The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

making compact technical camera for A7/A7r

Hi Chiek,

Awesome work once again!

I just had a quick question, was just wondering what the longest/heaviest lens is that you could place on your camera?

Would a Canon 70-200mm be possible? It weighs 1570grams.

I see the Fuji GX680 has some seriously heavy lenses including the 500mm f8 and the 100-200mm 5.6 zoom (which may need extra support).

So I assume they have made the front standard strong enough to support quite a bit of weight..

Am wondering if this would have any effect on the "shutter vibration issue" that many people have seemingly reported with the Sony A7R when using longer lenses?

Ok, thanks so much, eagerly look forward to further progress with having a stitching X/Y back :)

Thanks again!

chiek

Hi Chiek,
Would a Canon 70-200mm be possible? It weighs 1570grams.

I see the Fuji GX680 has some seriously heavy lenses including the 500mm f8 and the 100-200mm 5.6 zoom (which may need extra support).

So I assume they have made the front standard strong enough to support quite a bit of weight..

Am wondering if this would have any effect on the "shutter vibration issue" that many people have seemingly reported with the Sony A7R when using longer lenses?

Ok, thanks so much, eagerly look forward to further progress with having a stitching X/Y back :)

Thanks again!
Yes, GX680 frt standard can support heavy lens, I guess It supports 70-200L. (I have not. :salute:)

I see a7R's vibration issue. but my experience, I have not issue on Handheld / tripod shot.

If I make rear Y axis Gear driven, I think it's size is more larger.
Is it alright for many photographers?

I would be very interested in having a camera that enabled X/Y geared axis shifting! I was looking to purchase and then modify a Rhinocam for use on the Sony A7R but your concept seems to be a much more well rounded, complete package with a lot more options :)

Coming from a large format background, one thing I do like about the Rhinocam, is the ability to "previsualise" the final stitched image by viewing the image on the supplied groudglass.. I do not know if that is at all possible with your concept but I think for landscape/architecture it is very important..

Great work, look forward to the progress!

psy501

Like This ?

I don't like this design. I want to small compact technical camera.
..hmm..i personally wouldnt have a problem with this design..

..i hope that my question is not too stupid..sorry in case i didnt get everything right: the rails that fix the "front standard" and the "rear standard", do they have to be that long ?

..if i imagine storing the camera in my bag i had more problems storing it because of the rails than because of the geared rear standard..

..just my 2c..:)

..even with gaining bulk i would prefer the geared rear standard..

..erik..

davidada

Fantastic shot!
I just emailed you with questions on the system I need it for fine art reproduction , so ideally it has to have shift in both axis, can you do this?
Keep up the good work!

chiek

1st Early birds 10 orders preparing to ship

1st Early birds 10 orders preparing to ship. Now, Final Testing.
Thanks for purchase. but It is Very hard work. I hope to discontinue this… ;-)

It is new design, I called version 1.5. changeable bellows systems so can accepts long flange back lens like GX680 telephoto or large format lens.
Y axis not yet (version 2.0).
actually, Design is completed but not make yet. I want to Rest.

Last edited:
Massive congratulations to you sir! That is all kinds of awesomeness!

Please put me down as your first pre-order with gear driven Y-Axis camera!

That is, after you have had a well deserved rest :p

Just had a few more questions..

* Will the new version have electronic contacts to enable communication with Canon lenses? It's no problem if not, changing the aperture is possible with the Metabones adapter I have but of course it would be more convenient :)

* With the new gear driven Y-axis version, will it be possible to effectively stitch to the whole image circle of the original Fuji GX680 lenses with no parallax? Rear Y-Axis and Rear X-Axis?

* You have previously mentioned using a Hasselblad X-Pan lens on it, given it is a rangefinder lens with a flange distance of 34.27 and the Sony E-mount is 18mm, is that enough distance to use and have movements with?

Ok, thanks so much once again and congratulations on your great work!

If anyone on this forum has ordered one, it would be great to hear your thoughts on it as well as seeing some sample photos.. :)

chiek

Massive congratulations to you sir! That is all kinds of awesomeness!

