The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Reid Reviews and a7r

tashley

Subscriber Member
I hope it isn't in poor taste, but can someone confirm or deny what I imagine the conclusion was?

M: Way better with wides, better colour at base ISO
A7r: better with ~35mm+, better DR and better high ISO
M: way better with M wides, colour is season to fast IMHO. But the files are very nice and unless you prefer the usability of the A7R and or want to print very large, remains a perfectly viable alternative - especially if you own and love M wides. Otherwise, there are some very nice wides out there by other makers and if you get a good adaptor, pretty much all but M style will work well.

douglasf13

I hope it isn't in poor taste, but can someone confirm or deny what I imagine the conclusion was?

M: Way better with wides, better colour at base ISO
A7r: better with ~35mm+, better DR and better high ISO
My guess would be:

M: Way better with wides
A7r: better with ~50mm+ (except 50 Lux,) better DR and better high ISO

FWIW, I also quit Sean's site a couple of years ago, partly because of the tedious format.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well my Leica 19R is killer good on the A7 and A7r guys. In the M world you just have to find the correct wides that work without issues.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
There are some exceptions though.
I have to say, Woody's 18 SE M lens over both the A7 and A7r looked just fine to my eyes... Ironically, it looked better than the 21 SE M lens did on either cam -- though the 21 was clearly very usable too -- again to my eyes...

tashley

Subscriber Member
Jack, my SE on the A7R is pretty damned poor... terrible shading and edges barely acceptable by F8, corners just about ok by F11 but diffraction is having its lunch by then

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I have to say, Woody's 18 SE M lens ... it looked better than the 21 SE M lens did on either cam -- though the 21 was clearly very usable too -- again to my eyes...
My 21 SE M is very poor on the A7R ... but the ZF.2 25 F2 is nothing short of exceptional....not as wide but seems wide enough most days. Stitching with it should be doable.

Bob

k-hawinkler

I like my WATE 16-18-21/4 on M9 and A7R.
Sometimes both cameras benefit from LCC.
No corner smearing at all, even wide open.

fotografz

M 21/1.4 ASPH seems to work well … a tad big, but at least you don't have to add a finder, and the grid overlay is helpful getting things squared up.

M28/2 ASPH is a mess on the A7R. Forgetaboutit.

- Marc

thrice

I have Ron Scheffler's full res samples of the 21 SEM and 21/2.8ZM and as someone who has seen the potential of these lens I can say that they performs horribly in the corners on the A7. The 21 Lux is also slightly below its potential.
Out of the 21SEM and 21ZM the 21ZM is definitely the more smeary of the two.

I'm sure if you're used to lesser lenses these would look fine, but I would expect biting sharpness corner to corner by f/4.0 with all of them.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
We should be putting this lens data in a better thread folks. It certainly will get lost. Maybe someone can start a thread on Leica, Zeiss, Voightlander M mounts on the Sony. Something like that . Having the reference for others is good to have around. Just a thought. Btw I did write a article on the front page if you care to read it. It's on the Sonys

OK, I take it back.

I wrote above that Sean had offered many lens tests that I found useful and valuable. But today he published what promised to be a review of 28mm M lenses on A7R and M240. The lenses were two (2): his 28 Cron and his old and no-longer-available 28 f3.5 Skopar.

I and apparently others had already written to tell him it's a mistake to review M lenses only on A7r body and not also on A7.

For this level of ambitious thoroughness I'm supposed to pay $35.00? Seems delusional.

jaree

I guess the fascination with M lenses on A7/R is that many folks, including me are still searching for that killer camera that can do justice to the M wides. I am not counting the M with its half **ed EVF as a killer camera.

jonoslack

Storm surge strikes St Ives harbour

Strangely beautiful even if highly damaging to real estate....
That doesn't look too bad - and if the stupid tossers hadn't knocked down the lovely granite wall around the harbour, then the Lifeboat would not have been swamped (they knocked it down and put railings up in the 60s because the hippies used to sit on it).

Is there damage to the wharf around your end of the harbour?

tashley

Subscriber Member
That doesn't look too bad - and if the stupid tossers hadn't knocked down the lovely granite wall around the harbour, then the Lifeboat would not have been swamped (they knocked it down and put railings up in the 60s because the hippies used to sit on it).

Is there damage to the wharf around your end of the harbour?
I hear not, but I haven't been down. My neighbour two doors down was having a cup of tea by the window a few days back and ended up in hospital because a wave smashed through and hit her, flooding her home...

jonoslack

I hear not, but I haven't been down. My neighbour two doors down was having a cup of tea by the window a few days back and ended up in hospital because a wave smashed through and hit her, flooding her home...
Ouch - how horrid - have you been looking at the pictures of Sennen?

tashley

Subscriber Member
I have - amazing. The cliff over which the waves have been smashing must be at least 150 feet high and the spray is coming right over...