The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

making compact technical camera for A7/A7r

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
That is quite astonishing in deed! :clap: Congratulations on this challenging project Chiek.

I am hesitating to ask a few questions, as some are obviously due to my lack of knowledge in the technical camera department. Appologies if they come across a little strangte perhaps.

I am not 100% certain that I understood what part of the GX680 are required for this construction. I read about the camera, and it seems there is some supply available, however, they are more or less collector items and not brand new, right? Does this not pose a problem due to wear and tear fo example.

You are not using gear driven mechanics, right? Does this not pose a problem for precise movements, say in architecture for example? (Again, I have zero experience in technical camera usage.)

I understand that this is a private project, hence I assume you can not give warranty of any kind. Are there any risks for the A7R involved, other than a lot of evironmental sensor exposure. I assume using the system in the field, requires a daily cleaning of the sensor afterwards, would that be right?

Thanks Chiek.
Best wishes
Georg

chiek

That is quite astonishing in deed! :clap: Congratulations on this challenging project Chiek.

I am hesitating to ask a few questions, as some are obviously due to my lack of knowledge in the technical camera department. Appologies if they come across a little strangte perhaps.

I am not 100% certain that I understood what part of the GX680 are required for this construction. I read about the camera, and it seems there is some supply available, however, they are more or less collector items and not brand new, right? Does this not pose a problem due to wear and tear fo example.

You are not using gear driven mechanics, right? Does this not pose a problem for precise movements, say in architecture for example? (Again, I have zero experience in technical camera usage.)

I understand that this is a private project, hence I assume you can not give warranty of any kind. Are there any risks for the A7R involved, other than a lot of evironmental sensor exposure. I assume using the system in the field, requires a daily cleaning of the sensor afterwards, would that be right?

Thanks Chiek.
Best wishes
Georg
1. Most GX680 parts needed.
Frt Standard, Rail, Bellows and Rear Metal plate. Almost all Body.

2. It is gear driven and locking knob. so I think it is perfect for stitching.

3. I disagree. If Frt standard is very close to sensor, It can't touch sensor surface.

If Worry about dust, Just put the body/lens cover.

Regards,

chiek

my design concepts,

Sony a7 has very short flange back so It can accepts Most lens. so I designed for shortest flange DSLR, Canon EOS.

I want breathe new life to old GX680 body within first mirrorless, Sony a7 body.

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
chiek, i could use some clarification:

so if i understand this correctly:

one must purchase the Fuji GX 680 front standard and rail (and you are supplying those)
and what you are making is the connection between the A7 and the GX standard and the connection between the GX680 and a Canon ES flange.
focus is done with the canon lens helicoid.

all the shifting and tilting is done on the GX680 standard

where would the bellows be used?

jm

chiek

Many people interested and asked functions. so I will generate for upgrade idea.

I think If this camera enable EOS AF & aperture control, like metabones3, It will be better.

I tried it and I think It can make it. but Very difficult work so Price will be very higher...

Annna T

Many people interested and asked functions. so I will generate for upgrade idea.

I think If this camera enable EOS AF & aperture control, like metabones3, It will be better.

I tried it and I think It can make it. but Very difficult work so Price will be very higher...
It is sure interesting, but are there EOS lenses that will have enough coverage to allow movements without too much corner problems ? Apart of the TSE lenses, but then those are already offering movements..

chiek

It is sure interesting, but are there EOS lenses that will have enough coverage to allow movements without too much corner problems ? Apart of the TSE lenses, but then those are already offering movements..
I see but Typical movements is easier than TS lens own movements for many photographers.
and because of not use lens internal movements, all the time Lens center is in center of front frame. It is benefit to avoid interference.

EOS mounts is just bridge for MOST lens and PLUS enable 17, 24 TS.

My idea added to rear shift scale.

Annna T

I see but Typical movements is easier than TS lens own movements for many photographers.
and because of not use lens internal movements, all the time Lens center is in center of front frame. It is benefit to avoid interference.

EOS mounts is just bridge for MOST lens and PLUS enable 17, 24 TS.

My idea added to rear shift scale.
Thank you for your answer. I think that I'm beginning to get it : both the lens (front standard) and the back standard holding the camera are moving in a perfectly synchronized manner ? The goal is mainly to stitching several frames more easily (no parallaxe problem, since everything always move in the same plan and remember parallel).

Did I get it correctly ? Then if the movements of the two standards (front and back) are perfectly synchronized it isn't exactly what we name a technical camera.. But still an interesting idea.

DennisHHH

Great set up! How much would it cost for a 645 Pentax lens plate and a APO Rodenstock enlarging lens mounting plate? What is the time frame for delivery and is there a warranty? When is the next model coming with more shift capabilities?

chiek

Thank you for your answer. I think that I'm beginning to get it : both the lens (front standard) and the back standard holding the camera are moving in a perfectly synchronized manner ? The goal is mainly to stitching several frames more easily (no parallaxe problem, since everything always move in the same plan and remember parallel).

Did I get it correctly ? Then if the movements of the two standards (front and back) are perfectly synchronized it isn't exactly what we name a technical camera.. But still an interesting idea.
Frt/Rr standard is perfect paralell that is my goal, too. I tested 2times during making, Both test checks parallax check especially final test.

Great set up! How much would it cost for a 645 Pentax lens plate and a APO Rodenstock enlarging lens mounting plate? What is the time frame for delivery and is there a warranty? When is the next model coming with more shift capabilities?
DennisHHH, I'm just a photographer. Not a machinist or maker.
I will ask my machinist how much but if special order like you, it needs pentax645 parts like disassemble extension ring, it will be cost higher.

Standard copal lens board is very easy to make but special orders, like pentax645, contax645 (I think it is one of the best for my concepts, however aperture set not convenient like eos aperture), hasselblad cf or H, are needs special parts so price is more up and up.

Delivery times and others, please visit this cam site FAQ.
http://chiek.co.kr/list/view.php?id=6807&page=1&sn1=&divpage=1&sn=off&ss=on&sc=on&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=4&PHPSESSID=d7933fd5af9607afcc2e02d083e57694

This is just a concepts for technical movement photographer.
Concepts design will be more generation. I added rear shift scale today.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks for interest.

Last edited:

Godfrey

These photos of the rig make me wish I had a reason to buy one of these setups. Techie-seduction in action. ;-)

G

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Hi Chiek,

I am wondering, why would I want to attach a Tilt/Shift glass to your Tilt/Shift construction? What is the advantage?

I know, probably a most stupid question, but if you never handled a technical camera, funny questions can pop up at times.

Thanks!
Georg

chiek

Thanks for many interest.
Hi Chiek,

I am wondering, why would I want to attach a Tilt/Shift glass to your Tilt/Shift construction? What is the advantage?

I know, probably a most stupid question, but if you never handled a technical camera, funny questions can pop up at times.

Thanks!
Georg
Typical movements is easier than TS lens own movements for many photographers.