Please put me down as your first pre-order with gear driven Y-Axis camera!

That is, after you have had a well deserved rest :p

Just had a few more questions..

* Will the new version have electronic contacts to enable communication with Canon lenses? It's no problem if not, changing the aperture is possible with the Metabones adapter I have but of course it would be more convenient :)

* With the new gear driven Y-axis version, will it be possible to effectively stitch to the whole image circle of the original Fuji GX680 lenses with no parallax? Rear Y-Axis and Rear X-Axis?

* You have previously mentioned using a Hasselblad X-Pan lens on it, given it is a rangefinder lens with a flange distance of 34.27 and the Sony E-mount is 18mm, is that enough distance to use and have movements with?

Ok, thanks so much once again and congratulations on your great work!

If anyone on this forum has ordered one, it would be great to hear your thoughts on it as well as seeing some sample photos.. :)

Version 2.0 summary

But Not yet, It's future projects.
I'm very busy for my job, commercial shot.

How much do the price is fair , good price ? (X axis +/-50mm, Y axis +/-15mm).
Actually, Some trouble in my job, commercial shot because of these making camera.

Canon Electric aperture is tested but Not NOW. maybe version 3.0 ?

compact technical camera for a7/R

Last edited:

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Finally, Shipped.
Chiek,

having "looked over your shoulder" from the very beginning to the final product shippment, I would like to congratulate you for a truly outstanding achievement. I can't wait to read the first user reviews and see examples of their work.

You must be very proud in deed, besides probably being very tired too, to see the first final shippment leaving your place. This thread started in January this year and is one of the most interesting I had ever come across. You had a dream and you manifested this in a very short amount of time. I sincerely hope that sales exceeds your expectations multifold. You deserve it!

Amazing accomplishment Sir!:salute:

Best wishes
Georg

chiek

Chiek,

having "looked over your shoulder" from the very beginning to the final product shippment, I would like to congratulate you for a truly outstanding achievement. I can't wait to read the first user reviews and see examples of their work.

You must be very proud in deed, besides probably being very tired too, to see the first final shippment leaving your place. This thread started in January this year and is one of the most interesting I had ever come across. You had a dream and you manifested this in a very short amount of time. I sincerely hope that sales exceeds your expectations multifold. You deserve it!

Amazing accomplishment Sir!:salute:

Best wishes
Georg
You overpraise!
I'm very interest in What photographers wants.
When I take a photographs for my job, I need some features like simply shift/tilt. and I hope to use GOOD resolution compact camera through my several brand lens.

That's all.

Thanks,
JK from Seoul

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
You overpraise!
I'm very interest in What photographers wants.
When I take a photographs for my job, I need some features like simply shift/tilt. and I hope to use GOOD resolution compact camera through my several brand lens.

That's all.

Thanks,
JK from Seoul
You understate. ;)

I understand that your development came out of your own requirements. However, don't sell yourself short, it is quite an achievement to pull that stunt in a few month and have a ready to be shipped product.

Anyhow. Thanks for posting in the techcam examples thread!

Uaiomex

Chiek, congratulations again. You are awesome man!
I wanted to tell you that an EOS electronic mount would be perfection.
I just returned a Rhinocam because I didn't like the results from my Hasselblad V CF lens. The 140 mp stitch produces a sharper more detailed image than one single (A6000) shot with the 20mm prime but the difference is not espectacular. Many problems can be seen as a general very subtle fog. I'm sure the lens is fine as it works great with film (not a surprise here, of course).
I think the V glass is obsolete now as most MF legacy lenses.
I'm pretty sure that I would get a comparable to the 140mp V glass Rhinocam (if not better) image using an A7r with TS glass.
A lot less hassle and a lot quicker.
My V legacy gear definitely goes now to the family memorabilia trunk in the attic. :cry:
Best
Eduardo

Canon Electric aperture is tested but Not NOW. maybe version 3.0 ?

compact technical camera for a7/R[/QUOTE]

Last edited: