking of what i have assigned where might help as will some tweaking.

But overall, I think that when I get used to it, ti will give me better handheld results and in particular I think I'll be able to gain maybe 1/2 stop in handhold speeds...

Anyone else tried one?

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member
Ahh, thanks for letting me know, it must have slipped past me when it was discussed. I shall look it up and see what others think!

Knorp

Ahh, thanks for letting me know, it must have slipped past me when it was discussed. I shall look it up and see what others think!
Nah, just kidding you. The grip is IMO absolutely beneficial when handling large heavy lenses, but of course that's no news.
However it has it's quirks, like that irritating protruding release button.
You'll find out soon enough ... :D

Really, it's a stupidly flawed design - still, I like it :loco:

Kind regards.

Knorp

I have the grip, tried it, but it doesn't seem to help me. :-(
Of course the grip won't help you, K-H !
That's because you're shooting with canons (Leica R glass ...) only manageable when mounted on massive tripods.
:ROTFL:

Kind regards.

Knorp

I'm talking about the hand strap, not the vertical grip...
A hand strap ? Well, that's a complete different ball game ... :confused:
Seems very nice and comfy.
I like to hold the camera by the vertical grip in my right hand while holding the neck strap in my left hand in case the camera slips out of my hand, you never know what can happen.
So a hand strap could be an option for me as well.

Kind regards.

Ben Rubinstein

I have a Camdapter hand strap that I loved on my 5D3. On the Sony however it just doesn't work. You either have the strap tight on your hand but then can't get to the buttons on the back without being a contortionist or you have it loose and it's just too loose. Gave up and went back to an upstrap that I've used on my cameras for about 8 years.

mjm6

Tim,

I have that hand strap on my a900 (or something very similar). It's the only way I would go now.

One thing is that it can still take a neck strap, so you don't lose that functionality with the hand strap installed.

However, I removed that goofy tripod socked adapter plate and instead purchased a QR plate that has a slot in it to accept the bottom of the hand strap. In that form, it is perfect. The added plate on the bottom functions as a QR plate, and the strap connects to it directly.

I just got the new RRS QR plate for the a7r, and it has the same capability to accept a hand strap, so I will be purchasing another of those to go on the a7r as well.

I can walk around all day long with the a900 hanging from my hand comfortably. Something I wouldn't want to do with a neck strap.

---Michael

jagsiva

I got the Gariz case/grip, handstrap and neckstrap, and am really liking the set. The grip on the case definitely improves the standard grip and is also more comfortable. The handstrap is well done and unobtrusive. I am using the neck strap in on the base with a sliding clasp and this can be removed easily when not needed.

The quality of the bits is also very good

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thanks for all the added info folks, I will be exploring some avenues: I think the strap is ag rest way to go but that the Sony one isn't 'quite there'....

I have one arriving for my E-M1 tomorrow and why do I suspect that it will be better?!