The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Two Qs for A7 configuration

Godfrey

- Is there a way to toggle focus peaking on and off with a one button press?

- Is there a way to switch LCD/EVF displays manually without going to the menus?

And ... oh yeah ... make it three:

Is there a exposure readout in the viewfinder when using manual mode other than the histogram?

thanks!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I made the focus peaking setting on the down button of the dial. It's not a one touch but the whole control between on/off and low, medium and high. Actually that is what you want anyway bright light use low and in the shade or darkness levels you'll need to go medium or high. High seems rare though

I made C2my turn off LCD switch

You do have the sliding scale there that tells you if your under or over. You can also have that histo in finder LCD display show on and than off through your finder LCD options. You just have to move the dial to the next screen.

Guy Mancuso

The last one a little tough to describe via the written word. But it's under finder/ LCD display options in the menus. I don't have cam in hand right now to guide you. Let me know if you don't find it. The menus although daunting and make no sense in the order Sony displays them it makes it tough. This is a firmware change that is needed. Just needs to be organized by a photographer not a engineer. Lol

Godfrey

I made the focus peaking setting on the down button of the dial. It's not a one touch but the whole control between on/off and low, medium and high. Actually that is what you want anyway bright light use low and in the shade or darkness levels you'll need to go medium or high. High seems rare though

I made C2my turn off LCD switch

You do have the sliding scale there that tells you if your under or over. You can also have that histo in finder LCD display show on and than off through your finder LCD options. You just have to move the dial to the next screen.
- Yes, the down button of the dial is good for the focus peaking control. Nice to be able to get to it without going into the menus.

- I see a way to assign "deactivate monitor" to the C2 button, but what I was looking for is a way to tell the camera to turn off display auto-switching and set LCD or EVF only operation without having to dive into the menus. That would save power, I think.

- Ah, I see the manual metering scale indicator now. It's pretty subtle... missed it before. You have to be within a three stop range of nominal or it just flashes arrows at the end of the bar. And I just checked that it indicates correctly regardless of whether you have the "Live View Display - Picture Setting Effect" off or on. (With the setting off, the histogram does its job about telling you the distribution of values but doesn't tell you anything about whether you have the right exposure setting...) This is good! :)

The "Graphic Display" indicator screen is functionless for me since it depends upon aperture information from the lens, and I'm only using adapted manual lenses.

Thanks Guy! Very helpful. I've got the camera set up pretty close to what I want now, within its control limits. Just back from my first walk with it, using the Summicron-R 90mm f/2 mostly, and I have to say it's the first time I've seen what that lens can do on a digital sensor properly. Making me very happy.

G

Guy Mancuso

The one big on that will save power is review off. But in truth I have yet to get through 7 batteries the absolute most was three and I was cranking about 4 thousand images on the A7. Vertical grip helps as you barely notice it but no questions its a little pig on batteries. Review off does help a good deal. Seriously it takes a good month to get the menus under control without reading the Manual of course. But you really have 4 custom buttons and than the FN button can cover almost anything else just put most important stuff first so you can get to it pretty quick.

Godfrey

The one big on that will save power is review off. But in truth I have yet to get through 7 batteries the absolute most was three and I was cranking about 4 thousand images on the A7. Vertical grip helps as you barely notice it but no questions its a little pig on batteries. Review off does help a good deal. Seriously it takes a good month to get the menus under control without reading the Manual of course. But you really have 4 custom buttons and than the FN button can cover almost anything else just put most important stuff first so you can get to it pretty quick.
Deactivating the display may save power, and I always turn off auto-review; turning off auto-switching certainly will too. It's just that it's a pain to have to dive deep into the menus to find it, particularly when you've enabled only the EVF. Oh well.

I read the manual through a couple of times even before the camera arrived. Sadly, I find it very similar to the menus ... disorganized and somehow lacking. But it does list most of the stuff you need.

Given the specific nature of how I want to use the camera, I think I've got it almost completely sussed now. It works well enough, and suits the Leica R 50, 90, and 135 very well; I'm pretty sure it will do well with the 24 as well, should be here soon. I'll want the grip if I find I want to use the 180mm very much, hand held, as that's a brute of a lens to hold: weighs almost 3lbs. Only thing I haven't checked out yet is the WiFi and the accessory apps.

fun fun fun...

Guy Mancuso

I have yet to use wifi and apps as well. Not a big interest to me but I do need to get the tethered out soon as I have a two day studio shoot coming with about 8 models

jagsiva

I don't think it will be long before we can write the equivalent of "macros" and configure this kind of stuff on a PC and download to the camera. The tech is not rocket science, someone needs to just see the value of providing the right APIs to users in a context that is friendly.

GrahamB

I'd love to see an updated firmware with a "max battery" option, with hot key activation. In addition to being able to turn the rear lcd off (rather than blacking it as is the case now), and the auto-review off, the option should include "airplane mode", which turns off the wi-fi.

I have 3 Sony NF-FW50 batteries, and 2 Wasabi branded generics. I purchased the Wasabi's mainly for the included charger, ordered before the new Sony charger was available.

The Wasabi's have worked out well (they also receive good reviews on Amazon). Although I haven't performed tests, my impression is I'm getting more shots per charge with the Wasabi's. That's logical. The Sony's are 1080mAh, the Wasabi's are 1300mAh. Two batteries + charger for $27. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049WBZEK/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Graham

Dale Allyn

I have 3 Sony NF-FW50 batteries, and 2 Wasabi branded generics. I purchased the Wasabi's mainly for the included charger, ordered before the new Sony charger was available.

The Wasabi's have worked out well (they also receive good reviews on Amazon). Although I haven't performed tests, my impression is I'm getting more shots per charge with the Wasabi's. That's logical. The Sony's are 1080mAh, the Wasabi's are 1300mAh. Two batteries + charger for $27. Amazon.com: Wasabi Power Battery (2-Pack) and Charger for Sony NP-FW50 and Sony Alpha 7, a7, Alpha 7R, a7R, Alpha a3000, NEX-3, NEX-3N, NEX-5, NEX-5N, NEX-5R, NEX-5T, NEX-6, NEX-7, NEX-C3, NEX-F3, SLT-A33, SLT-A35, SLT-A37, SLT-A55V, Cyber-shot DSC-R
Graham
Just to add a data point: on a friend's recommendation, I purchased a similar offering from Wasabi (via Amazon) for my Fuji X-E2. The OEM Fuji charger is rather large and requires a long cord, so the Wasabi charger is great for travel as it is without the cord (directly plugs to the outlet). It also comes with a lightweight car adapter.

Like Graham states, I'm getting a little more life from the Wasabis over the OEM batteries as well.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Depending on your circumstances, I recommend Sony's BC-QM1 charger, which takes ANY of Sony's batteries. (Types W, V, H, P & M). I use the a99 as well as the a7r and it's nice to carry just one cordless charger.

Godfrey

Thanks for the battery recommendations. For $27, I can give the Wasabis a try.

I don't need the BC-QM1 charger, however, as I'm only using the A7 and for a specific purpose. I doubt I'll buy any other Sonys for a long time. I ordered the "Sony BC-TRW W Series Battery Charger" a week or two ago, just got the notice that it's shipped early.

Two chargers, four batteries ... sounds more than enough for my needs. :)

G

bcaslis

Deactivating the display may save power, and I always turn off auto-review; turning off auto-switching certainly will too. It's just that it's a pain to have to dive deep into the menus to find it, particularly when you've enabled only the EVF. Oh well.

I read the manual through a couple of times even before the camera arrived. Sadly, I find it very similar to the menus ... disorganized and somehow lacking. But it does list most of the stuff you need.

Given the specific nature of how I want to use the camera, I think I've got it almost completely sussed now. It works well enough, and suits the Leica R 50, 90, and 135 very well; I'm pretty sure it will do well with the 24 as well, should be here soon. I'll want the grip if I find I want to use the 180mm very much, hand held, as that's a brute of a lens to hold: weighs almost 3lbs. Only thing I haven't checked out yet is the WiFi and the accessory apps.

fun fun fun...
What about using the display mode on the top position of the rotary dial on the back? I use that to set my LCD to the quicknav display then just us the EVF to take a picture. This doesn't turn off the back display quickly but it doesn't switch back on forth. The EVF does turn off when not in use, but high-res EVFs like this actually use more power than the back LCD so that is a good thing.